Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2018 10:04:21 AM EDT
Is Ocean city still a friendly place to visit?

Planning on visiting Ocean city next year for the first time in probably 10 years now, Was wondering what has changed down there, whats the best time to go, and how can i find a nice, Not super expensive place to rent, condo or hotel?

I'd like to go when everything is still open, but avoid a lot of the tourists, which I am guessing is more of a weekend thing, during mid week shouldnt be too bad should it?

Also want to do some fishing down there and crabbing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
october thru april is best time

otherwise its full of rude tourists and not worth the time

chincoteague is a much better option
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay up above 130th street.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Packed full of gang bangers, thugs, and general idiots in the summer. I won't be going back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It isn’t to bad during the summer, but it is very congested. Rehobeth beach Delaware would be better if you were looking for a calmer atmosphere. It is just right above OC
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone seems to hate on OCMD like crazy but my wife and kids go there every summer and always have a blast.

There's lots for the kiddos to do and see and if you stay downtown everything is within walking distance. We like it a lot and stay about a downtown as it gets!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
We love o.c. and it is out second home. But this year has been the worst. Trash everywhere. We couldn't walk down the boardwalk with out having to kick trash out of the way. The space under the benches where full of bottles and cups. There are a lot of people that do not speak or refuse to speak English.  We where there in June and stayed on the boardwalk close to the inlet we watched lot of people getting arrested and the smell of pot was everywhere.  We watched a bunch of kids getting smart with local police and basically attack them then called the police racest because they got arrested.
Prices are way high now and almost not worth it.
We got a rental house for a week in kitty hawk n.c. just a week ago and it was lot cheeper then renting a 2 bedroom condo in ocean City.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, my family started running beach stands in OC back in 1972.  So you could say I've got a lot of history there. Two of my sons graduated from Worcester Prep, the third was pulled out when we moved to Florida.

The town has gone downhill in my opinion especially over the last decade.  What was once a nice family town, has been over run by the thug element from DC, PG County, Baltimore City, etc.  Stay off the boardwalk late night, it's a real shit show nowadays.  No way in hell I'd allow kids to run around like we use to back in the day.  Lots of fights, assaults, etc. especially downtown as stated above.  It got to the point were we had to get out, property values have suffered as a result.  I loved growing up in the town, but don't miss it one bit.  We found a little slice of small beach town in FL, and have no plans to go back.

Frankly, you'd be better off going north to Delaware beaches.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Class migration for vacations... OC used to be awesome then good, then okay... then absolute shit almost in 10 year spans

If you value your time and money get a nice rental in OBX. OC used to be a middle class delight. Now? Fuck no
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Class migration for vacations... OC used to be awesome then good, then okay... then absolute shit almost in 10 year spans

If you value your time and money get a nice rental in OBX. OC used to be a middle class delight. Now? Fuck no
View Quote
Agree ..I'm not impressed with OC , I would rather to go to OBX but I have never been there :)
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I went camping with a group in early September to Assateague Island which is about a 15 minute drive to OC.   We took our teenage kids to the boardwalk in OC on Saturday afternoon.  It was trailer trash central.  One of my friends called it the Fats and Tats show.  A lot different from when I was a teenager back in the 1970s.  We were gone before sunset.

Visit for a few hours during the day?  Sure it's entertainment.  Stay a week in OC?  No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a shame because it was "the" place back in the day. Never forget Senior Week 1987!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a shame because it was "the" place back in the day. Never forget Senior Week 1987!!!!
View Quote
I was there!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was there!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was there!
A bunch of us from Westminster High School stayed at The Commander(the old one) on 14th street. I was ripping up and down Coastal Highway in my black Chevelle. I miss that car.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Last time i was there was 1994. Never going back
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
We just got back.we go about 10 times a year. We live about 3.5 hours away.
Last year and starting this year the odor of pot is everywhere. People are smoking it on hotel balconies and even on the street and us getting worse every day. The boardwalk was full of trash just blowing around.  Prices have skyrocket  we ordered a medium pepronni and extra cheese pizza small salad and 2 20 oz sodas and with tip and delivery charge was $40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top