Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2021 6:39:25 PM EDT
There will be a one day Appleseed on July 24 in Lobelville, TN. That is about an hour from Nashville or Jackson near Waverly. This is a one day event on Saturday, so it is easier to fit into your weekend. If you haven't heard of Appleseed it is a rifle marksmanship and heritage event where you will hear the events of April 19, 1775 and also learn a great deal about rifle marksmanship. April 19, 1775 is the day the Revolutionary War actually kicked off. It is a very interesting story and one you don't hear much any more, esp not in schools if you have younger shooters.

This event will be a 25 meter event but don't let the range fool you. You will be shooting at reduced silhouettes that represent full size targets at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. You will shoot from standing, sitting or kneeling, and prone. There will be timed strings of fire with reloads. It is a challenging course and can be humbling. But don't worry, there will be instructors there to work with you. You will learn how to turn your body into a solid shooting platform, and use natural point of aim and rifleman's cadence to place fast, accurate fire on target. You will also learn a lot of other info like range estimation, and the easy way to zero your rifle quickly.

You can use any rifle but with the ammo situation the rimfire is probably the best choice. A Ruger 10-22 with a scope or Tech Sights and a GI sling is probably the perfect Appleseed trainer. No rifle? No worries. Loaners are available on a first come, first served basis. If you have some youth under 18, message me about rimfire ammo.

I can't say enough good things about Appleseed. The history is great and if you put the instruction into practice you will be able to hit a 12" plate at 300 yards with a centerfire like ringing a bell. It is a great time and if you have younger shooters it will really ground them in the fundamentals and safety. Plus they will learn to run their rifle like a pro. If you are an experienced shooter you will still learn a lot. When I did my first Appleseed I had spent years with a rifle in my hand all the time. I had killed a train car load of game and hit prairie dogs out to 500 yards. It greatly improved my shooting. It can do the same for you.

It is a lot of fun too and something your kids won't forget. Don't take my word for it though. Check out this article from Ash Hess who rewrote the Army marksmanship manual and see what he has to say about Appleseed.

Hess Info

Take a few minutes to peruse the Appleseed website. Check out "How to Prepare" and click "Find an Event" to sign up

Appleseed Home Page

You don't need fancy equipment and we can put you on a rifle if you don't have one. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to arrange for a loaner. So come on out and become a Rifleman instead of just a guy with a rifle
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll second all of your positive comments about Appleseed.  I attended with my son probably 10 years ago.  I made Rifleman, he missed it by a small margin, but the real fun of the weekend was the infusion of American history and learning how the American Rifleman really changed the course of history.  That event was where I learned how to properly use a sling as well, and the first time I ever had a rifle properly shouldered such that I could "see" my heartbeat in the sights.  

Great time..highly recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top