Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2022 12:07:36 PM EDT

Unreal...

The trade association for the businesses most hurt by Little Mikey's (and Doctor Lab-Coat's) extreme over-reaction to The Wu-Flu has given him their endorsement for governor.  THOUSANDS of Ohio bars and restaurants were unable to survive the shut-down -> social distancing -> mandated shortened hours -> etc...  Granted some of these businesses were not run well and probably would have closed anyway but MANY were simply unable to cope with the arbitrary limitations foisted upon their businesses and would still be here today without the government's intervention to save us from ourselves.  The labor issues stemming from all of this are still putting a HUGE burden on the businesses that have hung on this long.

I worked in the service industry for many years and work with bar owners and managers on a daily basis in my current job.  The industry is certainly left leaning but this is just incredible to me.  I am curious what kind of push-back (if any) they will get over this from the business owners that they "represent."

ETA:  http://www.ohiorestaurant.org/blog/post/news-release-ora-endorses-mike-dewine-for-governor
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
So maybe this is really the unions, and corporate chains like Panera and Chili's?

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
And couple this with LaRosa's 100k hit to Blystone. Looks like the fix is in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So maybe this is really the unions, and corporate chains like Panera and Chili's?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe.  This quote from their announcement is just bonkers:

"Mike DeWine has been a tireless advocate for Ohio's small business community, and has a special understanding of and appreciation for the unique challenges that face the restaurant industry," said ORA President and CEO John Barker. "His pro-business, pro-growth, pro-jobs stance on the issues that matter most to our members has earned him our endorsement for governor."
Except when he was forcing businesses to close (with no time to sell on-hand perishable inventory), forcing arbitrary customer capacity limits, and imposing significantly restricted hours of operation when he so graciously allowed bars/restaurants to reopen. Except when he vetoed a bill that would limit his or any other governor's ability to do the same in the future.  Other than that he was super-duper though.  Isn't that right Mr Barker?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Clown World.

Honk! Honk!

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Here we F'n go. I'd like to have a survey of all those small businesses.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Who is the better alternative?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who is the better alternative?
View Quote
I like a lot of what  Blystone says but I was leaning toward Renaci for the primary. My gut feeling is we'll get stuck with Little Mikey as the candidate. He'll never get a primary vote from me after his antics in 2020.

ETA: It sucks that we won't get to see a debate and that's on Renaci as much as Little Mikey.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed. It seems out of touch to me but who knows, so many in the industry are left leaning. Maybe they do think the measures that were put in place were helpful. I can tell you that most of the folks I know don't. Of course some do but from my sample group they are the minority.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Renaci's on the ballot to take votes away from Blystone, might as well just vote DeWine at that point
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Agreed. It seems out of touch to me but who knows, so many in the industry are left leaning. Maybe they do think the measures that were put in place were helpful. I can tell you that most of the folks I know don't. Of course some do but from my sample group they are the minority.
View Quote
Well, once DeWine killed off so many small restaurants, only woke shills were left, most likely.
Which begs the question, wouldn't they support the Democrat?  Perhaps that's the real reason they suppport DeWine... they know conservatives will hate the idea of voting for him, and it means an easy victory for a Dem.

I'd almost rather get a Dem at that point, because our legislature can override him as needed, and would likely be more happy to do so with a Dem.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Clown World.

Honk! Honk!

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones that hate him, are no longer in business. I doubt they are paying association dues, therefore their voices aren't being heard.

However the ones who made money (benefitted from DeSwine's royal decrees) of course will endorse him
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#14]
He did his best to kill every small business. Those that fell in line were rewarded by being allowed to stay open. Now they must repay the favor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
...consider it yet another "red-pill" moment...  

if we've learned anything the last several years, ...it's that these trade associations represent very little of what they proclaim to, and many times throw all the real people under the bus as they brown-nose to the power-elite "establishment" and promulgate their "narratives"...   ...this was the case for the whole plandemic...   especially consider what we saw from all the medical fields, with all those "associations" that never missed a beat in forcing the globalist fauci and klaus schwab deep-state fascist dictates on humanity...   those who are "awake" see it for what it is with great clarity...
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
We just lost a good little America-loving restaurant, near Springfield, in Catawba.  Sis's.
Due to the price of food.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/springfield-news-sun/20220327/281977496125607

"So, we bought it and opened up July 1. My wife and I had three basic things: One, we were going to sell the food at a reasonable price. Two, we were going to make sure people had enough to eat and when they got up, they weren't going to be hungry.  Three, we were going to be good homestyle cooking," he said.  Warner cites the rise in costs and supply chain issues as the reasons for closing.

"Food costs have just gone outrageous," he said. "We raised our prices for the first time in nine months on Feb. 1 and we are already behind again. We raised prices to keep food costs down but we are back up again already just a month later." As an example, Warner said when they first started out a 10-pound slab of bacon cost $35 and now costs $57, and chicken fried steaks were $43 for a case and are now $96.

"We just got to the point where we were tired of trying to keep up. We talked about it on and off for the past couple of months and just came to the decision this weekend that we could not run the restaurant and provide a product that we're comfortable providing to the public at a price that we think is fair. We can't run it the way we want to run it anymore," Warner said.
The cost increases are killing small town mom-and-pop businesses, Warner said: "It's just sad that another small business has to go to the wayside because of cost."
"One customer said you don't have places like this where you can sit down and relax and meet with your friends and talk with your friends. Other restaurants don't have that kind of environment where you don't feel comfortable doing that.  Ours is inviting when you walk in. The customer said something else that struck me. He said when you own a business, you don't really own a business, it owns you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel for them. Food costs have me nervous just as a consumer. My pay isn't going up any but my grocery bill sure is, as is the price of just about everything else along with it. Things are going to be tough for a while I fear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#18]
....they take our money on the front-side through "taxation", ....then they come and take more of our money on the back-side through "inflation"...

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
....they take our money on the front-side through "taxation", ....then they come and take more of our money on the back-side through "inflation"...

View Quote
True story...

Just wait until they start taxing or just plain taking our retirement accounts so that we can all have a nice .gov retirement to look forward to.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top