Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 8:30:19 AM EDT
@BigeasySnow

Hi,

I'm not longer posting that much but I'm the French Archaeologist lurking on arfcom since 2013.
I'm also a big collector of WW2 military objects and a big fan of WW2 history.

That's why one my greatest shame is that I never went to Normandy. So as a birthday gift, I would like to spend about 2 weeks in Normandy with my GF (and before June to avoid most of the tourists).

The problem is that I don't have any family member or friend leaving in Normandy. That's why a French is asking some advices on this board
If I remember well, some of you are from that area/have your family there or already went to Normandy so I would gladly take any advice you may have to avoid the touristic traps.

I would be very much interested if some of you know some renting opportunities or even woofing opportunities.

I know that you are not a tourist information center so my apologies for asking that.

Thanks and best regards,
Cyril

Thanks and best regards,
Cyril
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh hey! How ya doing?

I wish I had more info for you, but I just go home and stay at my house. I don’t do much except run around the countryside and do yard work etc. I do really like doing trail rides on horseback and I thoroughly enjoyed the D day museums and the paratrooper church. I’ve never seen the Bayeux tapestry in person but it seems worth seeing as well as the Mont St. Michel.

I’d probably stay in a gite or Airbnb if I didn’t have a house. The camping there has never seemed good and the weather is rotten.

I’m partial to the Saire river valley, but as far as I know, all of Normandy is pretty.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm fine thanks, still looking for a real job and you?

Thanks for the answer too! Damn that sounds like quite a nice program and way of life!
The Bayeux tapestry was loaned to the brits for the 1st time in history so I won't see it this time.

I have juste finished to list what I want to see: 4 museums, 2 cementaries, all the beaches and many bunkers so the DDay-part should be fine. Now I have to find a way to not be killed by the GF so the Mont Saint-Michel seems to be a really nice idea , She really want to see the baie de Somme so that's perfect.

You are right, it seems that an Airbnb in Caen or another city + renting a car sounds like the best way to enjoy the trip without selling one of my kidney.
The fort de Tatihou is on my list so the Val de Saire is going to be checked!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
Oh hey! How ya doing?

I wish I had more info for you, but I just go home and stay at my house. I don’t do much except run around the countryside and do yard work etc. I do really like doing trail rides on horseback and I thoroughly enjoyed the D day museums and the paratrooper church. I’ve never seen the Bayeux tapestry in person but it seems worth seeing as well as the Mont St. Michel.

I’d probably stay in a gite or Airbnb if I didn’t have a house. The camping there has never seemed good and the weather is rotten.

I’m partial to the Saire river valley, but as far as I know, all of Normandy is pretty.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure what "woofing opportunities" are, but Normandy is a great area to visit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top