Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 2:44:27 PM EDT
old member here; had to get a new email for the account.
due to retiring and a desire to move; which is better Texas or Oklahoma?
I've been visiting Texas for work and vacation over the last 35+ years and like it a lot.
I've worked with Texans and Okies.  
A good friend lives in Texas also but I don't need to live close to them.  
I don’t know a whole lot about Oklahoma; drove through there a handful of times.  Looks like the panhandle would be a no go though.
And I’m not sure of how it is on the retirement financial end of things.

I would like to sell property I have here and reinvest it into some land and barndominium.  
I already live where you turn right when you hear the banjos; so BFE is fine with me.    
Primary area I would want would need to have water available, and preferably ground good enough to raise a decent garden.
The further west the better I guess, don't really care for SE Texas.  Love the hill country.  
But iirc there are mountains in east Oklahoma?
Like the desert but kind of need trees for shade also.  I can tolerant the heat and humidity (born and raised); but I really do appreciate shade and coolness.  
Live in a red state already; but would prefer to live in a free-er state.  From what I’ve seen your politicians seem to be very pro- 2nd Amendment.  Which is great.  
Any suggestions on where to move?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
old member here; had to get a new email for the account.
due to retiring and a desire to move; which is better Texas or Oklahoma?
I've been visiting Texas for work and vacation over the last 35+ years and like it a lot.
I've worked with Texans and Okies.  
A good friend lives in Texas also but I don't need to live close to them.  
I don’t know a whole lot about Oklahoma; drove through there a handful of times.  Looks like the panhandle would be a no go though.
And I’m not sure of how it is on the retirement financial end of things.

I would like to sell property I have here and reinvest it into some land and barndominium.  
I already live where you turn right when you hear the banjos; so BFE is fine with me.    
Primary area I would want would need to have water available, and preferably ground good enough to raise a decent garden.
The further west the better I guess, don't really care for SE Texas.  Love the hill country.  
But iirc there are mountains in east Oklahoma?
Like the desert but kind of need trees for shade also.  I can tolerant the heat and humidity (born and raised); but I really do appreciate shade and coolness.  
Live in a red state already; but would prefer to live in a free-er state.  From what I’ve seen your politicians seem to be very pro- 2nd Amendment.  Which is great.  
Any suggestions on where to move?  
View Quote

Land is cheaper in Oklahoma but Texas has some better tax laws. Oklahoma has better access to public hunting. But I believe Texas has better fishing. I have heard the cost of living is cheaper in Oklahoma but we don’t have the Big cities for the artistic and shopping area. I like the Hill Country of Texas but there is no way I would stay in the Western part around Lubbock up through Amarillo.

Where I’m at in the Eastern part of the state we’re pretty Clannish and if we decide we like you you’re good to go. We tolerate some and others just leave. Now Pushmataha county is a little worse than Leflore or McCurtain county. If you’re more into fishing McCalister north is great. But the best public land for hunting is in the Southeastern part. And we have some decent lakes just not quite as big as Grand or Eufaula.

I think around McCalister and slightly west in the Rolling country the ground is bit better for gardening. But we farm rocks pretty good here in the eastern part and if you get near the river bottoms you find less rocks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If I were you I’d move to northern Texas . Better tax laws , they won’t tax your retirement income ( no income tax ) while still being away from the liberals in Texas ( Austen / DFW / Houston ) plus north Texas has a lot of the benefits of Oklahoma like cheaper property, you just have to get away from the city’s to find it.

I’m personally saving my money to buy some land in northern Texas so Oklahoma doesn’t get any of my retirement money someday. I might build a tiny house there and live there the majority of the year while maintaining my Oklahoma residence wink wink.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas has better taxes, but I'm never leaving Ok. It's conservative paradise here. Fantastic hunting, fishing and firearm laws, and lots of places to exercise those freedoms too. I don't think you could go wrong in either place honestly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas has better taxes, but I'm never leaving Ok. It's conservative paradise here. Fantastic hunting, fishing and firearm laws, and lots of places to exercise those freedoms too. I don't think you could go wrong in either place honestly.
View Quote

Okies like to trash talk Texans and vice versa but it's like brothers picking on each other. If it came down to it Texans are pretty generally good to go. We both have liberal infestations but Tx is taking that worse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I spent a decade or so in each (more in OK).  Texas is more varied, good and bad.  Texas has more varied types of environment.  Hill Country area is great, but attracts all the wrong kind of people.  Outside of the two big cities most of Oklahoma is pretty good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top