Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2018 4:08:52 PM EDT
I'm slightly confused the ISP website has rough description of multiple license types so I came her to seek clarification.

I'm active military and just moved here, I already have multiple valid CCW permits from states that have reciprocity agreements with IN. My home of record or state of legal residence is not IN, I do have a CCW from that other state.

Since IN and my state have reciprocity do I need to bother with paying another $$$ and doing another background check and another fingerprint fee to get an IN card or am I good to go with my non IN CCW?

When I was stationed in another state, that state's laws specified that residents, out of state folk and/or non-permanent residents who resided in that state for more than six-months were required to get a state/county issued CCW and the state would only acknowledge reciprocity from other states for six-months.

I've already got a second wallet full of CCWs thanking those states for my service with dollars and wasted time; do I have to do that here or is my other state issued CCW god until I move again?

The next question is it seems there is a personal defense carry permit and a hunting/target shooting carry permit. I both carry daily to protect my family from 2 and 4 legged threats and to occasionally target shoot and put food on the table, being AD military I can purchase a resident hunting license to go with my out of state CCW, is that all I need or do I also have to get a permit to take firearms to public and private shooting ranges and hunting areas?

I've been hesitant to go ask the local authorities, in my past experiences they want the money so they will say of course you have to get one even if they really have no idea what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're legal address will be IN, you'll need the paperwork.

If you'll be carrying for anything other than hunting, you'll need the personal protection licence.

What area? PM if you prefer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Moved to the Camp Atterbury area, what is a legal address?

According to some federal law (I don't know exactly which) being active duty mil I don't have to change my home of record from my home state; I've been told by multiple DMVs I don't have to change my drivers license nor my vehicle's registration to another state and can maintain them in my home of record; so why should I have to change my CCW if there is reciprocity other than states wanting to fill their coffers with easy money?

According to the Army my home of record is my address for tax purposes, I'm not sure if that is the same as a legal residence or not. For the Army a home of record is for taxes and the address they return me to when I no longer work for them.

I'm a bit over paying the state-man over and over again for no reason. Then having another army-man tell me I have to move every two years. Uncle Sam doesn't recoup for paying for the "right" to protect myself. If you want to average it out it costs me roughly $75-$150 for each permit, and then the time and travel to do the applications and fingerprints and such. I have four CCWs from four states, Indiana would make five.

If Indiana law doesn't specify that I would have to due obtain a 5th CCW due to a certain time period of residence/occupancy and Indiana maintains reciprocity with all four CCW states I already have why bother giving the state the money and waste my time (again) applying for and obtaining and paying for fingerprints and vetting (revetting) I don't need.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Send Guy Relford an Email.

Facebook link.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I see where you're coming from, really I do.... but on the other hand, statements like "If Indiana law doesn't specify that I would have to due obtain a 5th CCW", sort of make it sound like you're laying this all at Indiana's feet.... I get that you're fed up with shelling out the bucks, and I would be too, but if you want to carry in a given state, and that state has certain criteria that must be met such as background checks, etc. that involve a cost to the state, why should I have to pay, but not you?

As far as the vetting you've already been through for other states, if you ran a company flying freght and some dude from 7 states away applied for a pilot's position, would you be cool with him handing you a stack of paperwork and saying "I'm good to go bro, here's all my certs from Oklahoma"?  And if you answer that with "Yes", my second question to you is do you accept those documents at face value, i.e. you do not check them for authenticity, or even to see if the issuer's criteria are as stringent as your own?  If you answer, "Well, I at least gotta look into it", are you not now investing time and resources, a/k/a money?

With all that said, if there are regs saying you keep your original address of record, then I'm all for you not having to obtain an Indiana LTCH, no problem.

If you're going to use creds from another state, that brings another matter to the discussion, which is that Indiana has some interesting legal wording regarding out of state documentation.  That's the short version.  You may decide that getting an Indiana LTCH is a better option than dealing with an out of state and reciprocity, and, an Indiana LTCH mayhave better reciprocity than what you have now.

( @Sig_OwnerP229 )

Quoted:

Just to clarify, IIRC the exact language is "according to the terms thereof" or something like that, which is often argued by legal experts that beg the question just what does that mean?

The safest interpretation I've heard is as follows: That the terms of the license in the issuing state must be followed. If it says right on the license that it is for concealed carry only that is a term of the license and must be adhered to even though IN permits OC. Furthermore, the terms of the license do not absolve one from following IN state laws. I think if Texas law permits one to carry into a K-12 school and somebody comes to IN and carries into one (presumably getting caught) the LEOs and DA/PA aren't going to say, "oh, he's from TX, he only has to abide by the laws in TX because of that pesky clause in the Indiana Code."

Now, don't paint me as a bad guy. I'm not a lawyer, I also used to tell people they had to follow the laws of their state. Then a lawyer pointed out that "terms" doesn't mean the same thing as "laws" and that it's a dangerous recommendation to tell somebody they don't have to follow IN law because of that clause. There is no court case that I know of that tested the meaning of that clause, I wouldn't want somebody to be that test-case based on info given here...
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send Guy Relford an Email.

Facebook link.
View Quote
I reached out to him through his website, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, there is an exemption for TDY/PCS of Active-duty personnel but I could be confusing that with DNR exemptions (you would qualify for resident licenses/fees even though your permanent residence is in another state)... I'll see if I can find more info.

You could call the State Police Firearms Licensing dividion: 317-232-8264

There is this:https://faqs.in.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115005236008-Does-Indiana-honor-handgun-licenses-from-other-states-

IC 35-47-2-2 also lists excepted persons
(6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
(8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;

I'm not finding anything in the code that allows for an exemption if your legal residence in in Indiana. I guess it all comes down to the nuances of the residency question. IANAL but if you're not changing your drivers license you're not a resident of the state... and I think you would be hard-pressed to find somebody that wanted to make a big deal about it.

That being said, this is your chance to get an Indiana Lifetime License which will then forever be good, even after you move out of state... (assuming you can qualify as a resident because lifetime licenses can only be issued to residents)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top