Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2020 1:15:53 PM EDT
What happens if the atf bans braces?  What happens to the weapons status?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
They are classified as pistols.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you are wrong. Because ar and ak pistols can not have vertical fore grips?  It changes the status to an a o w?  

But, the firearms being sold here have the overall length of 26 inches?  Which precludes them from a o w status?  

Does on just take the brace off?  If it comes to that?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The brace has no bearing on its status as an "other firearm" because ATF already ruled that they do not count towards OAL. So removing the brace wouldn't change its classification.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The brace doesn't count, but the receiver extension does, if an AR, no?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The brace doesn't count, but the receiver extension does, if an AR, no?
View Quote

That's correct, they even explicitly say so in this letter regarding braces and OAL measurement: https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/atf-folded-brace_redacted.pdf
(first paragraph on page 2)
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The brace has no bearing on its status as an "other firearm" because ATF already ruled that they do not count towards OAL. So removing the brace wouldn't change its classification.
View Quote

So, the brace stays under the proposed new rules?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new proposed regulations are alarmingly vague and go beyond even just braces. If you read the proposed regulations they're now going to be taking in to account other factors too including size, weight, caliber and optics. ATF is seemingly moving to a very scary subjective standard of "we'll know a SBR when we see one". This is bad news for everyone, especially NJ where registering them as a SBR is obviously not even an option. It's too early to say for sure right now but most likely "other firearms" probably won't be impacted as badly as AR pistols because they're already not "designed to be fired with one hand". Worst case scenario is that you'll just have to remove the brace to keep them legal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The new proposed regulations are alarmingly vague and go beyond even just braces. If you read the proposed regulations they're now going to be taking in to account other factors too including size, weight, caliber and optics. ATF is seemingly moving to a very scary subjective standard of "we'll know a SBR when we see one". This is bad news for everyone, especially NJ where registering them as a SBR is obviously not even an option. It's too early to say for sure right now but most likely "other firearms" probably won't be impacted as badly as AR pistols because they're already not "designed to be fired with one hand". Worst case scenario is that you'll just have to remove the brace to keep them legal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I called modmat today they said the weapon I purchased was approved by atf.  I do have a copy of the letter.  But what I'm trying to figure out is the brace itself the part that needs to be registered?  

Or the weapon that has the brace or any combo of weapon with a brace?  It is as clearly as mud mostly likely by design.  
Any clarity to the about questions would be great.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I called modmat today they said the weapon I purchased was approved by atf.  I do have a copy of the letter.  But what I'm trying to figure out is the brace itself the part that needs to be registered?  

Or the weapon that has the brace or any combo of weapon with a brace?  It is as clearly as mud mostly likely by design.  
Any clarity to the about questions would be great.
View Quote

If you bought a factory firearm with a brace that has a letter specifically approving it you *should* be ok. The new regulations essentially boil down to "if ATF hasn't approved the exact configuration of your brace equipped firearm it may or may not be legal"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top