Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 7:24:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
We have 2 going here.  Smoke is so bad I had to wear a mask while working.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard from someone that there was a new fire in Griffith Park, but I haven't seen anything on the news so far, just the two in Ventura and west LA Counties.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Paradise is lost...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If anyone in SoCal (L.A. Ventura) needs help, PM me and I'll do what I can. I'm home until tomorrow night, then back to work.
View Quote
A buddy of mine, his brother and his folks all lost their homes. Safes didn’t save their guns either, burned to hot for to long.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Found out a little while ago that some close relatives of a friend of mine lost everything in the fires in Ventura County.  One of the families had a daughter whose boyfriend was killed at the bar shooting (as was the boyfriend's best friend).  Talk about a double whammy for that girl.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a small (in comparison) fire near the LA Zoo.  30 acres or so?  Rough terrain but I believe out now.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Paradise is lost...
View Quote
Yep, a friend of mine has family up there, they lost everything but their clothes on their back and the cars that got them out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
We had a mandatory evacuation due to Woolsey fire Thursday. Last I heard 20 homes in area burned.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Paradise is lost...
View Quote
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?

Any word yet on causes?

I heard they were investigating PG&E for the fire up north.  How about the one in So Cal?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
We had just bought a house up on the ridge in June for my wife's teaching job.  Finally moved everything in and was getting my woodshop up and running.  I am still working in the Northwest remotely.

Barely got the wife, 3 year old and dog out.  Spent about an hour literally carrying disabled neighbors to their cars and wasn't willing to risk my daughter's life any longer.  We couldn't go down and had to go up and over the mountain.  Evacuation took six hours, then we kept on going back to Oregon.

Confirmed last night through LEO friends who went to my property and took pics for me.  100% loss.  My trusty Jeep and truck, all ammo and firearms, entire shop, and generations' worth of treasures gone.  Every toy and book and piece of art, all of the furniture my dad and I built, every gift ever received and everything we still owe debts on. The fire apparently took its time as there isn't much left to dig through.

We have three days' worth of clothes, one Wavian can, two Yaesu radios, 12 MREs, a case of water, and a few tools to get off the X.  Have fire coverage and working with USAA, but that is already working out to be not a pleasure if for no other reason than the circumstances.

The ham radios saved our lives when we were making decisions.  Never got an evacuation order and never saw a fire fighter or LEO in our neighborhood.  Not at all a dig - they were working their asses off in Paradise and we could hear their efforts and acts of courage over the radio.  Much respect to those folks.

Mostly grateful that I got my daughter out.  It was touch and go for a while.  But now we're definitely starting to feel the grief.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
WOW!, just wow!  My condolences on your life's loses.  Hug your wife and daughter and give them a kiss.  Tell them you love them most of all.  That is important.

It can happen anywhere.  I live on a wooded hillside in the city but it can happen here, too, if it gets going.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We had just bought a house up on the ridge in June for my wife's teaching job.  Finally moved everything in and was getting my woodshop up and running.  I am still working in the Northwest remotely.

Barely got the wife, 3 year old and dog out.  Spent about an hour literally carrying disabled neighbors to their cars and wasn't willing to risk my daughter's life any longer.  We couldn't go down and had to go up and over the mountain.  Evacuation took six hours, then we kept on going back to Oregon.

Confirmed last night through LEO friends who went to my property and took pics for me.  100% loss.  My trusty Jeep and truck, all ammo and firearms, entire shop, and generations' worth of treasures gone.  Every toy and book and piece of art, all of the furniture my dad and I built, every gift ever received and everything we still owe debts on. The fire apparently took its time as there isn't much left to dig through.

We have three days' worth of clothes, one Wavian can, two Yaesu radios, 12 MREs, a case of water, and a few tools to get off the X.  Have fire coverage and working with USAA, but that is already working out to be not a pleasure if for no other reason than the circumstances.

The ham radios saved our lives when we were making decisions.  Never got an evacuation order and never saw a fire fighter or LEO in our neighborhood.  Not at all a dig - they were working their asses off in Paradise and we could hear their efforts and acts of courage over the radio.  Much respect to those folks.

Mostly grateful that I got my daughter out.  It was touch and go for a while.  But now we're definitely starting to feel the grief.
View Quote
Paradise, or up mountain?
My wife grew up up from desalba

Her parents had to take the upper route out after her dad snuck into Upper Paradise to rescue his disabled brother.
Her brother and uncle and other relatives lost everything, looks like her parents still have a house as of this morning.

Her brother lived in paradise, but is a deputy for Sutter ,
He’s been working on a joint agency team around paradise, you can tell how bad it is by his voice

Sorry to hear about your place,
Glad you got your family out in time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Another fire was started in Simi Valley (near the Woolsey fire).

To me, no other explanation makes sense except arson.

First the shooting, then a rash of fires.  Conspiracy, perhaps?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Conspiracy?  No.  I mean, I doubt it.  But as shit goes bad, craziness tends to amplify and build on itself and IMHO there's no place or time crazier than CA right now.  Not all fires are arson.  Arsonists are a special kind of crazy and I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact arson.  But I lean more to  opportunistic coincidence than conspiracy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Several of the bigger fires last year were deliberately set by drug crazed looney tunes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Paradise, or up mountain?
My wife grew up up from desalba

Her parents had to take the upper route out after her dad snuck into Upper Paradise to rescue his disabled brother.
Her brother and uncle and other relatives lost everything, looks like her parents still have a house as of this morning.

Her brother lived in paradise, but is a deputy for Sutter ,
He’s been working on a joint agency team around paradise, you can tell how bad it is by his voice

Sorry to hear about your place,
Glad you got your family out in time.
View Quote
Thanks, man.  Up above Paradise and it's definitely starting to sink in.

Your wife's family is in my thoughts and I am wishing them much strength.  I can understand and appreciate their strong roots in the area and feel for them.  I had only been a resident for a short time and have not been too hot on the move.  Was taking the happy wife, happy life approach, but I don't think either of us feel close enough to the area to be able to endure rebuilding there.

Right now we're back on the Oregon Coast and we're thinking that we'll work on getting back here for good again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Retards in this thread claiming the photos from the fire coming out are staged or photo shopped by the press and Gov Brown.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-2165174/?

Quoted:
I don’t disagree that fires do weird things, but there’s a very strong possibility that much of what is appearing in the press has been staged.
View Quote
Quoted:
I think so too.

Photoshop is a powerful tool.
View Quote
Quoted:
Staged event, by MR. Brown, what else?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad you made it out ok, it was a hellish couple weeks in the smoke in the valley.

I wanted to mention a couple things, Have you checked the sheriffs missing person list to make sure you're not on it? The other is FEMA, they are all over the place offering assistance. If you haven't contacted them the # is 800-462-7585.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top