Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2022 5:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: isullivan]
What are the laws around traveling to a shooting range (not a competition) in MA as a non-resident?

I do not have a non-resident MA pistol permit or FID.

From what I could find, the laws only state details for hunting or traveling through the state.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Possesion without a MA NR LTC is a felony.

Only two legitimate exemptions:

- LEO (active or retired with LEOSA credentials)
- Low capacity long guns (only) and ammo for same.

There is NO competition exemption. The wording of that law makes it such that no state's license meets the requirements for an exemption. When I teach the intricacies of Mass gun laws, I go into the gory details. Yes, I know that many NRs without LTCs compete regularly in MA and even bring in so-called AWs and new large capacity mags (all felonies). As long as they don't get caught, everyone skates thru (on thin ice).

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 10:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: isullivan] [#2]
Thanks for clarifying.

I’ll stick to bolt actions. Would preban “assault rifles” be kosher?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By isullivan:
Thanks for clarifying.

I'll stick to bolt actions. Would preban "assault rifles" be kosher?
View Quote
Pre-ban AWs are only legal with a MA LTC, so in your case the answer is no.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LenS:
Possesion without a MA NR LTC is a felony.

Only two legitimate exemptions:

- LEO (active or retired with LEOSA credentials)
- Low capacity long guns (only) and ammo for same.

There is NO competition exemption. The wording of that law makes it such that no state's license meets the requirements for an exemption. When I teach the intricacies of Mass gun laws, I go into the gory details. Yes, I know that many NRs without LTCs compete regularly in MA and even bring in so-called AWs and new large capacity mags (all felonies). As long as they don't get caught, everyone skates thru (on thin ice).

View Quote

What is the legal basis for the low capacity long gun exception?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

MGL C. 140 S. 129C (p)

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.
Be aware that this exemption ONLY applies to "low capacity" long guns (NMT 10 rds-rifle, 5 rds-shotgun).
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
MGL C. 140 S. 129C (p)

Be aware that this exemption ONLY applies to "low capacity" long guns (NMT 10 rds-rifle, 5 rds-shotgun).
View Quote

Thanks. I had only read the first part and not the exceptions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
MGL C. 140 S. 129C (p)

View All Quotes

MGL C. 140 S. 129C (p)

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

Would a ban compliant AR-15 with 10 round mags be a "conventional rifle"? Wondering because I have a varmint build with fixed stock and target crown barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LenS] [#8]
Originally Posted By eric496:

Would a ban compliant AR-15 with 10 round mags be a "conventional rifle"? Wondering because I have a varmint build with fixed stock and target crown barrel.
View Quote
Sorry, no. Strictly those guns that aren't considered "large capacity" regardless of what mag comes with it. ARs are on a list of "large capacity guns" which DQ's them for this exemption.

https://www.mass.gov/lists/approved-firearms-rosters
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, no. Strictly those guns that aren't considered "large capacity" regardless of what mag comes with it. ARs are on a list of "large capacity guns" which DQ's them for this exemption.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eric496:

Thanks. I thought the answer would be no.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
What about an inline muzzleloader pistol? I've been looking around and can't find if that would be ok for a nonresident to bring to a shooting range in MA. I know they're not legal for hunting there. Does MA law consider it to be a handgun and therefore not allowed without an LTC? It's not a replica of an antique.

This is what I'm asking about:

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My expertise in Mass gun law is mostly about conventional guns. I have limited knowledge of black powder guns.

The following is from MGL C. 140 S. 121 (definitions) and may be helpful.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/mass-general-laws-c140-ss-121
The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade;
View Quote
What this generally means is that black powder guns don't require a license in MA. If it uses a primer (209 shotgun primer), I am uncertain as "components" are treated as ammo (yes, even spent .22LR cases) and one must possess a MA LTC.

I hope this helps.

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My expertise in Mass gun law is mostly about conventional guns. I have limited knowledge of black powder guns.

The following is from MGL C. 140 S. 121 (definitions) and may be helpful.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/mass-general-laws-c140-ss-121
What this generally means is that black powder guns don't require a license in MA. If it uses a primer (209 shotgun primer), I am uncertain as "components" are treated as ammo (yes, even spent .22LR cases) and one must possess a MA LTC.

I hope this helps.
View Quote

Thanks for responding.

Wouldn't MGL C. 140 S. 129C (p), along with (f), (g), and (h) that you posted above exempt the 209 primer and .22 ammo? Not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to figure out what I can do legally. I'm so close to the MA border that I get invited to go to shooting with friends in MA from time to time. I thought bringing my muzzleloader rifle with powder and primers was ok, even outside of hunting season.

Still not sure what they mean by "Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121".  https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Everything I can find mentions "black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition" and not pistols so I'll assume it would not be legal until I can find evidence to the contrary.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]
A verbatim reading of those sections does indeed ONLY exempt long guns.

I know that there was case law wrt BP handguns, however I can't find it currently.

If you ask in https://www.northeastshooters.com  in the MA gun laws sub-forum, one of the BP shooters can better answer your question.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a pump-action shotgun I would have to have locked in the trunk when traveling to MA, but its capacity is > 5 rounds.  Do you have any idea whether placing a removable dowel in the magazine tube to reduce the capacity to 5 rounds would be sufficient to satisfy the round limitation exemption?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AlanD:
I have a pump-action shotgun I would have to have locked in the trunk when traveling to MA, but its capacity is > 5 rounds.  Do you have any idea whether placing a removable dowel in the magazine tube to reduce the capacity to 5 rounds would be sufficient to satisfy the round limitation exemption?
View Quote
Oh boy, this reply is going to be even weirder than most can imagine.

The wording of MGL on tube-fed long guns is identical to the expired Clinton Ban. That said, EOPS in MA (Mass State Police, Firearms Records Bureau, etc. report to them) has allegedly "determined" that a tube-fed shotgun . . . that the tube "can't be a large capacity feeding device" because if you  remove the tube from the shotgun, all the rounds would fall out, so it doesn't "hold" the ammo. This info was told to me directly from the chairman of the Gun Control Advisory Board . . . they draft all the regulations on MA gun laws.

And to make matters more complicated, if one were using mini-shells, even a 3-round tube would hold >5 rounds.

Meanwhile, a plain English reading of the statute only exempts .22LR. So take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for the reply.

It appears, like many legal issues, as the expression goes "clear as mud".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top