Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2020 5:59:51 PM EDT
My wife and I did 4 miles today, just walking the road up the hill from the house.  I wore 65lbs and she only wore about 20.  We just barely managed to finish with a 3mph average, but it was a hustle down the hill back to the house to make it.  We did just under 600' of elevation gain in the 2 miles.

Anybody else getting out?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still recovering from a nasty sinus infection that turned into a cold/cough... otherwise I would have been out scouting for rockchucks today. Instead, I am shopping for a Glock 19 MOS and/or a Turbo K... from home. I might venture out here in a bit, maybe even drive down to Gallensons to see what they have for Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still recovering from a nasty sinus infection that turned into a cold/cough... otherwise I would have been out scouting for rockchucks today. Instead, I am shopping for a Glock 19 MOS and/or a Turbo K... from home. I might venture out here in a bit, maybe even drive down to Gallensons to see what they have for Glocks.
View Quote
I love Gallensons.  I've purchased 7 shotguns from them over the years, great shop that almost never has a retard behind the counter.  The old cowboy guy a few years ago was questionable.

I just bought a new CZ SP-01 last week.  It's nice, first DA/SA I've had in a very long time.  I think I talked the wife into going to shoot my Creedmoor with me.  I tried to shoot it in Price last week and after a few shots offhand my elbow was hurting, I may have actually done something bad to it because it's been hurting quite a bit since then.  So no more offhand for a while at least.  The doc said retards like me have a tendency to do too much too soon and re-injure it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Gallensons is a pretty good shop. Prices are usually very fair, and occasionally you can find a real decent deal there. The only thing that sucks is dealing with their parking arrangement... not intended to full size crew cab trucks. The graffiti is pretty cool these days! I hate parking on the street. I hate SLC in general, but venture down there semi-often.

I still need to visit the Price area and go visit the range down there... it looks and sounds awesome from everything I have seen about it. I'm not a long range guy, but I can hold my own with basic gear out to 500 or so. We had planned to visit Goblin Valley this spring with the kids, but camp spots got booked before I could reserve them. I wanted to stop by then. Maybe in the fall, if I don't draw the limited entry elk tag I put in for.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife and I did 4 miles today, just walking the road up the hill from the house.  I wore 65lbs and she only wore about 20.  We just barely managed to finish with a 3mph average, but it was a hustle down the hill back to the house to make it.  We did just under 600' of elevation gain in the 2 miles.

Anybody else getting out?
View Quote
What kind of pack do you use? I have been looking at packs but am not sure what kind to get. I used to use an Alice pack back in the day but my ex pitched it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Did a slow stroll along the Weber river Thursday, 6.6 mi with 55 lbs in a little under 2hrs. Be out again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Haven't done any hiking since the initial Battle Buddies meet up.

Have been hitting the treadmill at the gym at least twice a week (I go 4 times a week), averaging 4.5-5 MPH for 30-45 minutes at time.

I really need to get a framed pack, or maybe look at better loading of my current pack, but 35-45lbs is pretty much maxing that out.

I've been looking at surplus packs on Amazon/Ebay for anywhere from $65-$100, but if there's a local surplus shop that's competitive I'd rather be able to try one out before buying.

Of course I could go full retard and just grab an Eberlestock or Badlands and be done with it. Wife might not appreciate that too much though
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What kind of pack do you use? I have been looking at packs but am not sure what kind to get. I used to use an Alice pack back in the day but my ex pitched it.
View Quote
The one I’m using now is a freighter style external frame from Cabelas that I got years ago.  I’ve gone through a lot and I keep going back to external frames.  I also have an internal frame from Badlands that I kinda hate, even though it’s well reviewed.  There are some good packs on Amazon, I’ll get some links in a day or two.

Quoted:
Did a slow stroll along the Weber river Thursday, 6.6 mi with 55 lbs in a little under 2hrs. Be out again tomorrow.
View Quote
Nice.

Quoted:
Haven't done any hiking since the initial Battle Buddies meet up.

Have been hitting the treadmill at the gym at least twice a week (I go 4 times a week), averaging 4.5-5 MPH for 30-45 minutes at time.

I really need to get a framed pack, or maybe look at better loading of my current pack, but 35-45lbs is pretty much maxing that out.

I've been looking at surplus packs on Amazon/Ebay for anywhere from $65-$100, but if there's a local surplus shop that's competitive I'd rather be able to try one out before buying.

Of course I could go full retard and just grab an Eberlestock or Badlands and be done with it. Wife might not appreciate that too much though
View Quote
I had an Eberlestock that was stolen.  I don’t miss it one bit, we’ll made but HORRIBLY designed.  No compression, no load carrying support, no real pack design.  Just a fancy and expensive sack with straps.  I’ll bring my Badlands so you can learn to hate it too, that way you don’t buy it either. Let’s do a hike in a couple of weeks up in the SL County area and I’ll bring a few packs.

Honestly the Alice packs and plastic frames look better than a lot of the big name fancy crap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't done anything since we went to price.  Kids got colds and the baby got rsv so I've been busy dealing with that.  I'm gonna try my malice pack I put together and haven't used yet probably sometime this week.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I am busy most weekends until May but I'd love to make it out.

ETA: I'll usually throw my low-pro plate carrier under my jacket and take the dogs for a couple miles a day. Nothing major, but it's better than nothing.

Oh, and I still lift
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Most comfortable pack I have ever used is Mystery Ranch with the Nice Frame. Some of them are still made in Bozeman Montana if I recall. The designer was also a cool, pro-gun guy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
No hiking but have been doing some shooting, twice already this week.  I need to get the mountain bike out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to hit Yellow Fork Canyon in the next week or two.  A friend has been hiking it and it looks beautiful.
View Quote

I used to live in Hi Country Estates, just one canyon north of Yellow Fork.  It's a great place...  Or was 25 years ago.  I haven't been there in a long time.

Ticks are out.  I had two last week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
How's it going Utah folk?  

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top