Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2020 4:55:02 PM EDT
The local FFL says the background check is 3600 checks behind and it will take about 7 days to get approved.

FFL says they think Oregon is doing this to slow down gun sales.

Is this true, not the delay that is true, but that Oregon gov is trying slow down gun sales?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Got hit by this recently too. Absolutely ridiculous wait time.

Supposedly their physical office is shut down so all the BG check people are working remotely and therefore, much less efficiently.

My FFL had heard that entering your Oregon CHL number could speed it up, but that didn’t work for me.

I’m sure various state officials wish they could slow down gun sales by delaying the BG check process but my experience is that most Oregon state agencies are too disorganized and incompetent to actually orchestrate something like that. And besides, delaying BG checks just makes a scarce item harder to obtain, further driving up demand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard over in a thread on NWF that OSP has reduced the personnel working on the checks down to 1 OSP officer, I think its a "happy accident". A waiting period without the legislation. Anyway, I was #2637 on a Sunday, and didn't get the approval until the next Friday. A lot of firearms are changing hands, whether new sales, or private sale/trades, a lot of guns moving around. You can look at that one of two ways.....
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got hit by this recently too. Absolutely ridiculous wait time.

Supposedly their physical office is shut down so all the BG check people are working remotely and therefore, much less efficiently.

My FFL had heard that entering your Oregon CHL number could speed it up, but that didn’t work for me.

I’m sure various state officials wish they could slow down gun sales by delaying the BG check process but my experience is that most Oregon state agencies are too disorganized and incompetent to actually orchestrate something like that. And besides, delaying BG checks just makes a scarce item harder to obtain, further driving up demand.
View Quote

Your CHL doesn't do anything now, it used to but that changed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your CHL doesn't do anything now, it used to but that changed.
View Quote

Not officially... but it usually bumps you to the top of the list. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a new Glock 45 at Bi-Mart. Instant. I'm literally approved as soon as they hit enter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Ffl told me on Friday the 26th that 3900 people were in the process of buying guns. Mine came back instant, I don’t even have a valid ccl since mine expired.  Guess some people get lucky
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I've put through a few transfers over the past month or two personally (I'm an FFL)

Some come in instantly (rare), some go to the back of the line.  Totally unpredictable.

Entering a CHL number?  There is NOWHERE on the FICS check pages to enter the CHL number so that is total BS.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You enter the CHL instead of the Drivers license. You don't do both though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You're right

It just came to me the type of ID is a drop down menu that defaults to ODL.

Maybe I'll try entering CHL numbers tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You enter the CHL instead of the Drivers license. You don't do both though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems the wait time is completely random, I'm on day 6 of waiting for the background check to clear on a Ruger hunting rifle.  I'm currently 704 out of 4,100 in the queue today, that's with providing a CHP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top