Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2021 2:42:23 PM EDT
As discussed in these threads

North Alabama meet-up - 23JAN21 update in OP

and

What is the ALHTF fallback communication plan?

Next meeting will be this Saturday somewhere in Decatur, exact place TBD. I cant seem to find a reasonably large, yet cheap place to meet. I'll keep looking.

SOP - no need to post here that you cannot make it. Just PM me and I will let you know by the end of the week a time and place. Also let me know if you prefer breakfast or lunch. Seems like we have better options if we make it lunch (11am).

I know Ive said this several times and I'll keep saying it - we cant just sit around and wait. We need a network now. The very, very least we can do is meet, learn from each other, and network. I'm an artist and introvert. To step away from my computer and meet strange people is against my nature and uncomfortable. But something has to happen, so I'll do it.

I cant make any promises, but hopefully I can keep doing this on Saturdays for several weeks. If you cant make this one, maybe, knowing therell be another, you can make that one.

Also, heads up, we're discussing a meeting in Birmingham the following weekend, Saturday 6FEB21

30JAN2021 UPDATE

Met at local eatery. Much coffee, some beer, and chili with beans.

# of attendees doubled.

Recommended comms (other than Ham) Zello and Wire

Associate B programmed my Boafeng and was gracious enough to burn CDs with other software, including Chirp.

Discussed Robinhood debacle, Covid and masking, and Ham.

Ham topics included repeaters and a much larger Ham group, the name of which I wrote down and found their website, but I'm not comfortable posting it here out of an abundance of caution. If that Associate would like to post it, please do.

Also discussed PACE, or Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency planning. I've been wondering to what end are these meetings for? I believe going forward, if these meeting evolve, this would be a primary purpose for these meets.

Heres the thread I mentioned regarding what to do / how to prep for protest. Lots of good info.

The Great Bolivian Boogaloo

Next meeting will be in Birmingham this coming Saturday, 6FEB21. I'll start another thread on that.

Following that meeting, I'll go to Athens, AL on 13FEB21 (again, I'll start another thread)

I know some folks wanted to hold up on the Bham meet, but this is just more like coffee and chat. I'm thinking we should do something really substantial in the near future in Bham, but this aint it.

Thanks for coming out today!

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can we push back the Birmingham meet one or two weekends?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
When you say large and cheap, are you trying to find a place to eat at or??? I know of some parks if you want an outdoor type place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you say large and cheap, are you trying to find a place to eat at or??? I know of some parks if you want an outdoor type place.
View Quote

For now I'm looking for a place to sit and have coffee. It should be able to accommodate folks at a table. Waffle House / IHOP would not work because there are no large tables. I also understand some folks here cannot afford / dont want to spend $10 for gas to get there and $15 for a 2 eggs and bacon breakfast. Thats like, 4 or 5 .380s....

I'm pushing breakfast because some folks wouldnt attend if there were alcohol involved. But most folks that drink will eat breakfast. Also, there wouldnt be the worry about someone driving home drunk. Thats their issue, but I'm still trying to be considerate. That said, if I cant find a place for breakfast, it may come to meeting at a place later in the day that serves alcohol.

I'd like for this to be a simple thing, trying to cast a big enough net. Just like minded folks sitting around trading ideas, getting to know each other.

I'm aware of several parks in Decatur and if it comes to that I'll be sure to let folks know, but through PM.

In the interest of OPSEC, lets PM meeting places.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO, I think meeting on the 6th in Birmingham should still happen to keep the interest going. We can add other dates down the road as well so more people have a chance to attend. I attended last week with @reddog_3d and associate C, and will also be heading to Decatur Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Would love to, but I'll be busy with work this wkend.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I should mention its probably best if the venue has wifi. Unfortunately this may preclude places like parks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IMO, I think meeting on the 6th in Birmingham should still happen to keep the interest going. We can add other dates down the road as well so more people have a chance to attend. I attended last week with @reddog_3d and associate C, and will also be heading to Decatur Saturday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y’all continue on.

Looks like I’m quarantined.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
After much soul searching and gnashing of teeth, I'll meet yall at 11:00am in Decatur, AL. I just cant find / settle on a place that serves breakfast that I'm comfortable with as far as capacity, cleanliness, price, and location.

On the bright side, its supposed to be nice out. You could make a day of it. Go to Swan Creek in the morning or after we get together. (BTW - I'm not certain the Swan Creek times are accurate now)

PM me for place.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I might be able to stop by for a bit. I have to be at work at 12.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Y’all continue on.

Looks like I’m quarantined.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. I had to quarantine a couple weeks ago.

There will be more meet-ups coming.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After much soul searching and gnashing of teeth, I'll meet yall at 11:00am in Decatur, AL. I just cant find / settle on a place that serves breakfast that I'm comfortable with as far as capacity, cleanliness, price, and location.

On the bright side, its supposed to be nice out. You could make a day of it. Go to Swan Creek in the morning or after we get together. (BTW - I'm not certain the Swan Creek times are accurate now)

PM me for place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

PM me for place.

The range is closed in late fall and winter during the dates of open duck season. (November 21, 2020 - February 7, 2021)

Winter Hours (October – March)  (Closed during dates of open duck season as noted above).

Looks like Swan Creek is closed
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]
DAMMIT

So, a close second is you could go stand in line at Larry's...
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
DAMMIT

So, a close second is you could go stand in line at Larry's...
View Quote

lol. Flint creek just off of Bud Weaver in Hartselle might be an option. I know someone that lives in that area and they hear gunshots down that way once in a while. It also seems to be a popular area for dumping trash.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Hurricane Creek (south of Moulton) is kinda nice. Its a little out of the way, but if you're from the 'Ham you could stop on the way up or on the way back. Its WAAAAYYYYY back in the woods.

And they have a shitter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Apparently, I'm Ass B .

I plan on being in Decatur Saturday. I'll have my computer so I can program radios for your area. I have the programing cable for
Baofeng UV-5R series, UV3R Plus, BF-888S/BF-88A, and UV-82/UV-82L. If you have any other radio, you will need your own cable.
View Quote

Bump for those that intend to attend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top