Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2023 3:34:03 PM EDT
Years ago I was a member of RCLRC and loved it. I've moved back to the area but have heard they're on the last leg and may be shutting down for good.

What other good outdoor ranges are there in the area (Kenosha, Racine, Walworth county)? Or, are there any left?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wisconsin Sportsman's Association off Hwy. 11, east of Union Grove.

I haven't been a member since 2012, and I think dues were $60/year for a family membership.

You also had to volunteer for certain activities,  but all in all it was a fun experience.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chukar:
Wisconsin Sportsman's Association off Hwy. 11, east of Union Grove.

I haven't been a member since 2012, and I think dues were $60/year for a family membership.

You also had to volunteer for certain activities,  but all in all it was a fun experience.
View Quote

I appreciate it, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
It's up in the air with RCLRC right now. It's governmental crap that needs to play out. But it is being worked on to stay long term. I'll wait for our meeting to hear more and know what we can pass along for anyone interested. Don't count it out yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProjectCamaro] [#4]
Originally Posted By mindless1:
It's up in the air with RCLRC right now. It's governmental crap that needs to play out. But it is being worked on to stay long term. I'll wait for our meeting to hear more and know what we can pass along for anyone interested. Don't count it out yet.
View Quote

My membership ended ten years ago so I don't know any of the inside information. If you're allowed to update us on the status when you find out, that'd be great as it'd be my preference to return there. Loved the facility and the members!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
When’s the last time you visited RCLRC? It’s vastly different than it was 10 years ago. Depending on how things go I would tell you to be patient because you would probably be in awe of it today if you’re picturing it from that long ago.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure one or more of us from RCLRC will post the available info after the meeting. We know what a great range it is and what it's loss would mean and would love more members.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Da' Boone might be a bit far for you.

https://www.dbcl.org/facility

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NesralG:
When’s the last time you visited RCLRC? It’s vastly different than it was 10 years ago. Depending on how things go I would tell you to be patient because you would probably be in awe of it today if you’re picturing it from that long ago.
View Quote

It has been ten years since I've been there. I loved it then, I'm excited about the prospect of getting go enjoy it again and now that I have a son, allowing him to experience as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#9]
Originally Posted By ProjectCamaro:

It has been ten years since I've been there. I loved it then, I'm excited about the prospect of getting go enjoy it again and now that I have a son, allowing him to experience as well.
View Quote

You'd only recognize two of the nine ranges there.

I wouldn't count rclrc out, even with the troubles, as I think they'll be there for a long time once things get ironed out.

And since you said good ranges, don't bother with cckc (aka bristol).  Unless you're into safety nazis.  WSC has been mentioned, DB as well.   There's another one in walworth cty, they have an indoor, and an outdoor some miles away.  Name escapes me at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone a member of the Columbus Sportsmen's Association?  Looking to join a club with more than a 100 yd range, and aside from Winnequah, this is the only other one that's within a 90 min drive for me.  

Just looking for general feedback, and if they're C3 friendly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Krazny13,

I've been a member for quite a few years.

You can find answers to most questions using the CSA Range Rules and CSA Bylaws links on their membership page at

https://www.columbussportsmanswi.com/membership

I don't know what C3 means so I can't answer that.

I shoot on the 200 yd range and pistol ranges which depend on the shooters to control the range within the rules.

The Long Range and Action Rifle Range are more controlled with Range Officers and qualification training being required for their use.

The Clubhouse is open only for meetings and special events. Construction-type outhouses are located near the ranges.

Can't think of anything else offhand.

HTH,
Rich

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:18:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krazny13] [#12]
Originally Posted By RicARd:
Krazny13,

I've been a member for quite a few years.

You can find answers to most questions using the CSA Range Rules and CSA Bylaws links on their membership page at

https://www.columbussportsmanswi.com/membership

I don't know what C3 means so I can't answer that.

I shoot on the 200 yd range and pistol ranges which depend on the shooters to control the range within the rules.

The Long Range and Action Rifle Range are more controlled with Range Officers and qualification training being required for their use.

The Clubhouse is open only for meetings and special events. Construction-type outhouses are located near the ranges.

Can't think of anything else offhand.

HTH,
Rich

View Quote

C3 = Class 3 items.  Notably Suppressors, Short Barrel rifles, and short barreled shotguns.

Just trying to get a feel for the membership of the club.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#13]
As far as C3 (should have recognized the term duh!) full auto is not allowed. As far as I know most of the other things you mentioned are probably OK but it would be a good idea to check further. Top priority is placed on range safety. Another high priority is not wrecking or trashing the range.

I've met people of all ages and many interests at the range.  Pretty much everyone I've met has been polite and good to deal with.

I suggest you follow the application process and take the range tour. When I did, I was shown around by one of the officers who answered all of my questions. Won't cost you anything but a little time.

HTH,
Rich
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as C3 (should have recognized the term duh!) full auto is not allowed.
View Quote

...so the answer is no, they are not "C3" friendly.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as C3 (should have recognized the term duh!) full auto is not allowed. As far as I know most of the other things you mentioned are probably OK but it would be a good idea to check further. Top priority is placed on range safety. Another high priority is not wrecking or trashing the range.

I've met people of all ages and many interests at the range.  Pretty much everyone I've met has been polite and good to deal with.

I suggest you follow the application process and take the range tour. When I did, I was shown around by one of the officers who answered all of my questions. Won't cost you anything but a little time.

HTH,
Rich
View Quote

I had emailed them a few weeks ago about the action rifle league, but never got a response. Do you have to be a member to compete?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:11:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RicARd] [#16]
billygoat69

As it's a league and not a competition event I think you would need to be a member.
If you haven't already, try emailing the club secretary. She seems to respond quickly to most inquiries.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to bring an older thread back up but I was curious if there was any updated information on RCLRC's current standing. I'd really like to rejoin but don't want to pay just to have it shut down six months later.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Sent you a PM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top