Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2021 9:14:44 PM EDT
Hello

I am trying to find a lake or calm swimming hole within an hour or so of Cumming that would be suitable for swimming in that has a nice entry point and is reasonably clean/clear (ie, not Lanier muddy). Trying to find a good place to go for a picnic and to familiarize a young pup with the water to get her comfortable.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello

I am trying to find a lake or calm swimming hole within an hour or so of Cumming that would be suitable for swimming in that has a nice entry point and is reasonably clean/clear (ie, not Lanier muddy). Trying to find a good place to go for a picnic and to familiarize a young pup with the water to get her comfortable.

Thanks!
View Quote

It's gonna take more than an hour to get to, and the pond is tiny and will get stirred up in a hurry, but you could always bring her out to the Angry Emu and let her play in the water out here. It's mostly shallow, but will deepen to where she'll need to swim. There is also a stream further back that is anywhere from inches to a foot or so deep that she can romp around in. She could also be exposed to the sound of gunfire out here, if you chose to train her in that manner. And there are even picnic tables near the dam at the range.

Yeah, she'll get muddy, but you can take her back to the stream to clean her up a bit. You can see an aerial pic and a little video of the pond in the pinned post about the Angry Emu Range at the top of this forum. It's a little south of Madison. Let me know if you'd like to come out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You could try Rock Creek Lake near the Chattahoochee Forest National Fish Hatchery, there's a campground just north of it but there's parking right across the forest road from it. Would be more than an hour from Cumming though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Carter's Lake? I enjoy going up there but not too sure on if there are places for a dog to swim. I'm pretty sure there is a beach somewhere up there that is part of the lake. I mainly just like driving around that general area in the mountains.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the recommendations folks, especially Emu, very generous. I haven’t been out to your place yet but would love to soon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Lake Conasauga
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top