Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2022 10:34:52 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I am PCSing from Southern MS to Jacksonville and was hoping to get some insight into the firearms training/serious shooting scene in the area. From my "google intel gathering" I can see that most of the serious rangers are closer to Raleigh/Fayetteville areas (particularly The Range Complex outside Fayetteville). I'm looking forward to move up this way but don't really want to make a 2 hour dive whenever I want to shoot a class or get range time in.

Also, will I need to get a pistol permit in NC as Active Military? I have a CCW in MS, just trying to gage the red tape.

Thanks y'all,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the link to Onslow County permit

https://onslowso.permitium.com/ccw/start

30 days in county and you need to take a 8 hour safety class that has live fire.  

You will need your orders unless your going to become a resident of nc.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Alliance Outdoors next to Spartan Ranch near Maysville.  I haven't been there, but some other folks have.

Coastal Carolina Rifle Club holds matches roughly once a month at Stone Bay Rifle Range on Camp Lejeune.   Usually either a 600 or 1000 yard prone match.  We ran one Across the Course match weekend in March.  Tried to time it with the USMC Eastern Division matches.  Club has FB and MeWe pages with the schedule.  That's only available for that match weekend, though.

Ant Hill range toward Southport.

Buccaneer Gun Club in Leland near Wilmington.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
According to the USCCA website, your MS permit has reciprocity in NC. You wouldn’t have to get a NC permit but it does allow you to skip the handgun purchase permit if you want to buy any handguns here. I haven’t bothered and it was easy to get the pistol purchase permit but does require e some time and costs like $5. For the rare purchases I do it isn’t a big deal.

As far as ranges go, there are a few around but none are all that exciting. Flatwoods in Hubert has rifle, pistol, and archery. No drawing from holster on the pistol range and rifle is all bench shooting.

Sportsman’s Lodge in Jacksonville has an indoor pistol range. Again, no drawing from a holster.

Gunshop in Jacksonville. I’ve never been there.

Holly Shelter in Rocky Point. Rifle, pistol, and archery. No drawing from a holster and rifle is all bench out to 200m. So far my favorite in the area because the staff is cool and the ranges are nice and well kept.

Nothing exciting though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Go see Topher at Guerilla Armament. He will be your guide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top