Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 11:45:07 AM EDT
I wear many hats, and one of them is that I raise hogs for slaughter.  Lots of them.  I am being directly affected by the Tyson and IPC shut downs.  Is anybody else here affected?  Do you raise hogs, or maybe work at one of the plants?  Maybe you own a butcher shop and are being over run?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been affected directly, but a while back I had committed to buy half a hog from a friend who does small-scale farming. My wife just picked it up yesterday. The packing house is swamped and it's hard to even get through to them. He said you can get entire hog for almost nothing right now because farmers are having such a hard time moving them. Tempting, but my freezer is already packed full of venison and now pork. Maybe I can do a pig roast and have all the neighbors come take some. Best of luck to you, I hope you are able to get yours processed soon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wear many hats, and one of them is that I raise hogs for slaughter.  Lots of them.  I am being directly affected by the Tyson and IPC shut downs.  Is anybody else here affected?  Do you raise hogs, or maybe work at one of the plants?  Maybe you own a butcher shop and are being over run?  Just curious.
View Quote

What county are you in? I asked one of my friends about it and he got lucky, he was able to drop his off at Logan before they closed. He said he was not permitted to sell of any even if the plant was closed, he would he the kill them and dispose of them. I know all he has now are piglets, I would think if Tyson's isnt buying them from the farmer it is theirs to do with what they want with them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ghostface:

What county are you in? I asked one of my friends about it and he got lucky, he was able to drop his off at Logan before they closed. He said he was not permitted to sell of any even if the plant was closed, he would he the kill them and dispose of them. I know all he has now are piglets, I would think if Tyson's isnt buying them from the farmer it is theirs to do with what they want with them.
View Quote

They're probably contract hogs. The farmer doesn't own them. The packing company does, the packing company owns the piglets, pays for veterinary care, delivers the feed, sends the trucks to pick them up, and cuts a check to the farmer for $XX per head for raising them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yesterday I scored a hog, must not have been a contract one. I had just recieved half of one, already processed, the week before, but for the price I couldn't pass this one up. I feel bad for the guy who still has hundreds of them left in his barn, though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:

What county are you in? I asked one of my friends about it and he got lucky, he was able to drop his off at Logan before they closed. He said he was not permitted to sell of any even if the plant was closed, he would he the kill them and dispose of them. I know all he has now are piglets, I would think if Tyson's isnt buying them from the farmer it is theirs to do with what they want with them.
View Quote

Miami County.  We do contract finish.  Luckily, Tyson and IPC are up and running again at partial strength.  We are due to start selling in a week or 2, so I hope they continue to ramp up their operations.  I'm not 100% sure what the company we raise for is going to do if we get into a position where the pigs are too big to go to the packers.  Hopefully we can at least donate to food banks and such.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By roadstar:

Miami County.  We do contract finish.  Luckily, Tyson and IPC are up and running again at partial strength.  We are due to start selling in a week or 2, so I hope they continue to ramp up their operations.  I'm not 100% sure what the company we raise for is going to do if we get into a position where the pigs are too big to go to the packers.  Hopefully we can at least donate to food banks and such.
View Quote

Well, if something happens and you need help "killing" your pigs I would be willing to help kill about 10-20 (maybe more) if the fee for such an opportunity were right...

ETA, and that's not a joke...we have the necessary equipment and facilities to come to you and take them offsite for appropriate killing and disposal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to know.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad and I raise hogs.  Luckily so far we have been able to keep moving them out.  To a broker in New York of all places, who is selling them to locals in his area for butchering at their local small scale packers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top