Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2021 11:10:23 AM EDT
Has anybody here successfully got rid of nutsedge? We have tried every over the counter treatment available.
The entire neighborhood has it. It has spread from lawn to lawn over the last 3 or 4 years.

ETA; purple nutsedge
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I spray with Ortho nutsedge killer (sulfentrazone).  It mostly works.  Should pick up something with halosulfuron though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I used Image
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I used both with no improvement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used both with no improvement.
View Quote
Did you add some dish soap to the image?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Sulfentrazone works best for me. I gave up on Image. Look at the concentrations on your label. Sometimes they only put enough sulfentrazone in it to show up on the label and you'd be better off getting drunk and pissing on the weeds.

https://www.domyown.com/sulfentrazone-4l-select-p-17100.html

If you have a lot of it, I'd go here and buy something like this.

It's also a multistep process. It's been a while, I had to sit through an hour and a half class on nutsedge one day for my license, but from what I can remember, you need two treatments in the fall, 30 days apart. You may be too late for the first one, but if you don't fuck around and get it done this week and the weather holds out, you might knock it out. Be prepared to treat again every year after that. The nuts can stay active in the ground up to 15 years.

Do not pull it, it leaves nuts in the ground and they just resprout.

If you want something that's really a bitch, I'm fighting fucking dayflower. Roundup with diquat will burn it a little bit. 2-4D, a little burn. I've tried some other stuff. I haven't tried MSMA, but I did use something called MSM. Seems to have taken a little vigor out of it, but not dead yet. I had some Remedy and diesel and spot sprayed some leftover just to see what it does, not much of a result so far.

I'm seeing if the MSM with the roundup diquat second punch will take it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, was that in the instructions?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sulfentrazone works best for me. I gave up on Image. Look at the concentrations on your label. Sometimes they only put enough sulfentrazone in it to show up on the label and you'd be better off getting drunk and pissing on the weeds.

https://www.domyown.com/sulfentrazone-4l-select-p-17100.html

If you have a lot of it, I'd go here and buy something like this.

It's also a multistep process. It's been a while, I had to sit through an hour and a half class on nutsedge one day for my license, but from what I can remember, you need two treatments in the fall, 30 days apart. You may be too late for the first one, but if you don't fuck around and get it done this week and the weather holds out, you might knock it out. Be prepared to treat again every year after that. The nuts can stay active in the ground up to 15 years.

Do not pull it, it leaves nuts in the ground and they just resprout.

If you want something that's really a bitch, I'm fighting fucking dayflower. Roundup with diquat will burn it a little bit. 2-4D, a little burn. I've tried some other stuff. I haven't tried MSMA, but I did use something called MSM. Seems to have taken a little vigor out of it, but not dead yet. I had some Remedy and diesel and spot sprayed some leftover just to see what it does, not much of a result so far.

I'm seeing if the MSM with the roundup diquat second punch will take it.

View Quote

That looks like some potent stuff. 4-12 ounces per acre per treatment. I am on 1/4 acre total, with less than half of that being grass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
2.5 gals w/ 3oz at max rate for a 1/4 acre.

Half that again, 1.25 gallons w/ 1.5oz for max rate on 1/8.

So you're not off by much to go 1oz/per gallon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had success with Panoramic 2SL or Plateau, same active ingredient, the trick is finding the ratio to mix with water/ac and not suppress the grass.

www.keystonepestsolutions.com/panoramic-2sl-herbicide-1-gallon-replaces-plateau-351#:~:text=Panoramic%20herbicide%20controls%20annual%20and%20perennial%20broadleaf%20weeds,Approximate%20use%20rate%3A%20varies%20per%20crop%2C%20see%20label.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2.5 gals w/ 3oz at max rate for a 1/4 acre.

Half that again, 1.25 gallons w/ 1.5oz for max rate on 1/8.

So you're not off by much to go 1oz/per gallon.
View Quote

Will that spray canister be good for anything else after that stuff is in it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I use separate sprayers for herbicides and pesticides. Never mix them. Use your herbicide sprayer for Roundup, 2-4D, weedkiller, pre-emergent, etc. Don't use it to spray bug killer on your roses after that. Buy a separate sprayer for that kind of stuff and only use it for that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use separate sprayers for herbicides and pesticides. Never mix them. Use your herbicide sprayer for Roundup, 2-4D, weedkiller, pre-emergent, etc. Don't use it to spray bug killer on your roses after that. Buy a separate sprayer for that kind of stuff and only use it for that.
View Quote

Thanks man. This has been a task.
On a positive note, we did get rid of all of the other weeds over the last couple of years...

ETA;Is that stuff ok on Bermuda and St. Augustin grass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks man. This has been a task.
On a positive note, we did get rid of all of the other weeds over the last couple of years...

ETA;Is that stuff ok on Bermuda and St. Augustin grass.
View Quote

Did you have Virginia buttonweed?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you have Virginia buttonweed?
View Quote

I don't know what that is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It used to say to add a surfactant....or dish soap.  I haven't used it in a few years but it killed all my nutgrass with a couple of treatments.  Weather needs to be warm and it takes about 6 weeks to kill it all out.  Apply, then reapply in about 3-4 weeks, as I recall.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Poanna is a real problem around here.  You can control it with a pre-emergent.  Or you can ruin your back pulling it.  It spreads very fast.

A healthy St Augustine turf controlled my nut sedge.  Contrary to common belief, St A will not grow in full shade.  I had to have by red oak and Chinese pistachio trimmed back this year because it was hard to get anything to grow under them.  The arborist took off quite a bit, but my yard has never looked better because my St A is now getting much more direct sunlight.  Also, I don't cut my grass as short as I used to.

The biggest problem we have is brown spot which is an endemic fungus.  You have to treat for it or it will kill a St Augustine yard.  We also have to be on the lookout for chinch bugs.  

Between Ramiro and CityTurf, my lawn is great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Poanna is a real problem around here.  You can control it with a pre-emergent.  Or you can ruin your back pulling it.  It spreads very fast.

A healthy St Augustine turf controlled my nut sedge.  Contrary to common belief, St A will not grow in full shade.  I had to have by red oak and Chinese pistachio trimmed back this year because it was hard to get anything to grow under them.  The arborist took off quite a bit, but my yard has never looked better because my St A is now getting much more direct sunlight.  Also, I don't cut my grass as short as I used to.

The biggest problem we have is brown spot which is an endemic fungus.  You have to treat for it or it will kill a St Augustine yard.  We also have to be on the lookout for chinch bugs.  

Between Ramiro and CityTurf, my lawn is great.
View Quote

We have very little nutsedge in the St. Augustin in the back yard. The front yard is Bermuda, and thick with nutsedge.

The chemicals are on the way!
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I swear there's poa seed in dog food. If you have dogs in the yard, you get poa. I need to treat my backyard for fleas and preemergent. I have all the stuff at work, it's just a pain in the ass. I spent 3 hours at work on Sunday just spraying all the little crap there that I need to take care of and I didn't even get it all. Mix that for this, mix this for that, etc. etc. Either that or 4 hours a week dragging a weedeater around.

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I am glad I clicked this thread.

The 6x4 patch of 'decorative grass' in my front flowerbed, which was there when we bought the house this spring (if not quite so thick), is.... yellow nutsedge. I just assumed it was 'monkeygrass' and left it alone.
Tore all that shit out and will just be militant about pulling any shoots for as long as it takes. I've only found scattered nutsedge shoots in the lawn itself.

Oh fun, I think I've also got po anna.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Fire.  Seriously just spread coals over it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top