Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2020 8:43:34 PM EDT
This isn't gun related but I just moved to richmond NH.
Can anyone suggest a auto inspection station that isn't all hardcore or crooked. Cheshire county south of keene anywhere. Troy,fitzwilliam,winchester,keene.

Thanks,
Jeff
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you mean by hardcore or crooked. Inspection stations here are pretty well regulated for the most part. If you are looking for someone to over look some illegal shit on your vehicle I can’t help you. But I don’t think you will find too many “crooked” inspection stations.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing illegal just a fine line in subjective opinions on tolerances hoping to squeeze cash out of people,
I’ve heard some complete horror stories about shops claiming bushings are bad or wheel bearings are out of tolerance knowing full well most people have no clue what they are talking about hell even claiming whipers are bad even if brand new to try and gouge.

Looking for a decent shop we’re I can go for decades to come.
Used same shop for last 26yrs but moved so need a new one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same position a year ago, having just moved to NH. I did a lot of reading on Yelp! and found a straight-arrow shop that I am now using. Yes, I read some horror stories and learned to stay away from those places. I'm in the Nashua area, so I'm sorry that I can't help with a direct recommendation.

BTW, one of my cars WOULD HAVE failed inspection as the brake pads had just started to gouge the rotor on the way up to NH the day before. The mechanic took me into the bay to actually look at the problem (it was real), quoted me a price, gave me a ride home and came back to pick me up, then inspected and legitimately passed the car. I was quite impressed by the professionalism.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Longtime lens used to chat you up a bunch on NES.
Ill find someone i keep my truck in top notch condition just was hoping to not have to go through trial and error in finding a good shop.
Prob gonna ask my neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Longtime lens used to chat you up a bunch on NES.
Ill find someone i keep my truck in top notch condition just was hoping to not have to go through trial and error in finding a good shop.
Prob gonna ask my neighbors.
View Quote
I'm still "living" on NES and that won't change from NH. I'm still looking for a classroom to use for teaching up here however.

Asking neighbors was going to be my next suggestion. I do lean heavily on Yelp! but parse out the unreasonable reviews. So far that usually works but I did get burnt big time on an HVAC mini-split install by a fly-by-night dealer. I did one charge-back and will be preparing a second one against him as I did pay $4K to fix what he didn't do correctly.

As for cars, I learned long ago to avoid places like Sears, quick oil-change places, etc. While at DEC, our secretary brought her car to a quick oil-change place in Maynard. The person who worked there apparently had no idea how to drive a stick shift and drove her car straight thru the garage doors, causing massive damage and then they gave her the run-around and tried to avoid paying for repairs. No thanks!

Here's an idea . . . ping Derek (on NES his username is now Admin) as he lives in your area. He might have a recommendation for you. He's here too, username might be Sgt Hoskins (unsure however).
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Your worked at Digital? My dad did forever till he retired from HP Westminster,Maynard then nashua.
My mom and two aunts worked for many years.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your worked at Digital? My dad did forever till he retired from HP Westminster,Maynard then nashua.
My mom and two aunts worked for many years.
View Quote
Yes, didn't everyone.

I was there for 13 yrs (got hit with the first layoff of engineers, one of 8000 let go in Dec. 1992), 12 in the Mill and 1 in Parker Street. My Wife was there 15 yrs, all over the greater Maynard area. She quit 3 months before the buy-out by Compaq.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top