Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2021 12:54:41 AM EDT
Anyone here ever shoot at the Park County Range run by CPW?  I am up around Fairplay this week. Usually when I shoot around here I shoot on Forest Service land, thinking about checking it out though. Supposedly has a rifle range with steel targets out to 600 yards.  Also it says it has a true skeet setup, I didn't bring shotguns though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a while since I was there. They were doing some landfill work last time and it shut down some of the further targets. Not sure if they resolved that.

It wasn't a bad range for the cost ().

Be sure to give a range report on current status.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
In for AAR
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Headed out there to check it out today.  The range is a couple miles South of Como. It was a nice range run by CPW. Range fee was $10 per shooter.  There was a little shack for an attendant, but it was unoccupied today, not surprising given it was a weekday in October. It had 3 short, maybe 50 yard ranges separated by berms with well built paper target stands for pistol and sighting in rifles, a few shotgun ranges with mechanical throwers for clay pigeons, and several rifle ranges that varied in length but had some steel targets out to 300 yards.  Some websites mentioned being able to shoot to 600yds, I didn't see anything set up for that.

All of the ranges were nicely separated by well built berms.  The firing lines (except for the shotgun areas) had nice covered concrete shooting benches.  You can drive your truck right up to the firing lines, which makes it pretty quick and easy to unload your gear and start shooting.  There were a few other shooters there who all gave a friendly wave as they drove past, but we had our own 50 yard range to ourself to zero the rifles, and shoot pistol from closer ranges.  We also had a rifle range to ourselves with about 5 steel target animals to shoot at.  

Plunking the mountain lion, bear and deer at 300 yards with an AR/LPVO, and also a scoped bolt action .30-06 was a blast. It's been a while since I've shot out past 100 yards, so that was fun. My friend, who doesn't shoot too frequently, brought his son along for his first time shooting. The kid had a blast and learned some basic firearm safety. That made the day all the better.

All in all it was a great day at a nice range. If you're ever out in Park County, or just looking for a nice laid back range where you can shoot a fairly long way I recommend you check it out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been a while since I was there. They were doing some landfill work last time and it shut down some of the further targets. Not sure if they resolved that.

It wasn't a bad range for the cost ().

Be sure to give a range report on current status.
View Quote
I'm retarded. I had Chaffee county shooting range next to the dump in my head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top