Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2021 11:26:06 PM EDT
Just got an email that the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club has suspended the youth program and seized all guns and equipment for them to sell.  I guess the practical director didn't like having money go to the youth program so he passed a motion to cancel the program. I had heard rumblings that they really want to get rid of every shooting discipline at this club and make it a practical only club. It sounded like there was a lot of tension between the the Practical division and the lesser divisions. I mean I get it that's where all the money is but its sad to see a once proud club basically turning into a money hungry venture.

It's to bad my kids loved attending there.

What other ranges in the valley have youth programs?

Edit: I see Rio Salado does.  I think I might tour there with the kids and see what it is like.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a great way to damage the future of their sport.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Did this email just go to select members or the entire membership?

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a great way to damage the future of their sport.
View Quote

Absolutely...very short sighted.  Sounds like the entire board needs a good re-think come election time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the parents in the youth program got an email saying the board had cancelled the youth programs against any wishes of the coach or youth director and without any notice. I know the director got an email from the board where they informed that they changed the bylaws to basically cut out any youth program. The motion to cut out youth program from the bylaws was done by the practical director.  The rest was honestly guesses by some parents given how they have heard the board president and practical director talk in the past.  I probably should have left that out as its hear say and guesses.  I really have no idea why they did it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I am a member and I didn't get it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
There isn't a "youth program" per se, officially it is/was the Junior Division.
In the past, JrDiv was mostly self funding with brass sales and fund raisers. The former division director (prior to whoever is currently running it now) did an outstanding job training kids in the classical style of rifle marksmanship. The BoD did approve and assisted with the purchase of several Anschutz rifles at the tune of a few $k iirc.

(Major purchases are jointly funded by the division and the Club).

The BoD had also decided to broaden the scope of the JrDiv to include forays into the other disciplines offered at the range like Practical, HiPower and Pistol (bullseye).
You would have to ask those that participated how that went.

I doubt the Practical Director wants to make the Club a "practical only" affair. As a matter of record, he opened the Practical Range to all members and was the driving force on getting the new Steel Bays running, again for all Club members. A caveat was to demonstrate that said members can safely draw & holster a live weapon.

Attend any of the BoD meetings (that are open to members btw) and listen to the monthly reports.
With all the other divisions combined, they couldn't get near the participation figures that Practical generates.

I do know that the BoD disbanded the Small Bore Division (following the election of a new director) last year, so the news of doing away with JrDiv doesn't come as a surprise.

In the Club's defense, they continue to make improvements to all ranges for the benefit of every member.

I've been out of the BoD loop for a while, so any comment as to why they did what they did would be pure speculation on my part. Checking with friends who are also members, they didn't receive any email notice to the current affairs.

If you are a member and don't approve of how the Club is run, get your name on the candidate roster to serve on the BoD. There are member elections every year.

Until that day
MP
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been a member for decades and I have a pretty high opinion of the current club president, his then-teenaged daughter was the top junior on the Arizona Junior High Power Rifle Team in the mid to late 90's, so he is supportive of junior programs. So I emailed him.

his reply was that the Junior Division has not had any scheduled shoots in months, the current (or now ex-) director has not showed up for BoD meetings including the one where the bylaws require the division director be selected. (how much of this is CoViD related I don't know) They have recently bought new rifles, but might sell off some older unused gear.

He continued that as soon as a volunteer director comes forward with a training plan and recruits some students they can restart the program.

A couple of years ago, the then Jr Director did have sessions for the juniors in other divisions, Since I'm active in both High Power Rifle (CMP/NRA style) and Bullseye Pistol (NRA and Olympic style) and I'm a volunteer coach, I helped both of those training sessions. then-Jr director actually had a pretty good training technique for pistol which included a hanging support to help the smaller juniors hold up the weight of the target pistol.

So, there is a huge volunteer opportunity for anyone interested in running a junior program! (club director must be a member for 2 years or more prior to becoming a director)

And there is a chance to get your own kids/grandkids/neighbors' kids into a newly reconstructed junior program.

Poole
(I was PRGC board for years and president in 2010)

links:
https://phoenixrodandgun.org/
http://www.arizonajuniorhp.com/ Arizona Junior High Power Rifle Team mentioned above not affiliated with PRGC but they shoot at PRGC monthly and most of the coaches are PRGC members
http://www.asrpa.com/ our state association
http://www.asrpa.com/Divisions/divisions.html contains this text:
ASRPA Junior Marksmanship Program.
Junior Smallbore Rifle Marksmanship Program

Providing training for boys and girls ages 10 - 21 in prone, sitting, kneeling and standing positions.  .22 caliber target rifles, ammunition and all equipment are provided.  

Participants earn NRA classifications and are awarded certificates, patches and medals.

Programs are in place to graduate young shooters into our ASRPA Junior High Power Program.  Parental involvement and support is also mandatory.

Contact Brett Schomaker  at brett.schomaker(at)gmail.com for details
(That is the program weekday evenings at Ben Avery, I don't know if its still on or suspended due to Avery CoViD restrictions)

I ran that program for 1 year at Ben Avery, it is a TON of work, especially since I had an hour drive from work, so the guys running any such program deserve our thanks!

different discipline:
Ben Avery has a great SHOTGUN program called Scholastic Clay Target, its nationwide, Rio Salado has a team too, but they are on hold due to CoViD.
https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/scholastic/

ya'll shoot good!

Poole

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the additional info Bill
M
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the information Bill.  I know the current or past coach whatever it is now was worried about COVID hence not wanting to coach any of the kids currently. That probably led to this in some way.

It's probably a big communication screw up that wasn't handled well by the board.  That is my guess.

Again thank you for the additional information.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow. Really sorry to see this.  
I have brought my athletes up from Tucson to shoot in Bullseye and the practical matches.
I know the amount of work that goes into youth shooting programs but I love doing it.
My two teams in Tucson, high school www.StraightShootersTucson.com and my college team www.WildGats.com have been to PRG for matches.  Both teams started out as action teams and have done well Nationally.
In December we participated in the USA Shooting International 10m air pistol match at Rio Salado.
https://mysasp.com/sasp-athletes-place-in-2021-usa-shooting-arizona-state-10m-pistol-championship/?fbclid=IwAR0bh-ToPptI4VWkI6bp2gHSO8EE4q05zvPtvBBS97E5P2OM_JSa4s65npU
It takes work, fundraising, a supportive club and loyal coaches. I believe this is essential to win against the anti-freedom Karens.
I was just there yesterday for the Desert Mid-winter Championships.
If anyone is bold enough to want to pick up the mantle and carry the torch please contact me.
We have a great National program.  www.MySASP.com
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If 4H ever gets the stones to start back up there is Central Arizona Target Shooters in AZ City, great youth program with a seriously motivated coach. But, they stopped practically everything due to the bug...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top