Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2020 2:08:21 AM EDT
I'm starting a  thread for those of us in the Northern parts of the state - let's keep the main rucking thread for AARs, pics, state-wide updates, etc.

I'm planning a walk next Saturday morning, 2/22/20. I will probably just wander around Canfield Mountain - I don't have a set trail in mind, and will probably do an out and back, unless someone else has a better idea. The snow runoff was still too high to get through the backside this past weekend, so unless that changes, I'll be using the trailhead off Nettleton Gulch. I'd probably depart the trailhead ~9am. Post or PM if you're interested.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Going up to the radio tower is a good up hill ruck. Cave trail is a bit less in  
elevation. I'll check my calendar and see if I free that am.  I live 1.5 miles
from there on 19th st.

eta.

I'll  see ya there in the am.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
We are taking a chaplain course in disaster management over in Spokane this weekend but are close enough to be interested in rucking with ya. We did the mineral lake trail up by Sandpoint yesterday.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Results from our first meeting at Canfield Mountain:

Distance - 7.1 miles

Total time - 3 hours, 15 minutes (3.25 hrs)

Pace - 27.5 mins/mile

Total elevation gain - 1400 feet

Total elevation change - 4269 feet

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thanks, GMTECH9, I had a great morning!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks like fun! Did you do the 40lbs pack and long rifle, too? Wouldn't mind joining for a walk sometime as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It was the just the two of us, so it wasn't a qualifier for anything, and I went light on the weight. I had a couple level 4s and a few water bottles in my pack. I thought it was a good warmup before going with full weight, and it'll be easier with less snow and ice going forward.

Always looking for more company, too. I don't think the next two weekends work for either of us, but I think we should start throwing some dates/times around so everyone can get some advance notice and work it into their schedules.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep at it guys! Wish our state wasn't so geographically separated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The wife and I will be at the next one. Keep us updated please
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
3/7 or 3/8 work for me.

How does that work for you guys? Any ideas for location?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3/7 or 3/8 work for me.

View Quote
Those don’t work for me, or probably anyone else in the Idaho guard (drill weekend).

Literally any other weekend works
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Good job guys.

Quoted:
Keep at it guys! Wish our state wasn't so geographically separated.
View Quote
Word.

I can drive to my job in North Dakota faster than I can get to my Family's property up in Priest Lake.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
3/7 or 3/8 work for me.

View Quote
3/8   may work for me,  If  the gig goes smooth on  3/7.

eta,

A city type hike,

The North Idaho Centennial Trail is 23 miles long, extending from the Idaho/Washington state line to Higgins Point, 6 miles east of Coeur d’Alene at the end of Coeur d’Alene Lake Drive. You can walk, jog, or bicycle on a Class I & II paved trail. At state line, it connects with the Spokane River Centennial Trail, which extends through Riverfront Park (22.5 miles west of the state line) and on to Nine Mile Falls.

This doesn't have the elevation changes as much as canfield and can be accessed from many points to bring it down to 6 miles.

also,

The Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes is a 73-mile paved trail spanning the Idaho panhandle between Mullan and Plummer. It was created through a unique partnership between the Coeur d'Alene Tribe, Union Pacific Railroad, the U. S. Government, and the State of Idaho. The trail meanders through the historic Silver Valley, along the Coeur d'Alene River past scenic Lake Coeur d'Alene and through rolling farmlands to Plummer. Twenty developed trailheads provide entry points, and there are twenty scenic waysides along the route with tables to stop for a picnic or a short rest..
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
@JohnConnor

We can try to squeeze in a mid-week hike, but that might be even more difficult to schedule. I'm all for it, though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@JohnConnor

We can try to squeeze in a mid-week hike, but that might be even more difficult to schedule. I'm all for it, though.
View Quote
Don’t worry about us. We will just join up on the next weekend you guys are out. I’ll stay posted.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

3/8   may work for me,  If  the gig goes smooth on  3/7.

eta,

A city type hike,

The North Idaho Centennial Trail is 23 miles long, extending from the Idaho/Washington state line to Higgins Point, 6 miles east of Coeur d’Alene at the end of Coeur d’Alene Lake Drive. You can walk, jog, or bicycle on a Class I & II paved trail. At state line, it connects with the Spokane River Centennial Trail, which extends through Riverfront Park (22.5 miles west of the state line) and on to Nine Mile Falls.

This doesn't have the elevation changes as much as canfield and can be accessed from many points to bring it down to 6 miles.

also,

The Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes is a 73-mile paved trail spanning the Idaho panhandle between Mullan and Plummer. It was created through a unique partnership between the Coeur d'Alene Tribe, Union Pacific Railroad, the U. S. Government, and the State of Idaho. The trail meanders through the historic Silver Valley, along the Coeur d'Alene River past scenic Lake Coeur d'Alene and through rolling farmlands to Plummer. Twenty developed trailheads provide entry points, and there are twenty scenic waysides along the route with tables to stop for a picnic or a short rest..
View Quote
That weekend won't work for me -booked on both days.

Higgins Point parking lot to the parking lot at Tony's on the Lake and back would be a good 6 mile walk.
Attachment Attached File

Actually, the whole 6 mile stretch southeast of CdA would be great!

Attachment Attached File

I could make it on the weekend of 3/14-3/15.
ETA: I could probably make it on most weekdays as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Those are all great suggestions. The in-town walks will be a good way to get the mileage with full weight, and there's plenty of parking along Lake Dr.

If any of you want to do some low key weekday walks, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I am free The 15th  for a  CDA lake drive trail hike, or I could do the 14th if it was Started by 7:30 am and I was
done by 9:30 or so. How my Saturdays got so busy I'll never know
I know armor should not count as weight, but my small pack may not handle all 45#. Something I'll need to
work on. I have a scale I can bring too. Just in case anyone want to check their packs or gear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in for the 15th! Probably won't bring the full weight for this walk... feet, knees, and back aren't what they used to be...
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Let's do a 3/15 Lake Dr walk. It's 10 days out, so time/meeting location TBD.

Anyone for a walk this Sunday?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
bump for Sunday 3/15 walk.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
In for the  3/15  CDA lake drive ruck
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#22]
What time sounds good to you guys for 3/15?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Just about any time works for me. I'm easy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I am good for the AM,  then I can go shoot in the afternoon.

Pick a time, Place,  point or boat launch and I'll see you there
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry fellas, I'm out for tomorrow morning. Hope to make it another time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry fellas, I'm out for tomorrow morning. Hope to make it another time.
View Quote
I'm sorry to hear that. For anyone else interested, I'll be at the Lake Steamers Marker at 0930 tomorrow, unless anyone prefers a different time. (First parking lot after the marina on Lake Dr)

ETA - for any newcomers, I'll be wearing a white and grey blue hat, white 4Runner. I may take the dog with me.  It's exactly 3 miles to Higgins point, and it's flat, so I suspect it'll be a quicker walk.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#27]
See you in the AM  
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

We walked 6.6 miles with 840 feet of elevation change in 1 hour 57 minutes

I threw the whole 45# on my back, and the advil is thankfully kicking in

Pace - 17:44/mile
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Should we try to do one during this shutdown? We can keep our 6’ distancing

How does this Saturday work for everyone?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Nobody? I promise, I’m much friendlier in real life

Just ask any Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm in Spirit Lake.

Subscribing to get some outdoor movin in my life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
My shoulders need some abuse anyway, what the hell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I will try and get out.

Just post when and where
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:14:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm spending the weekend at my parents', I'll be back Monday morning.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m down in Moscow, so if someone puts up and time and place the wife and I will show up with rucks and rifles
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry guys, I'm out until the bullshit blows over.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone interested? Days, times?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I would have on the 2nd, but did 28 miles up on Canfield on the dirt bike instead.

That place was crowded, still a lot on snow on the back side.

I am ready to do some more rucks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm ready, too. I camped on the snow down in the Sawtooths a couple weeks back, it was great!

ETA - I'm climbing Saturday morning, but I could go for a walk after lunch. I think I'm also free Sunday evening if we walk fast.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Ya, I'm busy sat too. Sunday I will be taking care of the Mom's, BBQ & such  

I'm free next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#41]
What's interest like for next weekend (6/20 or 6/21)?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm busy this weekend, was told not to make plans

Next weekend is open for me

Would  like to see some more HTF folks join in,  if I can do it, anyone can do it
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#43]
My weekend availability is good until Independence Day - my in-laws will be with us for a week, but maybe I can sneak in a walk/hike as an excuse to get away
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Let's get another walk organized. Canfield is a good option, or CDA Lake Drive for a relatively flat out-and-back. English Point? And if anyone wants to give it a shot, Scotchman would be a great challenge.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm up for a walk, weekends only though. I need to not push it too much, haven't been out enough
in the last few weeks. Been working on the house and prepping for the possibility of shortages after
the election.

Did you find the ring ? Has the wife found out yet
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm up for a walk, weekends only though. I need to not push it too much, haven't been out enough
in the last few weeks. Been working on the house and prepping for the possibility of shortages after
the election.

Did you find the ring ? Has the wife found out yet
View Quote

No ring, though I haven't recruited the guys out yet, I've been helping my parents with some home stuff, too. My wife was actually there when I lost it, not much hope of hiding the fact.

I'm free this coming Saturday morning, but I'm heading out to Wyoming to go climbing on the 10th, and won't be back until the 16th or 17th.

Edit - for anyone else, I might be able to swing mid week walks as well, just reply here or send me a PM.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No ring, though I haven't recruited the guys out yet, I've been helping my parents with some home stuff, too. My wife was actually there when I lost it, not much hope of hiding the fact.

I'm free this coming Saturday morning, but I'm heading out to Wyoming to go climbing on the 10th, and won't be back until the 16th or 17th.

Edit - for anyone else, I might be able to swing mid week walks as well, just reply here or send me a PM.
View Quote

I was informed that I am busy this Sat morn  by the mad shopper

Maybe we can plan a day after you get back and get some others to join in

Wife says she would like to  tag along on one if its a little shorter of a ruck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I was informed that I am busy this Sat morn  by the mad shopper

Maybe we can plan a day after you get back and get some others to join in

Wife says she would like to  tag along on one if its a little shorter of a ruck.
View Quote

That sounds great! Want to try for Sunday the 18th?This gives us more time to get more on board as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top