Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/18/2020 7:52:11 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about this group?

They seem to be spearheading the 2nd Amendment Sanctuary movement in Ohio, but I can find out almost nothing about them. They have a facebook page, but it seems to contain no info about how to contact them or methods to stay in the loop on 2A news within the state.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told they are part of ofcc but have not verified this.
View Quote
I see nothing on the OFCC website or forums linking them to Ohio Stands United,  but I might have missed something.  For an organization that claims to want to educate people, OSU sure is hard to get in touch with.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Here is a link to screen shot I took of my conversation with them via facebook messenger.

Here is a link to WOSU interview:

https://radio.wosu.org/post/second-amendment-sanctuaries#stream/0

I would not give them any of my money with absolutely no oversight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://imgur.com/a/FaWM2to

Here is a link to screen shot I took of my conversation with them via facebook messenger.

Here is a link to WOSU interview:

https://radio.wosu.org/post/second-amendment-sanctuaries#stream/0

I would not give them any of my money with absolutely no oversight.
View Quote
@Ohioan

The screen shot of your conversation isn't showing up for me. Can you try again? Still can't find any contact info for them.

ETA: Never mind, I was able to access your imgur link.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Most conversations of Ohio Stands United is done on the Slack app. From there you can see general conversations as well as drop down menu for individual County conversations, communications, and progress.
FYI, Michael Hiles started Ohio Stands United as a means for individuals to ban together and become active politically at the local level with liberty especially 2nd Amendment petitions. I've met and talked with Michael personally and he in my opinion is a stand up guy. He's passionate about folks voicing their opinions politically at the local level.
It is the hope that all counties declare themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries thereby providing much needed leverage at the state level when the rubber meets the roads.
We all realized 2nd Amendment Sanctuary declarations voted on by county commissioners have very little legal bit or standing. It's more a position statement to Columbus to not trifle with 2nd Amendment rights especially with Red Flag Laws and other laws that are intended to reduce our God given rights.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They had all three commissioners,  Judge Schroeder,  Dave Thomas, Sandy OBrien, Bill Nemi ,Sarah Fowler and I think one other elected official at their first meeting.  Seems to be a reasonable group. Now, some of those in attendance?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20200118_150220-1291535.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20200118_150233-1291536.jpg
View Quote
Were you at the meeting? When and where was it?
What was the outcome?
Is there another meeting coming up?

Soooo many questions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most conversations of Ohio Stands United is done on the Slack app. From there you can see general conversations as well as drop down menu for individual County conversations, communications, and progress.
FYI, Michael Hiles started Ohio Stands United as a means for individuals to ban together and become active politically at the local level with liberty especially 2nd Amendment petitions. I've met and talked with Michael personally and he in my opinion is a stand up guy. He's passionate about folks voicing their opinions politically at the local level.
It is the hope that all counties declare themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries thereby providing much needed leverage at the state level when the rubber meets the roads.
We all realized 2nd Amendment Sanctuary declarations voted on by county commissioners have very little legal bit or standing. It's more a position statement to Columbus to not trifle with 2nd Amendment rights especially with Red Flag Laws and other laws that are intended to reduce our God given rights.
Hope this helps.
View Quote
Thanks. I'm going to look into the Slack app now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was told they are part of ofcc but have not verified this.
View Quote
That is not the case.

I am glad people are getting involved in protecting our 2A rights.  Good on them.

I support people contacting their elected officials and telling them that they expect them to defend the 2A at every level.  We shouldn't tolerate an anti-gun politician in any office, even dog catcher.

Having said all of that, the county sanctuary movement grew out of Virginia, where they are in heap big trouble.  They lost the legislature and have an anti-gun governor.  Ohio isn't in that position and doesn't look to be heading that way any time soon.  If we can defend our pro-gun majorities in both chambers of the general assembly then the sanctuary county movement isn't strictly necessary for us.

Furthermore, Ohio has statewide preemption in ORC 9.68.  This is an inherently PRO-GUN thing to have on the books.  It gives us leverage to sue cities when they pass dumb-ass anti-gun ordinances that restrict firearms more than state law.  OFCC has used ORC 9.68 successfully against lots of cities who have tried this including Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and a bunch of smaller municipalities.  Remember after the AWB sunset when online vendors had restrictions on shipping 15+ round mags to cities like Cincinnati?  That was before we got statewide peemption.  I do not want to see our very valuable tool that we use to beat the anti-gun jackwagons into submission get undermined.  Whether or not the sanctuary county movement can do that is beyond me as I am not a lawyer.

So in summary - the Ohio Stands United people are doing good things by energizing the pro-gun regular folks and are to be commended.  If I had my druthers I would rather see that energy used to pass things like active notification repeal, SYG, and constitutional carry.  But I am not going to criticize anybody pulling their own weight for freedom.  Maybe after the counties get their sanctuary status the same folks who organized that action can direct folks for more pro-gun activism.  That'd be a huge positive for us.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jan 18th at Ashtabula library.

Yes I went but had to leave early for a 4-H planning meeting. The Ohio Stands United meeting was basically an introduction of the group but it was good to gear the positions of some of the candidates.  For some reason, since I don't have facebook, I can't access their page so I can't answer the question about the next meeting.

Commissioners...Ducro clarified some of his posting on the Facebook page. Koslowski is a solid pro gunner as is Whittington.

Judge Schroder is on our side which is good to know. He basically said red flag laws are a waste of time.  Judges already have the authority to remove firearms from certain situations and there is an appeal process. Add him to Judge Specht, Harold gets a hard nose rep but truth be told, he does have a reasonable compassion for people who make errors in judgment.

You can ask @shotar, he knows my opinion. I REALLY don't want to vote for the current sheriff.  I personally know Nemi and he is a decent guy.  After hearing his wishy-washy answer about the 2nd Ammendment, I think I'd stay with the devil I know in Johnson.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a current officials and candidates show up to the G-n-G on June 20th.
View Quote
Thank you! This is excellent information.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is not the case.

I am glad people are getting involved in protecting our 2A rights.  Good on them.

I support people contacting their elected officials and telling them that they expect them to defend the 2A at every level.  We shouldn't tolerate an anti-gun politician in any office, even dog catcher.

Having said all of that, the county sanctuary movement grew out of Virginia, where they are in heap big trouble.  They lost the legislature and have an anti-gun governor.  Ohio isn't in that position and doesn't look to be heading that way any time soon.  If we can defend our pro-gun majorities in both chambers of the general assembly then the sanctuary county movement isn't strictly necessary for us.

Furthermore, Ohio has statewide preemption in ORC 9.68.  This is an inherently PRO-GUN thing to have on the books.  It gives us leverage to sue cities when they pass dumb-ass anti-gun ordinances that restrict firearms more than state law.  OFCC has used ORC 9.68 successfully against lots of cities who have tried this including Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and a bunch of smaller municipalities.  Remember after the AWB sunset when online vendors had restrictions on shipping 15+ round mags to cities like Cincinnati?  That was before we got statewide peemption.  I do not want to see our very valuable tool that we use to beat the anti-gun jackwagons into submission get undermined.  Whether or not the sanctuary county movement can do that is beyond me as I am not a lawyer.

So in summary - the Ohio Stands United people are doing good things by energizing the pro-gun regular folks and are to be commended.  If I had my druthers I would rather see that energy used to pass things like active notification repeal, SYG, and constitutional carry.  But I am not going to criticize anybody pulling their own weight for freedom.  Maybe after the counties get their sanctuary status the same folks who organized that action can direct folks for more pro-gun activism.  That'd be a huge positive for us.
View Quote
Great post. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
After seeing firsthand the mess in Virginia, I have decided that it's high time I get off my ass and get more politically involved in protecting our gun rights here at home.

It seems to me that Ohio Stands United is taking a proactive approach to do just this.  Regardless of whether the 2A sanctuary effort is the best approach for Ohio, I would very much like to contact them and hear more about their goals.

With that in mind does anyone have a way to contact them directly?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out "Ohio Patriot Network" (facebook page). They have an updating map of 2A sanctuary counties and progress notifications of any resolutions.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After seeing firsthand the mess in Virginia, I have decided that it's high time I get off my ass and get more politically involved in protecting our gun rights here at home.
View Quote
Should you decide to run against Sherrod Brown I will right here right now commit to vote for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope they are legit because I bought 2 shirts from the guy running the Wayne County group at the Wooster Gun Show.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Ashtabula County 2A Sanctuary meeting is tomorrow at 3PM at the Senior Center in Ashtabula if anyone else is interested.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IM me if it continues. Seems like a Senior Center might be reconsider hosting an outside group.

ETA: I can't see their Facebook page anymore.
View Quote
I spoke with the organizer this morning and he indicated that the meeting is still taking place as scheduled.  They are expecting a smallish turnout.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top