BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What the ARFCOM recommendation for a retention holster? Safariland?
View Quote

Tighten that lil screw on the kydex a full turn. lol
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Since we have to wait for 90 days after signing for it to go into effect, are there any rumblings of court challenges?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have a link to the version the gov is signing?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone have a link to the version the gov is signing?
View Quote

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess124_2021-2022/prever/3094_20210507.htm
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since we have to wait for 90 days after signing for it to go into effect, are there any rumblings of court challenges?
View Quote

Maybe one of the legal eagles can better answer, but I’m unsure what there is to challenge since this expands freedom instead of restricting it. What is there for the courts to determine if the change doesn’t restrict rights any more than was already happening?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ratified today. On the governors desk now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Maybe one of the legal eagles can better answer, but I’m unsure what there is to challenge since this expands freedom instead of restricting it. What is there for the courts to determine if the change doesn’t restrict rights any more than was already happening?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that idiot in Columbia and his idiot protege will try to find something to challenge it on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe one of the legal eagles can better answer, but I'm unsure what there is to challenge since this expands freedom instead of restricting it. What is there for the courts to determine if the change doesn't restrict rights any more than was already happening?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe one of the legal eagles can better answer, but I'm unsure what there is to challenge since this expands freedom instead of restricting it. What is there for the courts to determine if the change doesn't restrict rights any more than was already happening?
The sanctuary state thing is probably what would be challenged, though I would think it would have to be applied against a federal law/regulation to actually have standing to be challenged.

We'll probably get a federal supremacy argument, and we'll argue back that we're following the constitution which holds supremacy over statute.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
And why was the 90 day waiting period put in place anyway??
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty standard on most bills/laws to give everyone time to adjust.

For example, business owners time to post signs, SLED time get their act together, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And why was the 90 day waiting period put in place anyway??
View Quote
It was sold as an adjustment period for law enforcement to train their officers on how to handle open carrying.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Has SLED weighed in on grandfathering CWPs re: OC, or are they going to come up with some idiotic 1 hour refresher class / OC Endorsement clause?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has SLED weighed in on grandfathering CWPs re: OC, or are they going to come up with some idiotic 1 hour refresher class / OC Endorsement clause?
View Quote

How would they enforce it? There’s no indicator on the permit showing that you’ve had any specific training.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't see how they could do this without something by law telling them to.

Just because classes weren't required to teach those things, doesn't mean they were not taught. The law states/stated the class requirements were not limited to those required elements. How would they separate people that were taught those things in previous classes from those that weren't?

If they did something like that I think a lawsuit would be successful.

Also, if everyone had to retake the class and reapply it would quadruple their workload for permit processing, and they just had funding slashed by the permit fee removal. They already struggle with timely returns on renewals. It would be pretty stupid to rock the boat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It was sold as an adjustment period for law enforcement to train their officers on how to handle open carrying.
View Quote

Because local police departments, who shouldn't even exist constitutionally, and who's officers swore an oath including to defend that constitution, require retraining on how to respect that constitution....uh huh, sure
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't see how they could do this without something by law telling them to.

Just because classes weren't required to teach those things, doesn't mean they were not taught. The law states/stated the class requirements were not limited to those required elements. How would they separate people that were taught those things in previous classes from those that weren't?

If they did something like that I think a lawsuit would be successful.

Also, if everyone had to retake the class and reapply it would quadruple their workload for permit processing, and they just had funding slashed by the permit fee removal. They already struggle with timely returns on renewals. It would be pretty stupid to rock the boat.
View Quote

When they said they were going to drop the $50 fee I had a thought that SLED may start dragging their feet even more since they their management were opposed to this.  At least one of the SLED officers I know has no problem with open carry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How would they enforce it? There’s no indicator on the permit showing that you’ve had any specific training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to buy a CWP badge!  
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Time to buy a CWP badge!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to buy a CWP badge!  

Only if it comes with a complementary safety sash.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd just like to add that Senator Leatherman didn't vote on this, he left early.
Also, Senator Senn ended up voting against it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd just like to add that Senator Leatherman didn't vote on this, he left early.
Also, Senator Senn ended up voting against it.

View Quote

As I've stated, the Grim Reaper will primary Leatherman. Senn is a RINO who runs from any controversial vote. She works to appeal to traditional SC republicans without offending Blue Yankees pouring into Charleston. Regretfully, she's likely as good as we could hope for given the District. With this vote, she tell both sides she supported their version.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
https://wyff4.com/article/gov-mcmaster-to-sign-new-open-carry-bill-soon-says-spokesman/36434448

GREENVILLE, S.C. — A new bill allowing South Carolinians to visibly carry their firearm in public is set to be signed by the governor.

The House approved the Open Carry bill 83-34 on Wednesday and then signed off on the changes made by the Senate.

It now heads to Gov. McMaster's desk where he will sign it "soon," says a spokesman.

When signed, the bill will allow so-called 'open carry' for people who have their concealed weapons permit with the proper training and background check.

Gun owners will now be able to carry their firearms outside of the clothing in plain view and will no longer be breaking the law if their firearm is suddenly exposed.

The bill is getting mixed reactions.

WYFF News 4 spoke to gun owners who say open carry is long overdue. While others say the bill doesn't go far enough and is still too restrictive.

"I'm hunting around for a holster now," said new gun owner Bill Cowan. "I'm not saying I'm going to carry it every day. But I'm 70 years old and there's just way too much violence out there."

"This is a step in the right direction but it's my hope we'll eventually get to a full 'constitutional carry' with no restrictions," said J.R. Frazier, a manager at Sharpshooters Indoor Range in Greenville.

Meanwhile, some law enforcement officials are concerned about visible guns on the hips of South Carolinians in public.

J.J. Jones, the executive director of the South Carolina Police Chiefs Association, says it's important that South Carolinians educate themselves on the open carry law and "read it word for word."

"It's important for people to know they can't openly carry a gun in public until 90 days after the governor signs the bill," said Jones.

Jones also says gun owners should know that businesses can post signs saying open carry is not allowed in the building
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Good news for open carry. Bad news is there will be a great migration of businesses to "No Open Carry" and "No Carry" signs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good news for open carry. Bad news is there will be a great migration of businesses to "No Open Carry" and "No Carry" signs.
View Quote

I expect to see this as well.  I also expect that it'll be like the initial flurry of No CCW signs that cropped up but then started disappearing when there weren't shootouts in the aisles.  Places like Target and the like will probably keep them up, too many Karens and other panty-waisted sorts frequent that sort of establishment.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn I never thought of that, but you're probably right.

Oh well I'll risk the trespassing charge.

I really wish they would do away with the requirement to notify a homeowner that you are carrying before you enter their property so they have the chance to object. That is just stupid.

"Hello ma'am, I'm here to fix your refrigerator. BTW, I'm carrying my Sig P365 under my shirt. Do you mind?"
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#26]
"
Quoted:
Judge: "and sir, for your second offense for illegal trespass with a firearm is cancellation of your CWP, and confiscation of your firearm"

Damn I never thought of that, but you're probably right.

Oh well I'll risk the trespassing charge.

I really wish they would do away with the requirement to notify a homeowner that you are carrying before you enter their property so they have the chance to object. That is just stupid.

"Hello ma'am, I'm here to fix your refrigerator. BTW, I'm carrying my Sig P365 under my shirt. Do you mind?"
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"
View Quote

Touche
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read Spanish only ??
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Signed by McMaster today!!!
Aug 16 we can open carry and we’re a 2nd Amendment sanctuary state as of today.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#32]
oops. wrong thread
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Great step forward for SC!
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not excited about how this will impact things at my job. Do you have any idea how expensive a proper BBQ Gun is?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not excited about how this will impact things at my job. Do you have any idea how expensive a proper BBQ Gun is?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been ready for years

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Two major downsides now that this bill has been signed into law:

GONE: portion of law that says firearms cannot be confiscated (Katrina) during a declared state/federal emergency.

CALLED INTO QUESTION: whether or not standardized "no concealed weapons allowed" signage is still valid (meaning the bad old days of any old sign of any size now has legal standing).

And of course there's the useless "2A Sanctuary" verbiage which the Feds and their minion agents will dismiss with the wave of a hand when it becomes convenient for them to do so.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

GONE: portion of law that says firearms cannot be confiscated (Katrina) during a declared state/federal emergency.

CALLED INTO QUESTION: whether or not standardized "no concealed weapons allowed" signage is still valid (meaning the bad old days of any old sign of any size now has legal standing).

And of course there's the useless "2A Sanctuary" verbiage which the Feds and their minion agents will dismiss with the wave of a hand when it becomes convenient for them to do so.

View Quote

That's not good.

Freaking one step forward and two steps back, imo. God Damn these politicians.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Firearm confiscation in a state of emergency is a federal law signed by bush. When state and federal law collide the supreme court says federal law supercedes state law.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Firearm confiscation in a state of emergency is a federal law signed by bush. When state and federal law collide the supreme court says federal law supercedes state law.
View Quote

It makes no sense. I thought even cc permit requirement was suspended during a state of emergency.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It makes no sense. I thought even cc permit requirement was suspended during a state of emergency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything is an emergency. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_emergencies_in_the_United_States

I choose not to surrender my Consituational and God-given rights due to an arbitrary and capricious declaration.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The sign thing is really confusing.

This is what I take from it until further explanation.

The sign requirements did not change. The signs, and their specificities, as they were before are still required to prohibit concealable weapons by law.

Concealable weapons may be carried openly or concealed, however the signage does not reflect a distinction that an employer may wish to make.
So in addition to the legal sign requirements, they may publish a sign that says "concealed carry allowed" or "only open carry prohibited", if they wish to disallow one but not the other. I suppose this could be an additional sign or added on the sign that meets all of the previous requirements.

[Nothing in this section prevents a public or private employer or owner of a business from posting a sign regarding the prohibition or allowance on those premises of concealable weapons, whether concealed or openly carried, which may be unique to that business

While I still think it is poorly written, if you look at it like this it is easier to reconcile with current law requirements that remain unchanged.

I believe it is trying to get flexibility so that is a business doesn't want open carry, but doesn't mind concealed, that they do not have to ban both. "Which may be unique to that business".
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's kind of every state that's become a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State, the whole idea of a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary is pretty much a Political "We did something" Placebo Tactic. Will it hold up, not if the State needs money for Education Programs or other Programs that the Federal Government usually hands out money for such things. The only real meat of the bill was Open Carry with Permit and the Removal of the $50 SLED Fee, so while it's not a Giant Win, it's a Small Win and we should continue trying to gain Smaller Wins until we can Grab that Giant Win. Whittle them down, death by a thousand cuts and what not!
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top