Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2020 3:32:17 PM EDT
ETA: 2/17/20

Please post to the GD thread, and we'll let this one die.  It looks like all the Battle Buddy/Pioneer Corps threads are in GD.

Appalachian Hiking Club - GD main thread
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds fun!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds fun!
View Quote
Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, it will be!

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Shot Tower is a damn fine part of history!  All patriots should be aware of its deep importance in the Revolutionary War.  A fantasticaly appropriate place to begin a Freedom Hike!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some motivational music!

Disturbed - Indestructible [Official Music Video]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Possibly in...
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Assuming I don’t have to work, I will tentatively say I can make it. For clarification: No long guns, but openly carried handguns with a permit are ok? LBE and/or Rucks optional? More of a social hike to get to know everyone? Might bring some immediate family if that’s ok.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]
bumparoni

ETA I like the Swap meet idea too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Assuming I don’t have to work, I will tentatively say I can make it. For clarification: No long guns, but openly carried handguns with a permit are ok? LBE and/or Rucks optional? More of a social hike to get to know everyone? Yes, but if you want to meet a BB qual then we will witness it for you.  Might bring some immediate family if that’s ok. That is more than okay, bring EVERYONE.
View Quote
VA code on carrying openly in public  

"§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in §§ 18.2-308 and 18.2-308.016 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813; 2016, c. 257."

ETA:  Another great resource is VCDL's website - Click here
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

VA code on carrying openly in public  

"§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in §§ 18.2-308 and 18.2-308.016 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813; 2016, c. 257."

ETA:  Another great resource is VCDL's website - Click here
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for that information. Just two more questions and I'll shut up. Would it be possible for me to wear a ruck to qualify for Provisional for the 3 miles out and have that witnessed, and then give the ruck to someone else and let them qualify on the return trip? Also, so as to know what weight to load up,    does the leadership want rifles there? Don't want to show up with one if it's not wanted or if no one else is bringing one...
For headcount, as of now it'll be myself and 3 others, with 2 wishing to qualify for Provisional.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for that information. Just two more questions and I'll shut up. Would it be possible for me to wear a ruck to qualify for Provisional for the 3 miles out and have that witnessed, and then give the ruck to someone else and let them qualify on the return trip? Also, so as to know what weight to load up,    does the leadership want rifles there? Don't want to show up with one if it's not wanted or if no one else is bringing one...
For headcount, as of now it'll be myself and 3 others, with 2 wishing to qualify for Provisional.

Thanks,
View Quote
Glad to hear it!  I'm speaking for myself here, so in regards to openly carrying rifles/pistols as long as you are within the confines of the current laws I welcome it.  I would suggest though that all rifles be carried chamber empty/flagged and with a sling, and obviously all pistols will be properly holstered.

We're all just getting to know one another and it will take some time to observe what we are and are not individually capable of.  We're in this together and I'm sure deficiencies will get worked out.

I would imagine the Provisional qualification process you just mentioned would be good to go, as long as it meets the standards laid out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't going to carry a rifle or be in armor, just a backpack full of 45# of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
off to dig out some weights....
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Brothers, I got tickets for Ralph Stanley II and The Clinch Mountain Boys on Sunday.

This IS a bucket list item for me.

That being said, I'll down a few good whiskys for ya!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Shot Tower is a damn fine part of history!  All patriots should be aware of its deep importance in the Revolutionary War.  A fantasticaly appropriate place to begin a Freedom Hike!
View Quote
This one?

ETA-That’s my 4Runner in the pic for height reference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#19]
This sounds good, but a 3+ hour drive. If there was one around Roanoke I could swing it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I won't be able to make this one.  Too much going on at the business.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like we’ll be blessed with decent weather tomorrow.  See you there!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got a date coming up, it's Sunday or Monday (I warned you guys about Valentine's Weekend!)

If it's Monday, I will show and do the qualifier Sunday.

If she says Sunday, I'm boned.
View Quote
Um, what you said there...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#25]
We are at the park... assuming it's the right shot tower... the round one? Near the caboose?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top