Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/17/2020 11:22:13 AM EDT
I do not carry a knife but find it interesting that the law is vague in general.  I used to think the 4" limit was standard but it seems that 2.5" in Cleveland and Akron and maybe elsewhere is the limit.  I also dont understand the prohibits the carrying of or concealed.

My questions come from something very innocent and has to do with multi tools.  I recently traveled to MI and in the room I could have used a wrench and screwdriver for something in the room.  I realized that I had many multi tools at home but not one in my travel bag.  So I got home and put one in my bag, but I measured the blade length first.  It was 3" and I assumed I was safe but reading 2.5" and me being one city away from Cleveland got me interested in this.  I know I am overthinking it but thats what I do.  Id rather learn and know.

I know deadly weapon and intent matters too.  But then I read about specific city lengths and that probably trumps intent.  A multi tool is clear in its intent I think.  The knife part isnt easily accessible without unfolding and pulling.  But Im sure if it were to be by the book in Cleveland, a multi tool with a 3" blade as 1 of 50 tools would probably cause an issue if someone wanted to push.

Questions:

- Are multi tools with blades as a tool considered a knife?
- Length's on these that are legal?  And do you really have to be aware of city laws as well as state?
- What if you dont carry these but they are in your car only?
---  I also dont want to have to worry about state lines and issues with neighboring states by chance.
- In your travel bag which means in your car and then out of your car into a hotel?  
- Should I just get one with a smaller blade and not worry about it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a Spyderco with a 4.250 long blade everyday and everywhere.

To my sons school, to the local PD department when I pick him from Explorers.

I've been pulled over for speeding and I mention my pistol per the law and never been asked about a knife.

Short of places where knives aren't allowed (UC hospital was one that shocked me with the metal detector) I carry it.

If a cop wants to get you for concealed weapons and assuming you have a CHL, its gonna be a hard push when court time comes.

If I was ever asked I'd just say its for work and leave it at that.

Until you wrote this post I've never even gave it a second thought.

By the way my comments are for Ohio only.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
State knife laws are comically vague and are more about carrying a weapon. They definitely need clearing up and possibly preemption.

I carry a pocket knife pretty much everywhere. I don't carry it as a weapon, I carry it as a tool. If questioned about it that's how I'll respond.

Funny story: Decided to go visit the Liberty Bell on my way back from the east coast. I was carrying my Doug Ritter Griptilian with an Orange handle. Went to walk in and at the metal detector I was emptying my pockets and realized I had my knife. As I had it in my hand about to ask if it was okay to bring in a security guard said, "I'll take that," and grabbed it from my had.

I said something resembling, "Like hell you will, I'll just go put it in my car," and they tried to walk away with it like it was theirs now. I was able to quickly get a supervisor's attention. He came over and I explained they definitely can't keep it but I carry it as a tool, not a weapon. The supervisor took it from the guard and said to him, "What's he going to do with this?" and handed it back to me. I apologized for the trouble and thanked him for his rationality.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was a patrol cop, my stance was always that a multitool is not a weapon, unless you use it as such.  I never knew of anyone else making an issue of blade length on a multitool.  I've also never used one to get a CCW arrest.

Unless you decide to commit a felony with the thing, you should be okay.  I say should, because there is always a chance you will encounter a doofus cop who sees a working man with a multitool and says "hey, that's an illegal weapon!"  Whether or not the charge sticks is irrelevant, since you will still have to deal with a bunch of grief, in the meantime.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Use it as a weapon. And it’s a weapon.

Use it as a tool..it’s a tool.

18Z50....AFO carrier since 2001.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You should be fine with a multi-tool.  It is quite obviously marketed as a tool.  Heck, the word "tool" is right in the name.  Could an an overly aggressive police officer and/or prosecutor make your life difficult if they wanted to?  Sure, probably, but I doubt that would happen.  My experience has always been that if I am polite and respectful with the police officers that I encounter they treat me the same way.

Most police officers that I know and have talked to about this issue tell me that for smaller pocket knives they will only write that up as a charge when 1) they are looking to stack up charges to give the prosecutors more leverage in order to make more serious charges stick. (i.e. plead to these charges and we'll drop these ones). 2) The person in question was using the knife as a weapon in the process of committing a crime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought there was a bill introduced clearing up the muddled double-talk mess of a law regarding automatics (switchblades).  Anything new on this?  TIA
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagged
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m the op. Since asking this question I decided to just use smaller multi tools in my car and travel bags and avoid the issues.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top