Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2021 8:19:01 AM EDT
We have a trip planned for Big Bend in November.

I was curious what is arfcoms opinions on the following offroad areas?

Escondido Draw

Hidden Falls

Katemcy Rocks

Twin Buttes(San Angelo)

Barnwell Mountain

Thanks for any and all opinions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Escondido Draw

Hidden Falls

Katemcy Rocks

Twin Buttes(San Angelo)

Barnwell Mountain

View Quote

Be very careful to make sure you only go where you are allowed and that vehicles are specifically permitted to be.  Keep in mind that most of Texas is private property.  Property rights are enforced zealously.  Watch out for no trespassing and purple marked trees and posts.  Make sure you know where property lines are.  It can be easy to stray out of public areas into private property if you aren't careful.

Most people already know all this, but people from states where there is a lot of public BLM land (western US mostly) or people from up north where trespassing laws are weak and not taken that seriously can sometimes get in trouble in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I only went to Barnwell once, around 2003. It was ok, I went with a group. It just ended up not being my thing. I think it just boiled down to philosophy of why you have a jeep 4x4. We went on a medium easy trail, it was fun, then we pulled into a deep draw and everyone stood around to see who could drive through it. About half the guys where like, come on let's go to the rocks. Whatever.

To me it's all about having the tool to get a job done, take care of it and try not to break anything that will cost you and still achieve your goal. The culture in the club was more like this was all disposable income, breaking stuff was the norm, oh I blew out my Dana 44 this weekend! Oh well, we'll put it back in the shop and put another $2500 into it. Ruined it for me for a long time, sold my jeep and didn't get back into it for a while.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Escondido Draw - Haven't been.

Hidden Falls - Great park, lots of "park rangers" that can be annoying (Think mall cop driving around in a jeep). It seems like every time a trail gets good, they bulldoze and make the obstacles easier. I'm guessing the mall crawlers complain to management. IDK. We still go a lot because its big, close, and good for the kids. There are a shit ton of SXS's running around this park now. Lots of amenities, cabins, RV spots, etc. Great family park though.

Katemcy Rocks - Cool park, Jeeps/crawlers only so no SXS crowd, Same as nearby Wolf Caves (Which I find to be better). These parks are more hardcore and you will get body damage unless you're on the easy trails or park roads.

Twin Buttes(San Angelo) - Haven't been

Barnwell Mountain - Great Park (I hope you like orange dirt and rock). Great trails and several very challenging obstacles, even for built rigs. Great family park. ETA: Good camping/lodging options here as well

View Quote
@RCC1 See above

Also:

Trees Ranch out West of Kerrville is badass. I've only covered about 1/3 of that park so far. Hoping to go again this fall.

Green Acres in Clayton, OK is pretty badass. Its super hardcore as well. I wouldn't go there on anything less than 37's. (But really 40's)

I have an LJ on tons and 43" stickies and a JLUR on 38's that we take on easy trips (HF).

Headed to Ouray, CO with the JL in a couple weeks.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@RCC1 See above

Also:

Trees Ranch out West of Kerrville is badass. I've only covered about 1/3 of that park so far. Hoping to go again this fall.

Green Acres in Clayton, OK is pretty badass. Its super hardcore as well. I wouldn't go there on anything less than 37's. (But really 40's)

I have an LJ on tons and 43" stickies and a JLUR on 38's that we take on easy trips (HF).

Headed to Ouray, CO with the JL in a couple weeks.

View Quote

@Jeepinjoe17

Thanks for the input.

I am currently building a JT and making the list of places to go.

JT Build list-

Evo long arm conversion
Evo coilover conversion
UD60's front and rear(5.38's and E lockers)
KMC beadlocks
40" Nitto Trail grapplers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only been to Barnwell Mountain. It's very well maintained and well run, with a good mix of easy and hard stuff that is pretty well marked. When on the trail, we were pretty much alone except for passing a few people here and there.

They have a bunch of camp sites, lodges and RV spots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Jeepinjoe17

Thanks for the input.

I am currently building a JT and making the list of places to go.

JT Build list-

Evo long arm conversion
Evo coilover conversion
UD60's front and rear(5.38's and E lockers)
KMC beadlocks
40" Nitto Trail grapplers.
View Quote
@RCC1 You're welcome. That is going to be a great setup for Texas wheeling, plus you'll have room for a good sized beer cooler! I'd recommend starting at HF or Barnwell. They have everything from graded dirt(park) roads to stuff that you can flip over backwards on (not recommended!) and everything in between.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're on Facebook, check out the Texas Overland group. They have a "files" section which is likely to have maps, routes(including GPS files for apps like Gaia), and tips for those areas. And of course the group is usually quick to respond if you have questions. Or at least they were - I haven't been doing much Facebook lately.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you're on Facebook, check out the Texas Overland group. They have a "files" section which is likely to have maps, routes(including GPS files for apps like Gaia), and tips for those areas. And of course the group is usually quick to respond if you have questions. Or at least they were - I haven't been doing much Facebook lately.
View Quote

I have already joined there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#10]
The old Katemcy Rocks was great.  I believe that the location was changed.  Same area so nearly the same terrain though.  I haven't been to the new location.  It had a WIDE variety of trails to choose.  The new one looks good though and I would recommend that one.

Twin Buttes(San Angelo)  I also haven't been in a loooong time, but it was fairly mild compared to Katemcy.

I have heard that hidden falls is decent, but from what I have been told, not as many rock obstacles and those are what make four wheeling fun!

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just bought this thing. I put 35s on it. I'm regearing to 4.88s next week.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124978/Jeep1-2022995.jpg
View Quote

Looks great.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just bought this thing. I put 35s on it. I'm regearing to 4.88s next week.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124978/Jeep1-2022995.jpg
View Quote

Nice. If you would, let us know who you're having do the gegear and ballpark cost (part brands would be nice too)

Got a JLUR that we'll probably want to bump to 4.56's when we go 37's
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Of the ones you mentioned, I’ve only been to Barnwell and Katemcy. I’ve enjoyed both of those. Barnwell seems to have more of a mix of both easy and hard trails while Katemcy’s trails were mostly difficult rock crawls.

I really want to check out Escondido and Hidden Falls.

There’s also Bridgeport, which has a decent mix of both easy and hard trails, Hot Springs OHV in Hot Springs, AR, and the Santa Fe National Forest in New Mexico, which is just a tad further to me than Big Bend.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Been to bridgeport, barnwell, and hidden falls three times.

Excellent parks, all of them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been to bridgeport, barnwell, and hidden falls three times.

Excellent parks, all of them.
View Quote

I have only seen a few videos on Bridgeport. Is it mostly dirt and mud?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Bridgeport is a converted quarry so theres tons of pits filled with water, and some mud.

There are spots where you can really get in over your head. Ive had water over the hood unexpectedly in the JK.

Common sense rules apply. Dont drive in water just eyeballing it like my dumb ass. Fortunately theres plenty of folks with throwaway money you can watch fording, and judge for yourself how deep the water is.

I reccomend placing it on your list.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bridgeport is a converted quarry so theres tons of pits filled with water, and some mud.

There are spots where you can really get in over your head. Ive had water over the hood unexpectedly in the JK.

Common sense rules apply. Dont drive in water just eyeballing it like my dumb ass. Fortunately theres plenty of folks with throwaway money you can watch fording, and judge for yourself how deep the water is.

I reccomend placing it on your list.

View Quote
The problem with water at Bridgeport isn't just the depth. People also throw in logs, boulders, etc. Use caution.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is relevant to my interest.

I’m in Abilene and I’ve been out to Twin Buttes and Hidden Falls.

Hidden Falls was much more impressive, but Twin Buttes is a lot more like a traditional OHV park.

Let me know if you’re interested in hitting some trails. I’m willing to drive quite a bit.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hidden Falls was much more impressive, but Twin Buttes is a lot more like a traditional OHV park.

Let me know if you’re interested in hitting some trails. I’m willing to drive quite a bit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75400/94DDF013-0EDB-4016-BC28-33578C22FA20-2004978.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75400/FBAC00BF-D869-4315-8046-41A7E199D6EE-2033952.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75400/39DCA5ED-419A-4211-A812-27EFFCDF5A18-2033953.jpg
View Quote

The wife and I are thinking about going to Hidden Falls labor weekend with our JL.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The wife and I are thinking about going to Hidden Falls labor weekend with our JL.
View Quote

Copperhead Creek range is in Hidden Falls. Worth bringing some guns with.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75400/94DDF013-0EDB-4016-BC28-33578C22FA20-2004978.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75400/FBAC00BF-D869-4315-8046-41A7E199D6EE-2033952.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75400/39DCA5ED-419A-4211-A812-27EFFCDF5A18-2033953.jpg

I could be in to that! I’ll probably try to reserve a spot in the “B-lot” for dispersed camping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top