Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2018 8:03:19 AM EDT
Marquette County- private land

Saw fresh tracks walking in and nice buck on the drive to the land.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck everyone!

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing  yet. Average shooting around the area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Marquette here too. Saw a good sized doe and a yearling right before shooting hours.

OP are you wearing a like green hat by chance?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marquette here too. Saw a good sized doe and a yearling right before shooting hours.

OP are you wearing a like green hat by chance?
View Quote
No green hat for me.   I've seen 9 so far
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Marinette county was slow. Seen 1 buck moving fast this morning...no shot. Came back to the house for the AR and hitting the woods on foot till 3 or so.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Still nothing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL... set up a ground blind where we had one for bear season in September. Nicolet National Forest. 2 hunting buddies & I cleared back the overgrowth intruding into the roadway last summer, for about 3/4 mile, with a cordless sawzall & cordless hedge trimmer... so pickup trucks wouldn't get "northwoods pinstriping" going in there for bear season. I fucked up... should've left it just wide enough for my Jeep TJ. A couple of fancy new full sized trucks (one a black F150) came in there this morning, and the woods had flashlights everywhere at 6am. They would've been scratched to fuck if I'd left the brush along the road alone. I guessed I had 4 guys at least, maybe 6, set up within 150 yards of my blind.

I won't make that fucking mistake next year, no more brush trimming along the road. Fuck em. I was in there last deer season before I trimmed, and saw no one. I am a DUMBASS.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Had one just fly near me. Jumping through the dead fall behing clumps of trees where I couldnt take a shot. Although I'm not real interested to hear what a braked rifle is gonna sound like fired in a blind.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Had one just fly near me. Jumping through the dead fall behing clumps of trees where I couldnt take a shot. Although I'm not real interested to hear what a braked rifle is gonna sound like fired in a blind.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14202/1117181347-742159.jpg
View Quote
You need to get one of those muffler thingys that hangs off the end
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I ended up seeing 27 deer total with 4 bucks. Didnt shoot anything.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Adams county saw 7, shot a decent doe just before sunset. 45/70 at 20 yards does the job!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Dodge County. Saw what I assume was a fawn bounding through the corn at about 2PM.  Usually see about a half dozen deer. Hopefully it gets better.

Heard a lot more shotguns this year though, which I thought was interesting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#13]
It is freaking cold this morning in Door County. I’m sitting on the tree line on the east end of an 80 acre corn field and the wind is out of the west blowing at 87 bazillion MPH.  At this rate, I may need to change the propane cylinder before lunch.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Vilas county skunked again. Any deer spotted were by homes on the way to the public land. Still wondering why I go there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL... set up a ground blind where we had one for bear season in September. Nicolet National Forest. 2 hunting buddies & I cleared back the overgrowth intruding into the roadway last summer, for about 3/4 mile, with a cordless sawzall & cordless hedge trimmer... so pickup trucks wouldn't get "northwoods pinstriping" going in there for bear season. I fucked up... should've left it just wide enough for my Jeep TJ. A couple of fancy new full sized trucks (one a black F150) came in there this morning, and the woods had flashlights everywhere at 6am. They would've been scratched to fuck if I'd left the brush along the road alone. I guessed I had 4 guys at least, maybe 6, set up within 150 yards of my blind.

I won't make that fucking mistake next year, no more brush trimming along the road. Fuck em. I was in there last deer season before I trimmed, and saw no one. I am a DUMBASS.
View Quote
That sucks man. Yeah, i'd start clearing a few yards in from the road, just far enough back so it's not super obvious when you drive by.

Also, what's northwoods pinstriping?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Rock county here, shot a nice little basket rack 7 point @ 0645 opening morning.  Got in the stand this am @0602, had two doe fawns below me by 0605.  Too dark to shoot even if I wanted to, not to mention that season didn't open until 0620 today.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That sucks man. Yeah, i'd start clearing a few yards in from the road, just far enough back so it's not super obvious when you drive by.

Also, what's northwoods pinstriping?
View Quote
It's actually a dirt, numbered, US Forest Service spur road. Not on the official DOT map so you can hunt right from the road. They just don't maintain the growth alongside it, and it's a dead end about 1 mile long. Only hunters use it. It's a spur off another road used as a snowmobile trail, so it's miles from a highway. Bear, deer, grouse, etc. Wolf pack lives thereabouts too.

Northwoods pinstriping is the horizontal scratches in your paint job made by the constant scraping of the brush as yoiu drive through it. Most of it can be buffed out, but not always. It can really do a number, if it's berry bushes with thorns, or you drive in & out enough times.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Northeast Kewaunee County.

Absolutely NOTHING within shooting distance of my blind.

BUT about a mile away, one of the guys in my group filled his buck tag and two doe tags within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Vilas county skunked again. Any deer spotted were by homes on the way to the public land. Still wondering why I go there.
View Quote
Like these? In my backyard, 3 miles from Eagle River.... taken 11/2/2018. Havent seen him since tuesday, 11/13.

Just maybe I'll get lucky and the photos will actually post this time. Photobucket wouldn't work here, maybe Flickr will...but I doubt it.

edit: LOL...didn't think so. Posting pictures here must be for paid members only.

edit #2: I changed the img to url bracketing... at least you can click on them and see them. Best I can do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162152455@N03/45907032662/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162152455@N03/45906858952/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162152455@N03/32085171968/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162152455@N03/45044136705/in/dateposted-public/

This is (below) the last picture I got of him. Sunday 11/11, as I was plowing my driveway. Took this one from my Jeep. He was maybe 20 yards in the woods. Look 10 yards behind the doe in front. Saw him once more, on Tuesday the 13th, but didnt get a picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162152455@N03/45907961452/in/dateposted-public/
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#20]
We did see a good number crossing roads from one residential area to another in the St Germain area but absolutely nothing in the woods.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We did see a good number crossing roads from one residential area to another in the St Germain area but absolutely nothing in the woods.
View Quote
St. Germain residential areas are loaded with deer. It's a "sanctuary", in part because a town ordinance prohibits all hunting in "subdivisions". I delivered mail there, part time as a sub, back in '93-'94. Was like that then, like that now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Northeast Kewaunee County.

Absolutely NOTHING within shooting distance of my blind.

BUT about a mile away, one of the guys in my group filled his buck tag and two doe tags within 24 hours.
View Quote
We're 2 for 6 guys in the Nicolet opening weekend. 6pt on Sat morning, spike mid-day yesterday.

Saturday afternoon about 3, I saw a small 6pt walk by my blind, let him pass. He gets 50 yards away...BOOM. Watched him fall. The son of a friend wasn't so picky.

If you're wondering, it was perfectly safe... he watched it walk past me, and he knew I wouldn't shoot it, so when it safely cleared my blind he took the shot from 75 yards across the valley (he was on one ridge, I was on the next one west).
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
St. Germain residential areas are loaded with deer. It's a "sanctuary", in part because a town ordinance prohibits all hunting in "subdivisions". I delivered mail there, part time as a sub, back in '93-'94. Was like that then, like that now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw my first antlers crossing the road in years. A fork crossed from McGregors to the Whitetail Inn.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Saw my first antlers crossing the road in years. A fork crossed from McGregors to the Whitetail Inn.
View Quote
Drive through the Holiday Estates subdivision if you want to see deer. When I delivered mail in there, they'd walk right up to my vehicle looking for treats. There's probably 50-100 deer living in there...mostly tame. It's predomonantly trailer homes, on 1-3 acre lots. Turn in off of 70 on Christmas Tree drive (across from grammar school) or on Holiday Drive (across from the hardware store & M-Bank).
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven’t been in through that area for years. Will check it out when I head back up in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I hunted public land in Florence County opening weekend, and saw three Saturday morning, but shot none. There and gone, before I could look for horns or raise up my rifle. I heard a decent amount of shooting (a few 10 round mag dumps too ), but didn't see many deer hanging..

Quoted:It's actually a dirt, numbered, US Forest Service spur road. Not on the official DOT map so you can hunt right from the road. They just don't maintain the growth alongside it, and it's a dead end about 1 mile long. Only hunters use it. It's a spur off another road used as a snowmobile trail, so it's miles from a highway.
View Quote
I've been meaning to make a post about this topic. It seems in the last 5 years or so, a lot of those roads in the Nicolet are no longer maintained at all. The 'main' ones still are, but the side ones seem to be forgotten about. Is there a reason for this? Most of the roads are blocked in some manner (gate, dirt mounds, boulders, etc) but used to be maintained so you could walk on them with no problem. Now they seem to be just letting those all grow back in. Grouse hunting is now more of a pain, bushwhacking through a forest instead of hiking out an old road. I would also assume those roads would have helped if emergency (fire/medical) vehicles would ever need to get back there. Does anyone know why? Is this a blatant thread hijack?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hunted public land in Florence County opening weekend, and saw three Saturday morning, but shot none. There and gone, before I could look for horns or raise up my rifle. I heard a decent amount of shooting (a few 10 round mag dumps too ), but didn't see many deer hanging..

I've been meaning to make a post about this topic. It seems in the last 5 years or so, a lot of those roads in the Nicolet are no longer maintained at all. The 'main' ones still are, but the side ones seem to be forgotten about. Is there a reason for this? Most of the roads are blocked in some manner (gate, dirt mounds, boulders, etc) but used to be maintained so you could walk on them with no problem. Now they seem to be just letting those all grow back in. Grouse hunting is now more of a pain, bushwhacking through a forest instead of hiking out an old road. I would also assume those roads would have helped if emergency (fire/medical) vehicles would ever need to get back there. Does anyone know why? Is this a blatant thread hijack?
View Quote
Why is two fold. Budget cuts, and treehuggers desire to "return to nature" - so if you're old or handicapped, you're not welcome there.

The only forest service roads I've seen any maintenance on around here (northwestern Nicolet in Vilas/Oneida/Forest) are either also township or county roads or snowmobile trails. The townships & counties maintain theirs (and these will have both a name, and a FS number), the snowmobile clubs keep the roads that are trails clear of downed trees and other obstructions just prior to and during snomo season...otherwise, they're left to nature until fall. There's no road grading etc. on the roads by the forest service. It's all about $$$$...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top