Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2021 5:36:19 PM EDT
I think I am going to compose a letter to some state legislators I know about strengthening the Alabama Range Protection Act passed back at the turn of the century.  It only protects ranges established prior to the date of that legislation and only if they comply with its provisions.   So only older places like Heritage in Argo, Brocks Gap in Hoover and such have any protection derived from the legislation, but not the newer ranges established since the turn of the century.  Those do not have any protection.

Some know that a group of the locals who own land near CMP made a run at challenging its existence a few years ago when it just opened and they finally lost in the AL Supreme Court in terms of having it shut down as a nuisance.

The homeowners in the general area around the Sheepdog range came after them when they were open.  Even though it was a indoor range.

Recently the long range shooting club I have been a member of since it opened, the Rockford Gun Club down in Coosa County, was successfully closed by a nuisance lawsuit brought by a bunch of Elmer Fudd farmers in the area who considered gunfire to be annoying, even though they were all a half mile away or more, and the club only permitted firing between 9 a.m. and sunset and prohibited big things like .50BMG   This facility was in the most rural unpopulated area you will ever find for a firing range, but that is not enough for old Elmer Fudd who doesn't think we should be shooting so much and does not like it.

When I get my letter composed based on some research and figuring out what to suggest to our legislators in terms of an amendment for the RPA, I will post it here in case anybody else agrees and wants to contact the legislators as well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell ya, I'd interested in that!
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Interested! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Tax free, over the counter access to suppressors would eliminate most of the reason people ever complain about ranges.  AL should pull a CO and legalize the devices for recreational purposes.  And support OPs legislation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember hearing about some people trying to get Brock's Gap shut down. That range has been there since as long as I can remember. And then they started building new communities around Hoover and expanding it more and more. Well, they built a community that backs up to the property owned by Brock's Gap, and they tried to get the range shut down because they didn't like the noise. That's a bit like moving next to an airport and wanting it closed because of the noise. Hey.....moron.....the range was there, first. If you don't like the sound of gunfire in a controlled environment, then move somewhere else.

But everywhere has noises. The city has city noises; many cars, buses, people, horns, shootings, loud music etc. The country has country noises; animals not found in cities (horses, cows, roosters, coyotes, etc.), possibly large machines (farming), etc. Even the suburbs have their own sounds; dogs CONSTANTLY barking, married people screaming at each other in their front yards (i.e., meth-heads), loud music, etc.

To me, it's not that they don't like the noise. It's the fact of where the noise is coming from.....guns.

And while I'm not a fan of Brock's Gap and their weird-ass rules, I'll still defend them to keep them from being shut down due to some fudd or some soccer mom who doesn't like loud noises because it scares her little shitzu and gives him PTSD every time he hears a noise louder than a doorbell.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tax free, over the counter access to suppressors would eliminate most of the reason people ever complain about ranges.  AL should pull a CO and legalize the devices for recreational purposes.  And support OPs legislation.
View Quote

And That's why Liberals want to make Suppressors Illegal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are correct.
The phenomenon of moving near a range, then trying to shut it down,  has always baffled me.
It clearly isn't a rarity, sadly.

Thank you for your efforts.
View Quote
This happened to a racetrack near me that had been there for 40 years then subdivisions showed up. It got closed and the other one has time limits and a muffler rule. I am interested in this as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top