Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2021 3:59:01 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Asking for a very, very good friend of mine. He has 11 years in with a local PD in Western NY, and he got passed over for an LT promotion for the 3rd time so he is asking me what I know about FL PD's.

I realized I don't know anything. Understanding that NY probably has SIGNIFICANTLY higher pay for Police Departments, I'm not sure what is out there for a guy like him.

I've known this guy since I was 5 years old (literally), and he is probably the most perfect example of the cop you would want to pull over your kid. Never angry, always has a smile on his face and slow to whip out the ticket book! That's probably why he's getting passed up. Couple that with the fact that he's as conservative as the day is long and generally a great human being  - means I would love to help in any way I can.

So I'd humbly ask what ranges of pay are out there, and obviously if there are any other LE guys on here please send me a message if you don't want to post publicly, Id appreciate anything you guys have.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Where in FL? Palm Beach County starts deputies around 50k I think, which is pretty close to what bigger cities pay. Miami Dade is probly higher..
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where in FL? Palm Beach County starts deputies around 50k I think, which is pretty close to what bigger cities pay. Miami Dade is probly higher..
View Quote

I don't know that he has anything in mind, other than he isn't happy in NY and knows my family is.

What's the relative cost of living to wage in Palm Beach County? Are there good areas to live that aren't absurdly expensive?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Hillsborough County SO = $50k starting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Polk County SO about $53k.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Tampa PD, Tarpon Springs PD, Pinellas SO, Hillsborough SO, Palm Beach SO, Coconut Creek PD, St. Petersburg PD, Broward SO, Boynton Beach PD
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate all this feedback. I'm giving him the suggestions for him to look into!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
All the Sheriff's offices are on the same state retirement plan which can provide some mobility should he want to make a move down the line some cities and all state agencies are part of system. Its not as good as it used to be. Jacksonville JSO and Tallahassee were well paid for north Florida.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
In the Orlando area the top paying agencies are right around $50k starting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't know that he has anything in mind, other than he isn't happy in NY and knows my family is.

What's the relative cost of living to wage in Palm Beach County? Are there good areas to live that aren't absurdly expensive?
View Quote

Cost of living is fairly high in Palm Beach County. A house in a decent area is going to cost at least $350k and go up from there. I know a lot of guys live in Pt. ST. Lucie and commute. Coming from New York though he may have decent equity in a home?? Starting pay at PBSO is right around $58k I believe. Topped out deputies will make about $110k in salary alone, however it will take you some years to get there. There is tons of overtime on the road and permits to work as well if you want, which can significatly raise your pay. State retirement, to which all that OT and extra permits is accounted for when you take your top averages. I just recently saw something saying we are hiring. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You should get a hold of Miami JBT and ask him that question.  He just pulled his pin last year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cost of living is fairly high in Palm Beach County. A house in a decent area is going to cost at least $350k and go up from there. I know a lot of guys live in Pt. ST. Lucie and commute. Coming from New York though he may have decent equity in a home?? Starting pay at PBSO is right around $58k I believe. Topped out deputies will make about $110k in salary alone, however it will take you some years to get there. There is tons of overtime on the road and permits to work as well if you want, which can significatly raise your pay. State retirement, to which all that OT and extra permits is accounted for when you take your top averages. I just recently saw something saying we are hiring. PM me if you have any specific questions.
View Quote

Box is full! I'll try to send an email
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Box is full! I'll try to send an email
View Quote

Cleaned out now!
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Tallahassee PD pays good for the area, significantly higher than Sheriffs Office
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top