Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2018 12:22:33 PM EDT
As the title says I have been offered a transfer to  Mobile.  While my wife and I  have only visited Alabama a couple of times many years ago, the warm weather and lack of snow does intrigue us.   I have done many internet searches but without knowledge of an area I cant be sure about any specific location.  Schools are not an issue, which helps make  relocating much easier.  We have been looking at the Spanish Fort area.  Any insight to an area we should look at or shouldn't look at would be great. We only have a couple of concerns, flooding and the rich and vibrant.  Housing up to $275000, a non hoa would be great but Im not sure if thats possible.  We will be renting for at least 6-12 months before we make any permanent home purchases, rental ideas would be helpful also. Thanks for any info you guys can pass along.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It really depends on where the job would be.
I have many friends who have lived in the area through the years and they liked the Daphne and Fairhope area.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Baldwin County is where you'll want to be.

You can go to Mobile County, but you need to be very selective of your areas.

I lived in Loxley, AL for 3 years. Easy access to I-10 if working in Mobile.

The damn tunnel and bridge suck for traffic though. People can't handle driving in the tunnel. Lots of traffic jams there. I think they are supposed to rework this area though.

I love MT though. My Mom was born there and I still have family there. I'd move there in a heartbeat if work would send me there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I work in Mobile and live in Spanish Fort.  Spanish Fort Estates has homes in lots of different price ranges and it has an optional HOA fee of $25/year.  Depending on what you're looking for in a house, there are also a lot of newer subdivisions on 31 out toward Stapleton.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I work in Mobile and live in Spanish Fort.  Spanish Fort Estates has homes in lots of different price ranges and it has an optional HOA fee of $25/year.  Depending on what you're looking for in a house, there are also a lot of newer subdivisions on 31 out toward Stapleton.
View Quote
This is the kind of information I am looking for.  What is the average commute time for you?  Best of luck with today's hurricane, hopefully no serious damage in your area.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is the kind of information I am looking for.  What is the average commute time for you?  Best of luck with today's hurricane, hopefully no serious damage in your area.

Thanks again
View Quote
My commute is only 20-25 minutes, but I don't have to go far into Mobile.  No bad weather here today, just a couple sprinkles and a little bit more wind than usual.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
spanishfort/baldwin county area for sure. lived in mobile while working ems there... there is no where in that county i'd actually want to live.
View Quote
Hey now..  West Mobile ain't bad.  Saraland is also new and improved.  Pulled out of the Mobile County School System and everything.

The wife's a Real Estate Agent, so if OP needs some help, help a fellow 'Bama ARFCOM guy out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top