Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2018 3:10:34 PM EDT
I used to live in MD but know things have changed since I left. I want to visit family and bring guns with me to shoot. Are there any particular guns I can not bring to MD and shoot based on caliber, mag limits, make, model, short barrels, suppressors, or other NFA stuff?

For example mossberg shockwave?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I live closer to a good range in Maryland than I do a good range in Pennsylvania, 5 minutes versus 25 minutes. I take pretty much anything into Maryland and don't get bothered, now mind you this is Garrett County and we don't act like morons and this part of the state is pro-gun for now. On my NFA stuff, I fill out my 5320.20 forms and get them sent in a month before I want to start shooting and they are approved for a year. But, I've heard a lot of people can't get a 5320 approved for Maryland, I don't have issues, not sure if it's because I'm LE and work for Maryland or I just get lucky. I shoot with other Maryland residents and they bring all sorts of stuff to their ranges that are borderline ban violations and no one bothers them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think MD has any banned NFA items so I wonder what the issue is. I have suppressors and SBRs I would bring up. Probably Allegheny county.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure, last I heard was 5320's were getting denied left and right. I'm not sure if it's because Maryland's SBR laws are different than Federal laws. Maryland wants 29 inches, Federal is 26. Something like that. I work in Allegany County, is that the area you are visiting? There is a public range outside of Cumberland at Green Ridge. It sucks. Take the time and drive to the one at New Germany in Garrett County. It's the one I shoot at all the time. It's much better and it is barely further away than Green Ridge is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think there are any restrictions for non residents
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont think there are any restrictions for non residents
View Quote
I don't think so either, Maryland is just so full of gray areas and I'm not sure if it's the ATF agents processing the forms trying to respectfully honor Maryland's laws and not trumping them with Federal law, or what is going on. It would make no sense since Federal Law trumps state law. But, you have one agent denying a 5320 for a reason like "Target shooting" and another agent approving a 5320 for that reason. I've seen that happen before. You can call Maryland State Police and get one answer, call the local Sheriff and get another answer, call the ATF and get their answer, call a lawyer in the area and get their answer, ask a Judge and get their answer, and not one of them will be the same answer. I texted a few people to let them know I will be bringing my SBR's to the ranges in Maryland for the shoots and trainings this year so they can get firsthand experience, and almost all the responses I got were, "Your 5320 actually got APPROVED?!" I talked to my current PA FFL LGS owner yesterday and he said he sent his 5320 in for his 10.5 and 14.5 SBR's to bring them to Maryland with us, and it came back denied. He used the exact same reasons as I did, we filled them out together on his computer when I stopped by, but mine got one agent, and his got another. For such a pro-2A area as this one, there is an extreme lack of NFA knowledge or interaction. Mostly because the people who are Pro-2A are blue collar workers with families, welfare dependent, unemployed, or minimum wage who don't have the extra cash to buy suppressors or SBR's or registered machine guns, and the ones that do have the cash have plenty of AR15's and other such arms, but live under the stigma of, "I'm not paying $200 for a tax stamp, that gives the ATF/Government another reason to single me out or come into my home uninvited."

I mean, we are talking about Maryland, the state that says an AR15 with a HBAR barrel is less dangerous than an M4 profile barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Form 20s we’re getting denied. I went through about 3 years worth of denials, all disapproved by Terry Whittington. His reason each time was that “MD didn’t have a law that allowed for SBRs to be temporarily brought in to the state.”

Yep.

The two that I submitted a couple of months back for travel in to Maryland were both approved by some other individual.

Of course, this is a fitting picture for asking the government about anything to do with firearms and Maryland:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Form 20s we’re getting denied. I went through about 3 years worth of denials, all disapproved by Terry Whittington. His reason each time was that “MD didn’t have a law that allowed for SBRs to be temporarily brought in to the state.

Yep.

The two that I submitted a couple of months back for travel in to Maryland were both approved by some other individual.

Of course, this is a fitting picture for asking the government about anything to do with firearms and Maryland:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/9C90DEEA-8D08-4822-89A9-2F3D7A3E67C8-531277.JPG
View Quote
Unless there are laws against it would it not be permitted?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unless there are laws against it would it not be permitted?
View Quote
That’s the core problem with way too much in our country.

1.  Show me where it says I’m allowed to do that.

2.  Show me where it says I’m prohibited from doing that.

I choose the second one, every time. Many do not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top