Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2018 1:24:33 PM EDT
Sorry.. Caps in the subject line for attention. They used to hold one of these every quarter or so over at manatee gun club in area 51.. Does anyone know when the next meet up is?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
There's been a lot of talk of not doing it anymore.  The new board of the club wanted us to have insurance coverage, higher fees as well I believe.  I think they are trying to work it out, maybe one the members who are in the "know" can chime in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate manatee gun club. I wish there was a forum member who would step up and let us shoot on their land.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you expect them to  host strangers onto their property in one post and spew hatred at them the next? Now, now, that's not nice, but your post count is showing so we understand. We really do.

I for one have been at many events at the property many times over the years and overall it has been good times and friendly folks all around. The last visit was in the middle of a time when there appeared to be a lot of internal upheaval in there organization. It is what often happens over time in most organizations over time. Petty bullshit, mixed with legitimate concerns, with added distractions of different opinions, some asshats and the next thing you know people are making accusations and choosing sides and picking fights and such. Kinda like a big ole dysfunctional "family". Sometimes they get worked out for the better....sometimes not.

The last I heard was that they were doing some "remodeling" and trying to work out the logistics of their policies moving forward. So if we would like to dip our toes in the water of getting together a group to spend a day out there someone might need to spearhead the effort of contacting someone out there and asking what the process may be to use "their place". You know, ask nicely and whatnot. It might even help if we had a member of the MGAC help as a "sponsor". There was Gentleman on hear a few months ago that was a member and he was responding in a thread with some level headed information, and thoughts as to how things were progressing.

Our previous organizers, Dave and Mick, swore to never stick their necks out again to put one of these gigs together again. Both of them are old and not real bright, so maybe one or both of them would step up and offer the help again. Or at least assist, if someone else wanted to take the lead.

@4719Dave
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate manatee gun club. I wish there was a forum member who would step up and let us shoot on their land.
View Quote
edit
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I was wondering about this as well. They were a LOT of fun. They have been reworking the layout....I believe making Area 51 truly parallel with the other lanes. The last shoot was a cluster f**k mainly due (I feel) to poor planning and judgement on the part of the range, but we were the scapegoat. Mick, Dave and Will ran a tight ship and I hope they can help arrange another shoot, though I can see why they'd be wary.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to one, and though I was not there all day. everything was done by the book on safety and having a good time while I was there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok this old guys out to much bull shit .. its a shame i miss everyone getting together . Wont even start to discuss that cluster at the las shoot DONT ASK !!! Sorry guys would love to have a get together but less and less guys show up so range fees were climimg so ..
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#9]
That would be cool pictures would even be better !! Would be nice if you can.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, you expect them to  host strangers onto their property in one post and spew hatred at them the next? Now, now, that's not nice, but your post count is showing so we understand. We really do.

I for one have been at many events at the property many times over the years and overall it has been good times and friendly folks all around. The last visit was in the middle of a time when there appeared to be a lot of internal upheaval in there organization. It is what often happens over time in most organizations over time. Petty bullshit, mixed with legitimate concerns, with added distractions of different opinions, some asshats and the next thing you know people are making accusations and choosing sides and picking fights and such. Kinda like a big ole dysfunctional "family". Sometimes they get worked out for the better....sometimes not.

The last I heard was that they were doing some "remodeling" and trying to work out the logistics of their policies moving forward. So if we would like to dip our toes in the water of getting together a group to spend a day out there someone might need to spearhead the effort of contacting someone out there and asking what the process may be to use "their place". You know, ask nicely and whatnot. It might even help if we had a member of the MGAC help as a "sponsor". There was Gentleman on hear a few months ago that was a member and he was responding in a thread with some level headed information, and thoughts as to how things were progressing.

Our previous organizers, Dave and Mick, swore to never stick their necks out again to put one of these gigs together again. Both of them are old and not real bright, so maybe one or both of them would step up and offer the help again. Or at least assist, if someone else wanted to take the lead.

@4719Dave
View Quote
Really? Nice way to insult the two guys who put this together for us in the past.  Thought they did a good job.  With the new regime in place, that is where it went to shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Osprey! Looking forward to a report!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really? Nice way to insult the two guys who put this together for us in the past.  Thought they did a good job.  With the new regime in place, that is where it went to shit.  
View Quote
Sarcasm meter adjustment required.

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I recant my statement then.  It was hard to tell if you were being sarcastic or not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Ya mick thought the same i did too and then thought thats not jeff at all .
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
How about the Ares range in Leesburg? Thy just hosted an NFA shoot, so they have the space for a large group, and Leesburg is still pretty central.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The "Dave" being mentioned.  Someone who knows, can you PM his last name?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry Dave! My point was that you would have to be crazy(or old and not very bright) to take on that  headache again...... but I hope that you would!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The 200 meter range at Hernando Sportsmen's Club is open to the general public on the 4 th Saturday of every month.  They have stopped the use of tannerite.  The guy that runs the show that day is probably one of their best ROs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just got back from Manatee Gun Club and it's not looking good for any future shoots.

1)  They are now requiring a One Million dollar liability insurance policy.
2)  $500 minimum range rental fee (price goes up from there depending on the type of event) for Area 51.
3)  One (1) club supplied RSO for every 15 persons in attendance.
4)  No steel of any kind (plates, fire extinguishers, etc...). Period.
5)  No Tannerite - Period.

Yeah it sucks, but, (and I hate this saying) it is what it is....

Also (FWIW) the new non-member range fee is now $27.00 per day.

https://i.imgur.com/vAyWTVG.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/tu13tpY.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/mCvfYlG.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/iV0ygzd.jpg?1
View Quote
Thanks for the report Chris
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Do they host Appleseed shoots there ?   Where would one get that kind of liability insurance ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow. Well, we had heard all of the stipulations were "rumored" to be put in place after the large internal dust up the club had suffered. I thought that maybe after the dust had settled, calmer heads would prevail. I was always suspicious of the repeated "magic ricochets"  and complaints at the last shoot. I think we were just plain ole not welcome anymore.

so what "group" could be out there with access to that type of insurance?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]
If y'all ever get something organized I'm in.
Subbed.

Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow. Well, we had heard all of the stipulations were "rumored" to be put in place after the large internal dust up the club had suffered. I thought that maybe after the dust had settled, calmer heads would prevail. I was always suspicious of the repeated "magic ricochets"  and complaints at the last shoot. I think we were just plain ole not welcome anymore.

so what "group" could be out there with access to that type of insurance?
View Quote
The only "group" that comes to mind is 3 gun completion or the likes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Chatted with a neighbor who’s a member today and he confirmed price increases. Even mentioned they might get rid of 1000 yard range. He’s really pissed and disgusted with the place, feeling they’re burning bridges left and right.

I’ve been out there for 3 Area 51 shoots and we could hear rounds zipping overhead at least once every time when our line was cold. But, hey, make it more complex and expensive for us.

I’d be willing to pay more for an outing like we’ve done in the past, but I think they’re just determined to be dicks about it. No steel? No thanks....
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sorry to hear the changes At MGC. I thought things were supposed to get better at MGC..... I'm interested, if we can find a place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chatted with a neighbor who's a member today and he confirmed price increases. Even mentioned they might get rid of 1000 yard range. He's really pissed and disgusted with the place, feeling they're burning bridges left and right.

I've been out there for 3 Area 51 shoots and we could hear rounds zipping overhead at least once every time when our line was cold. But, hey, make it more complex and expensive for us.

I'd be willing to pay more for an outing like we've done in the past, but I think they're just determined to be dicks about it. No steel? No thanks....
View Quote
The 1000 yard range has been gone since last year.  I'm friends with several members of the board and competition committee and keep fairly up to date on the latest info and scuttlebutt.  I'm also in their ear trying to soften the path to improvements that might help club members and not just the public line-which is the club's biggest revenue source.  The 1000 yard range isn't likely to come back in the foreseeable future, if at all.  A large and expensive skeet range is in the works since that discipline actually draws a ton of money.  It used to be that Manatee was driven by the Bench Rest (BR) crowd, but now even they are finding it difficult to keep what they have.  This also affects the F-Class crowd<--me.    The Skeet range and 3-Gun crowd have good traction at the moment and "Manatee Precision", the PRS style group, finally got approval to host competitions.  They're taking the back range starting in June on the days F-Class would normally use it.  (F-Class season ends, PRS picks up those days until F-Class starts back up in the Fall)

Rounds going over the berm is not some BS claim.  I compete there and more than a few times have had rounds from the public mainline come over the berm/ricochet and impact near us.  It got to the point that we took cover behind one of the structures and our cars.  We haven't noticed it since the berms were enlarged, but have been witness to some knuckleheads that somehow manage to flirt with shooting over the new berm at 300 yards-with a .50 no less.

We were very close to losing the club all together for safety reasons.  Most people don't realize that.  The new "safety" requirements like higher berms, qualifying for anything beyond 300, and restricted shoots are a direct result of county pressure for noise and safety.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 1000 yard range has been gone since last year.  I'm friends with several members of the board and competition committee and keep fairly up to date on the latest info and scuttlebutt.  I'm also in their ear trying to soften the path to improvements that might help club members and not just the public line-which is the club's biggest revenue source.  The 1000 yard range isn't likely to come back in the foreseeable future, if at all.  A large and expensive skeet range is in the works since that discipline actually draws a ton of money.  It used to be that Manatee was driven by the Bench Rest (BR) crowd, but now even they are finding it difficult to keep what they have.  This also affects the F-Class crowd<--me.    The Skeet range and 3-Gun crowd have good traction at the moment and "Manatee Precision", the PRS style group, finally got approval to host competitions.  They're taking the back range starting in June on the days F-Class would normally use it.  (F-Class season ends, PRS picks up those days until F-Class starts back up in the Fall)

Rounds going over the berm is not some BS claim.  I compete there and more than a few times have had rounds from the public mainline come over the berm/ricochet and impact near us.  It got to the point that we took cover behind one of the structures and our cars.  We haven't noticed it since the berms were enlarged, but have been witness to some knuckleheads that somehow manage to flirt with shooting over the new berm at 300 yards-with a .50 no less.

We were very close to losing the club all together for safety reasons.  Most people don't realize that.  The new "safety" requirements like higher berms, qualifying for anything beyond 300, and restricted shoots are a direct result of county pressure for noise and safety.
View Quote
What about the $1,000,000 insurance policy requirement.  How many groups have that coverage?  Are they implementing that to get rid of groups like us?  I am all for safety and making sure rules are followed as well, but that is nuts to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I have not been in a little over a year. Sounds like BIG changes, and not necessarily for the better.

What does the 300 yard qual look like? Once upon a time, I would take new shooters there and have them shooting and making hits at 600 by the end of the day. Sounds like that may not be possible anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have not been in a little over a year. Sounds like BIG changes, and not necessarily for the better.

What does the 300 yard qual look like? Once upon a time, I would take new shooters there and have them shooting and making hits at 600 by the end of the day. Sounds like that may not be possible anymore.
View Quote
I don't know what it currently looks like, but I had to shoot a target at 300 yards and the group (5 shot) had to be 6" or less.  Not at all hard.  It's mainly used to prevent Bubba from launching rounds over the berm.  The "qual" was only good for the shooter, rifle, optics, caliber combo you used to attain the 5 shot group.  In theory if you changed anything about the setup you had to redo the qual.  I, along with every other High Power/F-Class/BR shooter/competitor had to do it.  It irritated more than a few that get better groups at 300 with iron sights than most people do with the latest and greatest rifle setups.

But you can still go there, shoot the qual, and head back to the 600 yard range.

Put yourself in their shoes and I can agree with some of the changes.  The ultimatum was to prevent rounds from going off property or else.  The or else was getting the range shut down for good.  Some of the other changes are for the good of the club's future while it may have irritated or down right piss people off.

As far as the insurance requirement, I have no idea how that works for club originated matches/events versus a group that rents the range for the day.  I don't think it has anything to do with trying to stop groups from rent/shooting.  But it will make you think twice about your activities if you're personally liable for your actions while there.  The club simply can own up (liability wise or financially) for the actions of a "single serving" group.  If you have to personally pay for the insurance (as a group) you're more likely to give a damn about the activities and consequences of something going wrong.  I used to help organize off-road events on private land and it was the same thing.  We had to get "event insurance" to cover ourselves and the land owner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been a member for  12 years
Not renewing

Do not understand where they are going

Membership cap in place for I think 700
Double membership dues
Up non member fees

Poor venue and facility for my discipline
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]
What about Desoto Gun Club in Arcadia, is that an option? I believe that is an even smaller property than MGC.
Knights Trail in Osprey is a nice facility, but run by Sarasota County so very restrictive, and so not that fun. If you
fire three rounds in succession a range officer, reprimands you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I went about 3 months ago and it was in rough shape then which I assumed was still from the hurricane.Looking at the above photo I see that not much has changed since the last time.They barely had the berms in place and it was a muddy mess filled with uncut grass the day I went.Personally for an hour+drive and $30 I don't have much need to go back since the 1k closed.  The alamo has been hosting open shoots out at altair and hollywood gun club for the last couple months that go out further.Much nicer facilities and its about the same price to shoot.

just goes to show you that anytime a "board of directors" or an "HOA" is involved they can ruin anything.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Funny thing million dollar insurance deal now  !!! Was told that was bull shit on hereby someone who delt with stuff there after the bull shit from the last shoot ,, some how its true now .. well its there house and my finnnnn boots will never touch the ground there again  sad .. safety was 1st on the list every time if not you were asked or told to leave ,,, well it was fun any one finds a place im in to shoot
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been a member for 15 years.  Worked as a range officer for three years.

My membership is good until next February.  I will not be renewing the membership and I am sure not going to pay $27 a day to shoot.

The recent changes in cost was like the last straw.  It is not that I can't afford it but the range is simply not fun anymore like it use to be.  I would be paying for things I wouldn't be using.

Too crowded most of the time.  Unless you go out really early there are people on both sides of you shooting.   Far to drive.  The new management is going hog wild.  Having to be certified to shoot distance when I have been shooting out there for over a decade was shitty.

I wish the range well.  There are other places to shoot so I won't be a part of it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread made me sad.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This thread made me sad.
View Quote
Me also. I made to several FSN and AR15.com shoots there. Lots of fun and safety was everyones first concern.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This thread made me sad.
View Quote
Ditto. The shoots were great fun, safe and well controlled. I keep hoping I'll check back to this thread and see a new shoot planned somewhere....
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#40]
What are some things you all would like to see done at the Range?

I think a lot of people got used to a Wild West atmosphere and appreciated big boy rules. I did.

Unfortunately, it isn’t the 90s anymore. You need a berm behind every target or you risk ricochets, skipped rounds off the ground, etc. Upset because you can’t shoot at fire extinguishers? What other ranges let you shoot at fire extinguishers? Steel is banned at Area 51 because yahoos like to just rest it against the berm at an upward angle. The $1M insurance policy is something I am fighting. I do not agree with it.

I miss the old days - a lot, but the county was close to shutting the Range down. Rounds were absolutely escaping the property and when you’ve got everyone on the main line having access to 600yd (and some 1000) targets it’s a recipe for disaster with Malik and Bubba trying out their new guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I never saw it as a Wild West thing. We hung our steel properly. I never shot fire extinguishers
but they are aluminum and are plenty safe to shoot at. The proper use of baffles and berm heights
can stop most rounds from leaving the range. The novelty of this range was being able to shoot MG's, steel
and tanerite. All people were safe every time I was shooting there.

I never understood having ranges beside each other and people down range at one when there was live fire going on at the range next to it. On a couple of occasions I heard rounds going overhead from ranges to the right when I was was putting up targets at A51.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I never saw steel resting against the berm. Our ROs made sure we put steel back close to the berm, but it had to be supported and paper targets on stands in between the bench and berm not too high to make sure rounds stay in the berm and no ground targets. Full auto directed solely in an area off to the side as directed by the actual range ROs. I'm VERY wary of idiots with guns, and always felt extremely safe and comfortable at the A51 shoots.
Tannerite and fire extinguishers would be great, but I can see why a range is wary of them and not having them is no huge loss to me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Just an FYI, I talked with a few folks on the board/comp committee and they did mention that "Manatee Precision" had to secure their own insurance for the events.  They didn't know the exact number but thought it was around $300.  I don't know if that was for each individual monthly event or the "season".

I will say that even "club" events have to charge individual competitors to give the club their dues for using the range.  So as a competitor, we pay
(exact amounts I don't know, but this is an example) $25 for the comp.  $15 goes to the club, $10 goes to the match directors to supply the materials for the match (paper targets, target stands, etc).

I'd say that if you really want to host an event there, someone will just have to step up and do the leg work to at least figure out the costs associated and of course someone will have to do all of the actual work to setup whatever it is you want d0one back there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Having shot at MGC since the Lena Road days it saddens me to have to say this but, I'm done with MGC.
View Quote
$27.OO a day? Wow.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#45]
can confirm all of this. went last Friday and there only 10 people shooting on the line where as in the past before the changes this place would be full. I wont be renewing my membership, been a member since 2009. its literally like they don't want anyone using the full auto range or the long range. btw u have to qualify to shoot from 100-300 and 300 to 600 per rifle. Kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#46]
This whole thing almost seems like a plot made by an antigunner. Close down the ranges
and we will have no place to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:20:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#48]
NVM
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup, they seem to think they are so much smarter than us simpletons - the ones who pay to keep the place open. Run off the customer base and then cry about the place going under? Wow, who would have thunk it......
View Quote
Is this part accurate?  A few months ago I had heard talk of capping the the number of annual memberships.  At the time, I thought that was a silly idea.  Lately, that talk has gone away.  Is the membership dwindling?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top