Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 1:53:38 AM EDT
Posted this in GD a few days ago, and though I would post it here as well...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/feds-suspect-vast-fraud-network-is-targeting-us-unemployment-systems/ar-BB14biP3?li=BBnb7Kz

The link is worth the read, but here are a few excerpts...

SEATTLE — A group of international fraudsters appears to have mounted an immense, sophisticated attack on U.S. unemployment systems, creating a network that has already siphoned millions of dollars in payments that were intended to avert an economic collapse, according to federal authorities.

The attackers have used detailed information about U.S. citizens, such as social security numbers that may have been obtained from cyber hacks of years past, to file claims on behalf of people who have not been laid off, officials said. The attack has exploited state unemployment systems at a time when they are straining to process a crush of claims from an employment crisis unmatched since the Great Depression.
View Quote

and

The Secret Service memo said Washington State had emerged as the primary target thus far, but there was also evidence of attacks in Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Wyoming. The agency warned that every state was vulnerable and could be targeted, noting that the attackers appeared to have extensive records of personally identifiable information, or P.I.I.
View Quote

Providing this as info, if you get any kind of notification of possible benefits surrounding unemployment, you may want to review this carefully...

For Washington State residents:

https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/unemployment-benefits-fraud

Link to the GD thread if interested, https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/PSA-WA-State-and-others-Vast-Fraud-Network-Is-Targeting-U-S-Unemployment-Systems/5-2329001/

I got hit with this, but am currently working.... I went to the website to create an account just to check, and my SSN was already associated with a claim with an unknown email address...

If you think your employment status may change and think that you may  need unemployment benefits in the future, you may want to proactively check this... I wouldn't want to become unemployed and go to file only to find this out, as I am sure it will be time consuming to resolve...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a number of friends who got hit by this.  Some with fraudulent claims in their names.  Others decided to create the accounts, and found there were accounts already in their names.  I created an account for myself, and found that I was good.  My wife checked her account from several years back, and she was good.  (But she decided to update her password anyway.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
We have had 3 people at work, who are currently working have unemployment claims filed in their name. Luckily we are a small company and accounting knew they were false claims. Still have to go through all the legal junk to fight it though. Such a pain in the ass for the people that got hit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just posted this in general... same thing for me as you others... got hit for a fraudulent claim, reported it, then when I tried to open my own account was told someone had already used my SS# under an unknown email... I can't get through the phone line to get this straightened out, meaning make an account for myself with my information.

what other actions have you guys taken?... have you been able to re-own you'r SS# with the unemployment office?.... are you worried that your SS# will be used elsewhere or you think this is contained in our unemployment system?

this really bothers me.

I'd like to lock my credit with the three credit bureaus..

I've been informed that an unemployment claim has been made in my name by my employer(along with half a dozen others)... I'm not sure when exactly this happened, but the message my manager texted me that she had received from HR about getting hit with these claims(in general) is dated 5/12... soo I dunno WTF?

I inquired with the state system, sent a fraud alert in to close the current thieving claim...  I had gotten advice from a friend only a couple days ago to register an account with our state's unemployment office to get ahead of fraud and own my identity with them(apparently you can do this without filing for any moneys)... when I tried to do so today they reported that my SS# had already been used to open a claim .. you're supposed to call to get things straight(open on Saturday, can you believe it?), but of course they're busy and hang up after busy recording... dunno if I'll ever get through that bureaucratic nightmare.

I dunno what that means or where this fraud bullshit goes from here, if it's contained in the employment system or what, but I'd like to be proactive.

I checked my bank accounts and nothing's fishy there... I got credit reports from all three outfits and everything's in line there..

next steps?... any advice?

this state is a fucking joke
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife had her email address reassigned.. Which was weird because we could still login (using password reset).
No idea how they did what they did.. But there was a claim

First hint was we got a letter in the mail..
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My sister and a bunch of people at her office got swept up. They found out from her work; were never contacted directly by ESD.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#7]
ESD is completely swamped. I predict the true cost of this fraud against WA cannot possibly be calculated until November 4th or later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top