Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2021 3:42:54 PM EDT
If I understand it correctly, I am GTG on a backyard range, but I need your sanity check.  I live in unincorporated Okaloosa County, all the houses in my area are on 1.1 acre lots or larger.  I have on old, unused above ground septic tank that would make a good backstop.   I would only be firing 9mm, .45 and .22 pistols.  I am on good terms with my neighbors.  Am I missing something or am I GTG?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
790.15(4)b is what you seek

(4)Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:(a)To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
(b)If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
(c)To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Suppressors will keep you and your neighbors good neighbors.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
My take is you a fine, you fall outside the limitations on high density neighborhoods.

I would talk to my neighbors, invite them to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The law cited above is basically a Culpable Negligence law that is firearms specific.

It's a feel-good law that provides nothing above and beyond the already existing Culpable Negligence law.

Ignore the residential density aspect as it means nothing if you're using universal precautions and shooting in a relatively safe manner.

If you have neighbors that will hear the gun fire, I assure you, the cops will come. Just be prepared to show them what precautions you're taking to prevent the bullets from leaving your property and that should be enough.  Print off the above cited law and be prepared to point out to responding LEO's the part that basically says the entire law is meaningless if you're being safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top