Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2023 7:50:17 PM EDT
I'd like to know as accurately as possible what parts of the city to avoid? My wife has informed me that Easter weekend we have a family event that we can't miss down by pikes place market. I haven't been to Seattle in years. Help a simple redneck out please.

Also, before anyone says it, if it were up to me I'd avoid all of it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
That whole area around Pikes is a shit hole. Homeless, drugs, etc all over the place. Watch where you walk so you don’t step in ??
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not the lawless wasteland most people here make it out to be.  Keep out of Condition White and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not the lawless wasteland most people here make it out to be.  Keep out of Condition White and you'll be fine.
View Quote

3rd and Pine is historically the spot for drug dealers.  That's near Pike's place.  Pioneer square has lots of homeless.  Common sense applies as well.  Don't find yourself walking around by yourself on the streets after dark.  

I'd carry a concealed piece of course.  Be real sure if you have to use it; Bob Ferguson will appear faster than Ben Crump if it's questionable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's gotten better?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't find yourself walking around by yourself on the streets after dark.  
View Quote

That’s the best piece of advice. The touristy areas around the market and the waterfront will be fine during the day when crowds are around. Be prepared for the odor of pot smoke everywhere. Go see the gum wall. Grab some Dick’s on Capitol Hill.

I don’t know if has improved, but the last time I was down there Pike Street between 2nd and 5th looked like a scene out of a 3rd world country. Would definitely recommend avoiding.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's gotten better?
View Quote

'Better' or 'worse' is usually a matter of opinion, but I think there are a lot of people around here scared of their own shadows and have never lived in a big city and had to deal with homeless and junkies.

I also think things like 'don't go at night' and 'take your carry piece' are just common sense.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

'Better' or 'worse' is usually a matter of opinion, but I think there are a lot of people around here scared of their own shadows and have never lived in a big city and had to deal with homeless and junkies.

I also think things like 'don't go at night' and 'take your carry piece' are just common sense.
View Quote

If you think the Seattle of today is in any where near comparable to the Seattle of 20 years ago you're being dishonest with yourself and with us

Used to be I would walk around Seattle all day and could count the number of homeless and open drug users I saw on one hand
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you think the Seattle of today is in any where near comparable to the Seattle of 20 years ago you're being dishonest with yourself and with us

Used to be I would walk around Seattle all day and could count the number of homeless and open drug users I saw on one hand
View Quote

Of course it's not like 20 years ago, who said that?  Cav left town like 6 months ago, that's what I'm comparing to.

The point I'm making is that everyone talks about Seattle like it's something out of Escape From New York, and it's not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Of course it's not like 20 years ago, who said that?  Cav left town like 6 months ago, that's what I'm comparing to.

The point I'm making is that everyone talks about Seattle like it's something out of Escape From New York, and it's not.
View Quote

Gee, I dunno. After seeing homeless encampments not only around the city, but even down below it, around the express lanes, I'd say that's pushing beyond where even I thought things would be heading 20+ years ago. Place is fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I cannot imagine anything that could entice me to go to Seattle. I can barely tolerate driving through on the freeway. The garbage and tarp towns along the highway are just gorgeous. If that's the stuff you can see, just imagine what's there that you can't see.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Last time i was in Seattle was 2011...I havnt even been on I5 for 3 years...made it a year without crossing the Narrows bridge....its been nice

Quoted:
I cannot imagine anything that could entice me to go to Seattle. I can barely tolerate driving through on the freeway. The garbage and tarp towns along the highway are just gorgeous. If that's the stuff you can see, just imagine what's there that you can't see.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Last time i was in Seattle was 2011...I havnt even been on I5 for 3 years...made it a year without crossing the Narrows bridge....its been nice

View Quote

Aren't you on the KP? We are probably neighbors
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruth’s Chris is still worth a visit. The market and waterfront attractions are a fun time on a nice day. I didn’t see any homeless people or drug use on the underground tour. It’s not a total hellscape.

Plus, engaging in risky activities has an entertainment value all its own.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah,  we have 40 acres in Longbranch but live town(GH)  i usually go out to the KP in the mornjngs and it blows my mind how many cars are coming off the KP these days. It's going to be a nightmare during the creek project Purdy.  

Quoted:

Aren't you on the KP? We are probably neighbors
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#15]
As they quote in the KOMO episode, “Seattle is Dying”, “It’s embarrassing.”
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't stay around when it is dark. Most tourist spots are okay. You do see homeless people but they normally don't bother people. Either they are asleep/drugged out, begging, or just sitting there. Well at least in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw at least 4 different sidewalk dwellers smoking something with a spoon in a 3 block walk from Benaroya Hall to dinner last night. 3rd Ave. between Pike and Pine was always the hotspot when I was growing up in Seattle, but it's spread across most of downtown now it seems.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I was born in Seattle in 1948 and got out in 1986.Be careful in that area; I would not go because why invite problems?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Who was the local that used to post defending going downtown and that all of our first-hand experience and observations where overblown baloney and then like 2 weeks later CHAZ happened?  I never chuckled so much....
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who was the local that used to post defending going downtown and that all of our first-hand experience and observations where overblown baloney and then like 2 weeks later CHAZ happened?  I never chuckled so much....
View Quote

Regulatori.

Then when that name got banned, he came back as Martin something.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Much to my wife's frustration, I've already vetoed a few late night dinners that seemed too close to downtown. Ordered some narcan for the first aid kit that lives in the car.
Thanks for the heads up from those of you who contributed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Much to my wife's frustration, I've already vetoed a few late night dinners that seemed too close to downtown. Ordered some narcan for the first aid kit that lives in the car.
Thanks for the heads up from those of you who contributed.
View Quote

Which restaurants?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which restaurants?
View Quote

I have no idea. There's a hard no for seattle downtown evenings. She tried asking a few different ways. Probably, we'd be fine. I figure avoiding downtown after dark is easiest. We usually like to stay a littler later and enjoy a few drinks so I'd either end up leaving a gun in a car or carrying in a bar. I don't care to do either especially in an area I know nothing about.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Grab some Dick's on Capitol Hill.

View Quote
Glad you got that apostrophe in there...
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I wanted to thank everyone for contributing again. We made it without any incidents. It's certainly dirtier than the last time I was there, but that was at least 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I still can’t wrap my mind around the idea of being so terrified of Seattle as to not be able to enjoy dinner at a nice restaurant downtown
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I still can’t wrap my mind around the idea of being so terrified of Seattle as to not be able to enjoy dinner at a nice restaurant downtown
View Quote

I wouldn’t say terrified fits. It’s more like they are saying it isn’t worth it. But continue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t say terrified fits. It’s more like they are saying it isn’t worth it. But continue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turning down multiple requests out of hand? Without even knowing the names and locations of the restaurants? Not even trying to come up with an alternative to accommodate the requests? Yeah, that’s a bit past “just not worth it”. If it’s not excessive paranoia, it’s something else that isn’t a great look, either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Been about 10 yrs since I’ve been there, I need to go across the ferry at Bainbridge this summer.  It looks better from the water.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Regulatori.

View Quote

@Boomer

Martin as in defending Fauci and the Covid vaccines? LOL!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@Boomer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regulatori.

@Boomer

Martin248. Yeah, he was right up there with Rodent in proclaining the virtues of Fauci and the vaccines.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Just stay away from the encampments and groups, like anywhere else, keep your head up.

They've actually cleaned up the city a lot over the winter.  

Used to be solid graffiti all the way from Michigan Ave to North Gate, now it's just mismatched paint and the new nightly tagings.

The encampments have also really changed.  Dearborn from I5 to Rainer was nasty, big encampment on the hill under 12th Ave, the alley behind Goodwill was skid row and all along the south side of Dearborn was tents and pallet houses.  They cleared the hill and the alley and everyone just moved down the street under the I90 interchange, but they cleared and fenced that.

Colorado Ave north of Spokane in Sodo, Elliot Ave in Magnolia all along the park and under the Ship Canal bridge at Northlake.  Surprised it took so long on that one, being so visible to everyone traveling I5.  Not sure where they pushed them to, but it's a lot better than it was in the places I frequent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure, go to Seattle and just dodge the poop and addicts.  Make sure you spend plenty of money so they can spend it on things you don't support.  As long as it doesn't hurt them in the $$ it will keep getting worse.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Am heading to 300 block of Stewart St this afternoon…will not tarry.  I used to live in Lacey in the late 70’s and Seattle was clean and a nice place to visit. Times have changed….not for the better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Must say I am impressed since my last visit last September for opening night of Monday Night Football…Rode up in Lyft from hotel in SeaTac area up I-5 N .all the vagabond camps seem to be cleaned up along until you get to the I5/I-90 area.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Heading to Pike's this afternoon. Looking for raw bar- seafood not fried food.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That’s the best piece of advice. The touristy areas around the market and the waterfront will be fine during the day when crowds are around. Be prepared for the odor of pot smoke everywhere. Go see the gum wall. Grab some Dick’s on Capitol Hill.

I don’t know if has improved, but the last time I was down there Pike Street between 2nd and 5th looked like a scene out of a 3rd world country. Would definitely recommend avoiding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't find yourself walking around by yourself on the streets after dark.  

Uhh....phrasing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Heading to Pike's this afternoon. Looking for raw bar- seafood not fried food.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Japonessa in the vicinity of Seattle Art Museum is solid sushi. Great omakse. I prefer the Bellevue location because it feels cleaner, but I’m confident you’ll like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top