Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 6:42:55 PM EDT
Anyone have insight on these?

JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 2021 – 1
Proposing separate and distinct amendments to the Constitution of Pennsylvania, in declaration of rights, providing for prohibition against denial or abridgment of equality of rights because of race and ethnicity; in legislation, further providing for action on concurrent orders and resolutions; and, in the executive, providing for disaster emergency declaration and management.

The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania hereby resolves as follows:

Section 1.  The following separate and distinct amendments to the Constitution of Pennsylvania are proposed in accordance with Article XI:

(1)  That Article I of the Constitution of Pennsylvania be amended by adding a section to read:

§ 29.  Prohibition against denial or abridgment of equality of rights because of race and ethnicity.

Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania because of the race or  ethnicity of the individual.

(1.1) That section 9 of Article III be amended to read:

§ 9.  Action on concurrent orders and resolutions.

Every order, resolution or vote, to which the concurrence of both Houses may be necessary, except on the [question of adjournment]questions of adjournment or termination or extension of a disaster  emergency declaration as declared by an executive order or proclamation, or portion of a disaster emergency declaration as declared by an executive order or proclamation, shall be presented to the Governor and before it shall take effect be approved by him, or being disapproved, shall be repassed by two-thirds of both Houses according to the rules and limitations prescribed in case of a bill.

(2)  That Article IV be amended by adding a section to read:

§ 20.  Disaster emergency declaration and management.

(a)  A disaster emergency declaration may be declared by executive order or proclamation of the Governor upon finding that a disaster has occurred or that the occurrence or threat of a disaster  is imminent that threatens the health, safety or welfare of this  Commonwealth.

(b)  Each disaster emergency declaration issued by the Governor under subsection (a) shall indicate the nature, each area threatened and the conditions of the disaster, including whether the disaster is a natural disaster, military emergency, public health emergency, technological disaster or other general emergency, as defined by statute. The General Assembly shall, by statute, provide for the manner in which each type of disaster enumerated under this  subsection shall be managed.

(c)  A disaster emergency declaration under subsection (a) shall be in effect for no more than twenty-one (21) days, unless otherwise extended in whole or part by concurrent resolution of the General  Assembly.

(d)  Upon the expiration of a disaster emergency declaration under subsection (a), the Governor may not issue a new disaster emergency declaration based upon the same or substantially similar facts and circumstances without the passage of a concurrent resolution of the General Assembly expressly approving the new  disaster emergency declaration.

Section 2.  (a)  Upon the first passage by the General Assembly of these proposed constitutional amendments, the Secretary of the Commonwealth shall proceed immediately to comply with the advertising requirements of section 1 of Article XI of the Constitution of Pennsylvania and shall transmit the required advertisements to two newspapers in every county in which such newspapers are published in sufficient time after passage of these proposed constitutional amendments.

(b)  Upon the second passage by the General Assembly of these proposed constitutional amendments, the secretary of the commonwealth shall proceed immediately to comply with the advertising requirements of section 1 of Article XI of the Constitution of Pennsylvania and shall transmit the required advertisements to two newspapers in every county in which such newspapers are published in sufficient time after passage of these proposed constitutional amendments. The Secretary of the Commonwealth shall:

(1)  Submit the proposed constitutional amendment under section 1(1) of this resolution to the qualified electors of this Commonwealth as a separate ballot question at the first primary, general or municipal election which meets the requirements of and is in conformance with section 1 of Article XI of the Constitution of Pennsylvania and which occurs at least three months after the proposed constitutional amendment is passed by the General Assembly.

(1.1) Submit the proposed constitutional amendment under  section 1(1.1) of this resolution to the qualified electors of this Commonwealth as a separate ballot question at the first primary, general or municipal election which meets the requirements of and is in conformance with section 1 of  Article XI of the Constitution of Pennsylvania and which occurs at least three months after the proposed constitutional amendment is passed by the General Assembly.

(2)  Submit the proposed constitutional amendment under section 1(2) of this resolution to the qualified electors of this Commonwealth as a separate ballot question at the first primary, general or municipal election which meets the requirements of and is in conformance with section 1 of Article XI of the Constitution of Pennsylvania and which occurs at least three months after the proposed constitutional amendment is passed by the General Assembly.

PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT – ARTICLE III, SECTION 9
RELATING TO TERMINATION OR EXTENSION OF DISASTER EMERGENCY DECLARATIONS
Ballot Question
Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended to change existing law and increase the power of the General Assembly to unilaterally terminate or extend a disaster emergency declaration—and the powers of Commonwealth agencies to address the disaster regardless of its severity pursuant to that declaration—through passing a concurrent resolution by simple majority, thereby removing the existing check and balance of presenting a resolution to the Governor for approval or disapproval?

Plain English Statement of the Office of Attorney General
Joint Resolution No. 2021-1 proposes to amend Article III, Section 9 of the Pennsylvania Constitution to provide a new exception to traditional legislative procedure by allowing the General Assembly to terminate or extend a disaster emergency declaration or a portion of such declaration without needing the Governor’s approval.

Currently, Article III, Section 9 establishes a general rule that all orders, resolutions or votes requiring approval by both the House of Representatives and Senate must be presented to the Governor for his approval or veto. Resolutions for the adjournment of the General Assembly are exempted from this process. If the order, resolution or vote is approved by the Governor, it becomes law. If the Governor vetoes the resolution, it does not become law unless two-thirds of the House and Senate vote to override the veto. The proposed amendment would create an additional exception to this customary legislative procedure for concurrent resolutions to terminate or extend, in whole or in part, a disaster emergency declaration issued by the Governor.

The proposed amendment will also have the effect of reversing a recent ruling of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court which held the Pennsylvania Constitution prohibited the General Assembly from passing a concurrent resolution to terminate the Governor’s Covid-19 disaster emergency declaration without presenting it to the Governor for his approval. It will change the law to allow the General Assembly to terminate or extend a disaster emergency declaration through a concurrent resolution approved by only a majority of the members of the House and Senate, without having to present the resolution to the Governor for his approval or veto.

The proposed amendment is limited in that it only changes the traditional legislative process for terminating or extending disaster emergency declarations issued by the Governor. The amendment will not alter the current legislative procedure with respect to which orders, resolutions or votes of the General Assembly must be presented to the Governor for his approval on any other subject matter.

PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT – ARTICLE IV
DISASTER EMERGENCY DECLARATION AND MANAGEMENT
Ballot Question
Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended to change existing law so that: a disaster emergency declaration will expire automatically after 21 days, regardless of the severity of the emergency, unless the General Assembly takes action to extend the disaster emergency; the Governor may not declare a new disaster emergency to respond to the dangers facing the Commonwealth unless the General Assembly passes a concurrent resolution; the General Assembly enacts new laws for disaster management?

Joint Resolution No. 2021-1 proposes adding a new section to Article IV of the Pennsylvania Constitution. This amendment incorporates disaster emergency declaration and management powers directly into the Constitution by:

Granting the Governor authority to declare a disaster emergency declaration by proclamation or executive order;
Requiring each declaration to indicate the nature, location and type of disaster;
Granting the General Assembly authority to pass laws providing for the manner in which each disaster shall be managed;
Limiting the duration of a Governor’s declaration to 21 days, unless otherwise extended, in whole or in part, by a concurrent resolution of the General Assembly;
Preventing the Governor, upon the expiration of a declaration, from issuing a new declaration based upon the same or substantially similar facts, unless the General Assembly passes a concurrent resolution expressly approving a new declaration.
Currently, disaster emergency declaration and management powers are delegated by statute to the Governor. The Governor has the sole authority to issue and manage all disaster emergency declarations, which cannot extend beyond 90 days unless renewed by the Governor. The General Assembly may override a Governor’s disaster emergency declaration by concurrent resolution that must be presented to the Governor for his approval or veto.

If approved, the amendment would transfer certain of the Governor’s existing authority to respond to and manage disaster emergencies to the General Assembly. The Governor would retain the authority to issue an initial disaster emergency declaration but the declaration’s permissible length would be reduced from 90 to 21 days. The sole authority to extend a declaration would lie with the General Assembly; presently, this power rests with the Governor.

Upon expiration of the initial declaration, the amendment prohibits the Governor from issuing a new declaration based upon the same or substantially similar facts without the approval of the General Assembly. The Governor would no longer have unilateral authority to manage disasters, but would have to do so consistent with the laws passed by the General Assembly.

If approved, the General Assembly would be required to pass new laws establishing the manner in which each type of disaster shall be managed. If added to the Pennsylvania Constitution, the proposed amendment cannot be modified or repealed except by a judicial decision finding all or part of the proposed amendment unconstitutional or by the approval of a subsequent constitutional amendment.

PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT – ARTICLE I
PROHIBITION AGAINST DENIAL OR ABRIDGEMENT OF EQUALITY OF RIGHTS BECAUSE OF RACE OR ETHNICITY
Ballot Question
Shall the Pennsylvania Constitution be amended by adding a new section providing that equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged because of an individual’s race or ethnicity?

Joint Resolution No. 2021-1, if approved by the electorate, will add a new section to Article I of the Pennsylvania Constitution. This amendment creates a constitutional prohibition against restricting or denying an individual’s equal rights under Pennsylvania law because of race or ethnicity.

Generally, inclusion of this amendment within the Pennsylvania Constitution signifies that freedom from discrimination based on race or ethnicity is an essential principle of liberty and free government. This amendment applies to all Pennsylvania state, county and local governmental entities, and guarantees equality of rights under the law. The amendment, if enacted, will become a part of the Pennsylvania Constitution. As such, its provisions must be applied consistent with the other provisions of the Constitution.

This equal right to be free from racial or ethnic discrimination will exist independent from any such rights under the United States Constitution or corresponding federal law. If the current federal protections proscribing racial or ethnic discrimination are abolished,  the prohibition against such discrimination will remain in the  Pennsylvania Constitution. The amendment is limited in that it creates a right only under Pennsylvania law.

Once added to the Pennsylvania Constitution, the right to be free from racial or ethnic discrimination under the law cannot be eliminated except by a judicial decision finding the amendment unconstitutional or the approval of a subsequent constitutional amendment. If approved, the General Assembly may pass new laws to implement the amendment, but it may not pass a law inconsistent with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I am voting yes to the 2nd and 3rd ones related to disaster emergency declarations.  GOA is also supporting these.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of info here:

These ballot questions are written by the GOVERNOR's Office, pay close attention to the wording.  They are trying to make you vote NO on limiting the Executive Power.

https://www.dos.pa.gov/VotingElections/Pages/Joint-Resolution-2021-1.aspx
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like they threw racial equality and disaster management together.

Or are they separate? I understand there are four questions on the ballot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, yes, no, no.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, yes, no, no.
View Quote
That's what my father suggested as well.
I need to read when I get home tonight
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully no dominion machines tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, yes, no, no.
View Quote

Am I missing something on the racial one?

Didn't CA recently try to repeal a similar amendment so that they could institute affirmative action?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Am I missing something on the racial one?

Didn't CA recently try to repeal a similar amendment so that they could institute affirmative action?
View Quote
If I remember correctly its tied with something else. It's a disguise
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully no dominion machines tomorrow.
View Quote

Already reports coming out of Philly that votes for Vega (Conservative running as a D against Krasner) are being switched by the machines to votes for Larry "Mr Softie" Krasner.
A few videos already on facebook...

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Already reports coming out of Philly that votes for Vega (Conservative running as a D against Krasner) are being switched by the machines to votes for Larry "Mr Softie" Krasner.
A few videos already on facebook...

View Quote

Yeah I just voted. Dominion machine here in Carbon County.

ETA: ....and they're using mail-in ballots.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Voted today, maskless.

Yes, yes, no, no.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Well we managed to curb Comrade Wolf's powers on shut downs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Voted today yesterday, maskless.

Yes, yes, no, no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't believe this actually passed (one and two on the ballot).  I thought for sure the left would manage to swindle us out of these two protections.  I was also surprised by some of the totals from different counties....specifically Allegheny County where questions one and two had very strong support.

I believe the third ballot question (regarding equal protection) was designed to draw the Democrats lemmings to the polls in order to outvote ballot questions one and two.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't believe this actually passed (one and two on the ballot).  I thought for sure the left would manage to swindle us out of these two protections.  I was also surprised by some of the totals from different counties....specifically Allegheny County where questions one and two had very strong support.

I believe the third ballot question (regarding equal protection) was designed to draw the Democrats lemmings to the polls in order to outvote ballot questions one and two.
View Quote

Eta: I read that wrong

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Allegheny county showed up strong.

Proud of us.
https://i.imgur.com/z3KoNbm.png
View Quote

Hahaha.  Sorry.  I didn't realize they changed the order of the amendments when they listed the results.  I saw over 70% yes votes on the first two items, and thought the items were listed in order.  It's a shame.  Either I didn't know that Allegheny County was so far left, or the county has dramatically changed since the early 2000s
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Lancaster county was 63-69% "Yes" on all 4 questions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#18]
there's one thing about the results that I didn't understand. I noticed it on the day after so it might have changed as the tallies finalized and maybe I'm just looking for conspiracies, but there seemed to be over 1400 more total votes for question 1 than for question 2. I mean, they are basically about the same thing, limiting the governors powers and over reach so I figured they would have been much closer. Did the final numbers bear this out or did one question actually get more votes than the other... or is there a conspiracy?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
there's one thing about the results that I didn't understand. I noticed it on the day after so it might have changed as the tallies finalized and maybe I'm just looking for conspiracies, but there seemed to be over 1400 more total votes for question 1 than for question 2. I mean, they are basically about the same thing, limiting the governors powers and over reach so I figured they would have been much closer. Did the final numbers bear this out or did one question actually get more votes than the other... or is there a conspiracy?
View Quote

I think the real conspiracy is that last Thursday the state election website showed about 81,000 votes remaining to be counted, and as of this morning, the counts for questions 1 & 2 have gone up over a little over 120K total since then, and there's supposedly another ~45K votes remaining to be counted...  ????

There's still a 79K gap to close on #1 and 76K on question 2, so that should be insurmountable.... but.....  it seems like ballots are either still being "accepted" and counted... or the NO votes are being counted more than once...

Add in that they've stopped doing a live counting webpage and are only releasing daily end of day PDF summaries, and it's easy to see that the lack of transparency and consistency is going to make a lot of us believe something other than legitimate counting is occurring.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think the real conspiracy is that last Thursday the state election website showed about 81,000 votes remaining to be counted, and as of this morning, the counts for questions 1 & 2 have gone up over a little over 120K total since then, and there's supposedly another ~45K votes remaining to be counted...  ????

There's still a 79K gap to close on #1 and 76K on question 2, so that should be insurmountable.... but.....  it seems like ballots are either still being "accepted" and counted... or the NO votes are being counted more than once...

Add in that they've stopped doing a live counting webpage and are only releasing daily end of day PDF summaries, and it's easy to see that the lack of transparency and consistency is going to make a lot of us believe something other than legitimate counting is occurring.
View Quote

I fucking hate these people
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I fucking hate these people
View Quote

Yeah.
Such a complete, and apparently intentional lack of transparency.
One can only conclude that it goes beyond incompetence and into blatant coverup.

Appears that they're not updating the counting pages/pdfs anymore either.  Nothing was posted for yesterday, despite continued changes to the results pages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top