Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2018 8:14:47 AM EDT
Good morning all,
I'm curious if any one here is a member of OSA, I was hoping to get some insight on the club.
I currently shoot at the Hernando sportsmans club, but would like to possibly join OSA due to its proximity to my fiancee's home.
Any help or advice would greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Inimicalone.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a member way back, but I quit when they opened the indoor range downtown. The problem with the OSA was the typical problems with most outdoor ranges. You get old guys in there that sit down on a bench and shoot one round every 5 minutes then write in the log books while looking downrange through a spotting scope. They freak out if you want to go downrange and put up a fresh target. Obviously that's because they are reloaders or bullseye shooters and they are trying out different things to test most precise stuff. Combat or self defense shooters tend to shoot closer up (which they don't like) and want to change targets more often because they get covered with holes.

To each his own. I'm not saying they are right or wrong or anything like that. I'm just saying that outdoor ranges are not conducive to different shooter styles all having to "go cold" at the same time and the go hot at the same time.

Also when I was there they had no rifle range and they allowed way too many members so it was always crowded. When I first joined it was kinda exclusive and thus not as many people.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Xsentinel. If you like action shooting you should join us at Hernando Spoertsman club.
We have all flavors of matches and everyone is super cool to shoot with. I'll be shooting an action rifle match there next Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Buddy of mine drives up from Ocala to shoot at Gainesville Target Range with me.  Lots of recent improvements, 200 yard rifle, multiple 25 and 50 yard ranges, steel plate ranges & draw/fire ranges after you take a specific safety course, etc.  $250/y

Even on the $20/day day-"member" rates its a great facility for once in a while.  Lots of matches too
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a member at GTR, and one of the old guys that shoots slow and takes notes.   :)

You won't find me there on weekends though.  The other old guys and I are there on weekday mornings, early.   I have no problem with the range going cold though,
and am always accommodating to other shooter's needs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buddy of mine drives up from Ocala to shoot at Gainesville Target Range with me.  Lots of recent improvements, 200 yard rifle, multiple 25 and 50 yard ranges, steel plate ranges & draw/fire ranges after you take a specific safety course, etc.  $250/y

Even on the $20/day day-"member" rates its a great facility for once in a while.  Lots of matches too
View Quote
GTR has a 200 yard rifle? I have not been to a shoot in 1.5 years or so. Ii really liked the staff and the folks that were there were very nice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

GTR has a 200 yard rifle? I have not been to a shoot in 1.5 years or so. Ii really liked the staff and the folks that were there were very nice.
View Quote
Staff has pretty much all changed.  But yes, lots of expansion.  Rifle range expanded to 200 yards (and has a few poppers at the end), new steel range, new 25 yard pistol/shogun/rifle range, etc.

Glenn the guy that owns Lawful Defense has taken over.  Lots of expansion has happened, but it must've cost 'em because for teh first time in 5 years there hasn't been a deal on membership renewals for father's day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top