Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2022 9:42:30 PM EDT
I've been wanting to put a camera in my driveway for a while buy I'm facing west and get full afternoon sun and thinking the camera will fail. My ring doorbell isn't as reliable during the summer months and it also gets the afternoon sun but not as much as a camera mounting above my garage would. Anyone in the same situation with long term success?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Blinks, and the outdoor cameras have been fine. I do have North/South exposure on my house and don't get a ton of direct sunlight. (I also have a 2-story house east and west of me blocking the sun, which can't hurt. I'm also technically 2-story, but mine is a basement, so they're taller houses and shade me pretty good. My house looks significantly smaller than theirs but is actually quite a bit bigger. )

My single indoor camera, which is in the Garage, has been fritzing out lately, probably overheating. My other cameras have complete coverage of everything EXCEPT my Garage, so I installed an indoor camera in the Garage to cover that gap. It has been going on and offline a few times a day for the last week or so. But again, that is an indoor-spec camera.

ETA: Not sure your arrangement, but as a 'good neighbor', I don't really personally want to point a camera directly at a Neighbors house. That's partially why I did the inside-Garage camera; I couldn't figure a good way to cover the front of the Garage and not basically be pointing right at a neighbor. I want to have good coverage but not be creepy. I get basically no neighbor coverage the way I'm pointed now, but cover my whole property line. (looking at my cameras, one side camera gets a driveway across the street, but that's it)

Keeping them not pointed at the street also helps a lot with not setting off motion sensors when people drive past.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
We've had our Blink cameras for 2.5 years. No problems at all with the heat. My in-laws' Ring doorbell camera sometimes acts up as yours does.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I use mostly Zosi cams from Amazon.  They are hard wired CMOS night vision cameras with video output.  They have held up well. Good to keep a spare on hand if you are running a bunch of them.

They hook into an 8 channel Annke DVR with 1T hard drive.

My garage also faces west. One cam is on the front door, three on the garage, one in the garage, three in the back yard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The outdoor Ring cameras, especially when coupled with the solar panel, have worked very well for me, regardless of weather, for the past 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Amcrest POEs with Blue Iris, rock solid, under eve with western exposure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both Arlo and Blinks, for several years... Both holding up well. Blinks are better in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had Reolink here in Phoenix for a few years with no problems. Some of mine are in direct sunlight most of the day and are still running.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top