Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2018 3:44:40 PM EDT
I'm taking my family (wife and two teenage boys) to the Pacific Northwest this July.  I've carved out six nights for Olympic (Lake Quinault, Ho rainforest, several of the beaches as well as a day at Hurricane Ridge).  In addition I was planning 2 nights (1 1/2 days) in Rainer as well as the same amount of time at Mt St Helens as well as the North Cascades.

My question...I want to spend a whole day hiking the Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm trail.  I've come to find through looking around that on the east side of the park is the Maple Pass Loop trail which sounds like a great hike.  If anyone has hiked both trails, should I carve some time out of Olympic to allocate another half day (for a total of 3 nights/2 full days) to incorporate both of these trails?

Thoughts are appreciated!

Sloth
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been up to the North Cascades, but I would say 6 nights might be a little too much time in the Olympics. I absolutely love the area (Ruby Beach and Ozette are amazing, as is the Ho Rainforest), but I think you might get a little bored with that much time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have to agree, I find the Olympics to be pretty boring and isolated, and not in a good way - their closeness to the coast always gave me a sense that what you see is pretty much it. It will likely be soggy as hell to boot.

Olympic hot springs is worth part of a day to check out though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The coastal rain forests are amazing places, but the damp weather can be a downer if it isn't your thing. Maybe it's your thing, though. If it isn't, a little less time there and a little more time inland might be a good idea. You know what kind of weather you like, and what you can tolerate, but ONP on the coast is a pretty damp place, hence "coastal rain forest".
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice.  I was a bit disappointed to learn that the low tide on the week we're out there is around 6-7AM which might limit tide pool exploration and also the time needed out there over all.

I think I will move schedule around to get more time in the North Cascades.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You could drive the mountain loop highway and do some hikes along it too. The big 4 ice caves is a nice stop
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Fog and rain in the olympics, you might want to have a back up plan. I would take the cascades in July over they olympics in July. Have hiked and camped in both.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Rainier in July, cluster of immense proportions, kind of like free day at an Asian whorehouse next to a Military Base  If you are going to Rainier, weekday a must and not the week of the 4th.

I have hiked both the trails you mention, it has been a long time, both are nice hikes.  Here are a couple links;

NWHikers

Wash Trail Assoc

Best info you will find is on these two websites.

You can also call the Park,they are helpful.  https://www.nps.gov/noca/index.htm (360) 854-7200
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for the advice.  Rainer is going to be mid-week (not 4th of July week either).  Staying at Paradise, so hopefully, we will have some peaceful moments.

I called the North Cascade NP and spoke with a super nice and knowledgeable ranger.  It sounds like there may still be significant amount of snow on the ground which may accessing Cascade Pas/Sahale arm very difficult.  I suspect that two night 1 1/2 days there should be good enough to find something that would give a taste of the region.

I'm thoroughly excited to head out there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks again for the advice.  Rainer is going to be mid-week (not 4th of July week either).  Staying at Paradise, so hopefully, we will have some peaceful moments.

I called the North Cascade NP and spoke with a super nice and knowledgeable ranger.  It sounds like there may still be significant amount of snow on the ground which may accessing Cascade Pas/Sahale arm very difficult.  I suspect that two night 1 1/2 days there should be good enough to find something that would give a taste of the region.

I'm thoroughly excited to head out there.
View Quote
The Park will send you a free brochure and basic map if you call back.  They have really good maps for sale about $8 bucks or so, you can also get the Olympic and Rainier maps at the same time, probably available on-line from other sources.  Cascade Pass will depend on this Winters snow which of course is unknown.

10-24-2018

MARBLEMOUNT, Wash. — A popular scenic road in Skagit County closes for the season starting Thursday.

The National Park Service says Cascade River Road will close to all traffic starting five miles before the Cascade Pass trailhead.

The road sustained considerable damage from storms and heavy rains late last year.

During the closure, crews will install a culvert to help preserve the integrity of the road and nearby stream.

Pass Closed

HWY 20 through the NC Park open close dates historically
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Another nod to Rainier: I did an Americorps term on the Wonderland trail, it's pretty great. For day hikes, the White River-to-Summerland stretch is probably my favorite. I prefer to stay away from the especially crowded spots, and the 1600ft gain tends to mean less crowding. It might sound daunting but its certainly doable. And the views are amazing. Plenty of picture opportunities.

There's a good chance you'll walk through snow at the higher points like Summerland and Sunrise but nothing a Hoosier can't handle.
And if you do walk up to Summerland, keep going till you hit Panhandle Gap. You'll be able to see St Helens from there on a clear day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would have to agree, I find the Olympics to be pretty boring and isolated, and not in a good way - their closeness to the coast always gave me a sense that what you see is pretty much it. It will likely be soggy as hell to boot.
View Quote
I think if I were OP I'd cut back on the Olympics.  Maybe fish out of Ilwaco instead, stay at Adrift Hotel, hipster but well done.  Head north and hike out to Sandpoint from Lake Ozette on the coast -- two days max.  Finish the loop around the peninsula past Crescent Lake, Sequim, PA and what ever gets you off the peninsula quickest after that -- probably a ferry from Bainbridge, although the double ferry from Port Townsend then on to Mukilteo if you're aiming north.  Or skip the big 101 route and hit Rainier then head north.  Being partial to the east side of the state take 97/97Alt between the north and south instead of I-5, if possible.  If you like clear, deep, and warm lakes hit Chelan but make reservations now, it won't be cheap.  Don't stay in or north of Manson/Wapato Point because the lake deepens there and the water isn't as nice.  Great fireworks shows there and lots of wine touring.

Hwy 410 to or from Rainier is most scenic although there is the in-park road from Hwy 123 to Paradise.  Paradise has a national park hotel and so does Longmeyer.  I'm partial to Sunrise more than Paradise.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Just some info for OP, visitation numbers for 2017;

Olympic 3,401,996

Rainier 1,415,867

North Cascades 30,326
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done the MP loop several times, Cascade/Sahale only once.   One thing to think about is the MP loop trailhead is right on the highway.  Cascade Pass you have to drive to the end of the Cascade River Road.
That and the trail has the most ridiculous number of switchbacks, and then you have to come back down the same way.  If I had to pick one or the other it would be the MP loop hands down.

I also always recommend if a person has the time the drive to Harts Pass/Slate Peak from Mazama.

First three pics are from the MP loop, last two are Cascade Pass/Sahale.

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Great pics!

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all the advice.  The geography out there is absolutely spectacular!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great pics!

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all the advice.  The geography out there is absolutely spectacular!
View Quote
Wait till you see the green water in North Cascades. Looks like a bad photo shop, water really green, limestone ground into glacial silt as I understand.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've done the MP loop several times, Cascade/Sahale only once.   One thing to think about is the MP loop trailhead is right on the highway.  Cascade Pass you have to drive to the end of the Cascade River Road.
That and the trail has the most ridiculous number of switchbacks, and then you have to come back down the same way.  If I had to pick one or the other it would be the MP loop hands down.

I also always recommend if a person has the time the drive to Harts Pass/Slate Peak from Mazama.

First three pics are from the MP loop, last two are Cascade Pass/Sahale.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1789/28062917787_933293b3a7_z.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/883/41066539410_a2e1d6a30c_z.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1731/41066546450_104e63d160_z.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1755/42876668661_d5397f0cc3_z.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1755/29004685438_d743461418_z.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
July?
Them hills will be burning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top