Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2020 4:46:30 PM EDT
A friend of the family has a farm in MD, and has a coyote problem. I'd like to help them solve it. I'm not a MD resident. It's unclear exactly what licensing I'd need to buy in order to hunt problem coyotes on their farm.

Their site says,

A hunting license is required to hunt or trap furbearers (with exceptions). See Hunting Licenses, Stamps and Permits (Hunting Licenses) for Armed Forces information and hunting license costs, exceptions, purchasing, requirements and types.

A Nonresident Hunting License and Nonresident Trapping License are required of nonresidents to trap furbearers in Maryland (see Other Licenses, Hunting Licenses).

A Furbearer Permit is required to hunt, chase or trap any furbearer in Maryland (see Furbearer Permit and Exceptions, Hunting Licenses).
View Quote

The link says,

Other Hunting Licenses

Nonresident 3-Day Waterfowl
and Small Game License$45

This license allows nonresidents of Maryland to hunt all legal game in season except deer, bear and turkey for three consecutive legal hunting days.
A Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp is required to hunt migratory game birds with this license.
A Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp is required to hunt waterfowl and coots with this license.
A Furbearer Permit is required to hunt, chase or trap furbearers with a Nonresident 3-Day Waterfowl and Small Game License.
The Hunter Education and Safety Requirement does not apply to hunting only wild waterfowl with this license.
View Quote

This is about as clear as mud, since the word "Exceptions" appears only twice on the Hunting Licenses page.

- Do you need a full season hunting license as a non-resident PLUS a furbearer license to hunt coyotes in MD?
- It seems as though you can get the non-resident small game license and hunt coyotes with that, but does that mean your furbearer permit only applies during those 3 days?

Thank you in advance. I'm trying to help this person, but I'm not throwing down over $100 in licenses to kill the king's problem animals...even $50 seems excessive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you have to have the non resident hunting license, period.  That will
Allow you to buy the fur bearer permit for yote.

PS- I live in Maryland, just north of AA county.  I’ve been trying to find some coyote land and would love the opportunity to help!  Coyotes wiped out the turkey population where I was going to turkey hunt this hear.  I’m on a vendetta now
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Best bet may be to call DNR though. However, sometimes you will get different answers based off who you talk to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best bet may be to call DNR though. However, sometimes you will get different answers based off who you talk to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

E-mailed the DNR to leave a paper trail.

They first told me I'd need the full non-resident license. I quote their website on 3-day permits. They replied "oops, sorry actually you can hunt coyotes with a 3-day permit."

Do I really want to ask more questions? Even if I receive an answer to the affirmative, does the MD DNR even know what they're talking about?

Hello,

I am a PA resident ### A friend of mine (in MD) has a coyote problem on her farm (they are killing her  chickens) and wants me to help her get rid of them.

After reviewing your site I'm not clear on exactly what licenses I would need - furbearer definitely, but it says coyotes can be hunted with the 3 day nonresident license. If I buy a 3 day nonresident license can I only hunt coyote on her property for those 3 days? I'm looking for guidance on the minimum licensing required to hunt coyote (and only coyote) on her farm for the season. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for contacting the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.  You will need to purchase a non-resident hunting license for $130.00 and the furbearer permit is $5.00 to be able to hunt coyotes in Maryland.  Coyote is not a small game species so that is the reason why you need to purchase a non-resident hunting license and not the three-day non-resident hunting license.

Hello Tracey,

Thank you for the reply. Could you please clarify what is meant by this clause? I'm trying to understand the options here,

"A Furbearer Permit is required to hunt, chase or trap furbearers with a Nonresident 3-Day Waterfowl and Small Game License."

Retrieved from http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/hunting-licenses/

Please accept my apology for sending you an incorrect response below.  I located the correct information in the 2020-2021 Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping on pages 6 and 7.  It appears you may purchase the non-resident three-day waterfowl and small game hunting license for $35.00 and the furbearer permit for $5.00 to allow you to hunt coyotes in Maryland

In other words, they have zero fucking idea what they're talking about. What permits do I need or not need to fix MD's coyote problems?

While I find it repugnant that I need to pay money to fix the state of Maryland's coyote problems, I'm willing to pay a small sum of money to hunt the KiNg's CoYoTeS .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top