Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/13/2020 12:52:21 PM EDT
I think I am reading old information on some stuff.  On one hand I read there is no magazine capacity limit but on the other I see anything over 31 rounds without reloading may be considered an automatic firearm.

- Can you have drum magazines for ar's?
- Can you have 40 round ar mags
- What about the glock 31 round handgun magazines?  
---- I also read that even though they say 31 rounds but hold 33?  I dont know...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer:  There is no longer a capacity limit in OH.

What HB 234 Means to You: Part III - 31+ round magazines & non-contiguous transfers
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What HB 234 Means to You: Part III - 31+ round magazines & non-contiguous transfers
View Quote
Makes sense.  They just redefined automatic weapon to a single pull of the trigger.  This is the good and bad of the internet.  You read data that is old and if you dont find the updates (if any) you are stuck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Your question has been answered already but yes, there are still many who are uninformed of the changes to this “automatic weapon” magazine nonsense from nearly 5 years ago.

Regarding the Glock “extendo” 9mm magazines, they are externally marked as 31 but most have a +2 baseplate on them, bringing the overall total to 33. They ship from the factory with the +2 but some folks remove them to put on G19 or G17 magazines.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your question has been answered already but yes, there are still many who are uninformed of the changes to this “automatic weapon” magazine nonsense from nearly 5 years ago.

Regarding the Glock “extendo” 9mm magazines, they are externally marked as 31 but most have a +2 baseplate on them, bringing the overall total to 33. They ship from the factory with the +2 but some folks remove them to put on G19 or G17 magazines.
View Quote
Thanks. That makes sense on the extended base.

So prior to this were they selling these in Ohio or were we on the do not ship to state list?  Was 31 rounds legal prior or was it 30+1 technically in the chamber?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks. That makes sense on the extended base.

So prior to this were they selling these in Ohio or were we on the do not ship to state list?  Was 31 rounds legal prior or was it 30+1 technically in the chamber?  Just curious.
View Quote
Some online retailers would sell them, many wouldn't, some still don't because they don't know the law changed.  They were openly sold in many gun stores because 31+ round mags were legal to own for automatic firearms, or you could own them as long as you didn't put them in a firearm.  I think that's where the case law ended up ( you can't just go by the written law ).  The magazine capacity law was rarely enforced, it was mostly an add-on charge if you were being charged with another crime.  I think 31 rounds in the mag was legal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Although it's just semantics now, the old law didn't make owning, possessing, buying, selling, etc. magazines illegal.

It just stated that a weapon capable of firing more than 30 (or 31 I forget exactly) rounds without reloading was "dangerous ordinance"

And "dangerous ordinance" was illegal except in certain cases like federally registered NFA weapons.

I believe there are still some local mag limit laws on the books, but they can't be enforced due to preemption laws.

All of that combined causes confusion, which in turn causes some vendors to play it safe and not sell to OH or specific areas of OH, although from what I've personally seen that is few and far between.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good info, thank you for posting link!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top