Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2021 8:05:37 PM EDT
In PA why do you need a background check for an AR15 if bought from a shop or online and transfer to FFL, but it’s not needed when doing a transfer to another PA person since it’s a long gun?

In PA one could private sell an AR15, or any long gun, without any paperwork… but if buying from a store an AR rifle needs one?
I’m sure there is a “reason” but can someone explain to me?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In PA why do you need a background check for an AR15 if bought from a shop or online and transfer to FFL, but it’s not needed when doing a transfer to another PA person since it’s a long gun?

In PA one could private sell an AR15, or any long gun, without any paperwork… but if buying from a store an AR rifle needs one?
I’m sure there is a mega reason but can someone explain to me?
View Quote

ssshhhhhh
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the frog has not been fully boiled yet.

The current regulatory structure is not based on a single rational design, it is a patchwork of laws with the overall goal of restricting as much as possible within the limitations of how far they were able to push things at the time the law was passed.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

FFLs are regulated under federal law, which specifies a licensee must do paperwork.  Federal law prohibits interstate transfers between non-licensees, but leaves regulation of intra-state transfers between non-licensees to the states.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because the frog has not been fully boiled yet.

The current regulatory structure is not based on a single rational design, it is a patchwork of laws with the overall goal of restricting as much as possible within the limitations of how far they were able to push things at the time the law was passed.

View Quote

Gotcha, makes “sense”… meaning, gun laws are… odd.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gotcha, makes “sense”… meaning, gun laws are… oddunconstitutional.
View Quote

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Private sales of long guns (rifles with a barrel length of 16" or more, and shotguns with barrel length of 18" or more) is perfectly legal. Pistols must be transferred via an FFL. PA sate law.

Any firearms bought online must be sent to an FFL to transfer to you. Fed law.

The 800 pound gorilla that's Philadelphia has not yet destroyed the Commonwealth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top