Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2021 3:38:56 PM EDT
My son and I are applying for a Texas non-resident LTC.  State of residency will be changing to Texas this year and was hoping someone here would know what will be required to change my TX LTC from non-resident to resident status when that time comes.  Hopefully, we won't have to start the entire application process over in order to do this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think its a pretty easy process but hadn't had to do it.  You'll have to prove your residency of course.  

Several someone's will be by to walk and talk ya through it
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I would try calling DPS in Austin, they are pretty responsive. On a guess I would send in an address change (which you need to do within 30 days of moving) with a copy of you new Texas driver’s license.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My son and I are applying for a Texas non-resident LTC.  State of residency will be changing to Texas this year and was hoping someone here would know what will be required to change my TX LTC from non-resident to resident status when that time comes.  Hopefully, we won't have to start the entire application process over in order to do this.
View Quote

I would wait till you get here and skip non-resident. You can start a lot of it right now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get a non-resident license from another state that Texas recognizes, then get a Texas license when you get here.  Then you can keep the spare license in case you have your wallet stolen or something.  Also if you want to carry in a state like Washington or Minnesota which doesn't recognize a Texas license, then that other non-resident license could help you there too.  Also Illinois allows Texas residents to have Illinois licenses, so if you ever want to go back to Illinois once you become Texas residents, check up on the process to convert your Illinois license (I assume you have one) to a non-resident license.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get a non-resident license from another state that Texas recognizes, then get a Texas license when you get here.  Then you can keep the spare license in case you have your wallet stolen or something.  Also if you want to carry in a state like Washington or Minnesota which doesn't recognize a Texas license, then that other non-resident license could help you there too.  Also Illinois allows Texas residents to have Illinois licenses, so if you ever want to go back to Illinois once you become Texas residents, check up on the process to convert your Illinois license (I assume you have one) to a non-resident license.
View Quote

A Texas LTC involves a pretty extensive back ground check. I heard testimony from a person from DPS last week and he stated that the DPS check information from 5 different sources.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would wait till you get here and skip non-resident. You can start a lot of it right now.
View Quote

This.  Just "One & Done" would be best.

If you really want a non-resident CHL there is FL & UT.  Never hurts to have a 2nd just in case you are in a jurisdiction that doesn't reciprocate with TX.  

FL is reciprocal in Texas, but doesn't bypass the NICS background check.

Nothing says you can't have multiple CHLs ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you really want a non-resident CHL there is FL & UT.  Never hurts to have a 2nd just in case you are in a jurisdiction that doesn't reciprocate with TX.  

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

The reason Florida doesn’t bypass NICS is Florida does not use NICS on purchases. Florida has their own system for purchases, California does too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The reason Florida doesn’t bypass NICS is Florida does not use NICS on purchases. Florida has their own system for purchases, California does too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Not to disagree, but as I understood - Your CHL is only valid to bypass the Brady NICS check if it is from the Same State as your residence (TX CHL in TEXAS) & purchase (In Texas).   Could be completely wrong about that, but I "think" that is the current law since we don't really have national reciprocity ...      

Your 4473 & NICS are Federal right?  They don't call the Texas D.P.S., but it goes to BATFE "Examiners in the East" as I understood the process.

For that matter, I'm not 100% sure on the rules for a Citizen of one state to purchase a firearm in a different state.  I thought that was a NO NO... ??

Anyone in the Know care to Educate Me / Others?

Kind of Jacked Up - since I could fly to FL, walk in and purchase a car or do the same in VT.  But I'm not sure I could fly out to another state & purchase a gun in that state.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not to disagree, but as I understood - Your CHL is only valid to bypass the Brady NICS check if it is from the Same State as your residence (TX CHL in TEXAS) & purchase (In Texas).   Could be completely wrong about that, but I "think" that is the current law since we don't really have national reciprocity ...      

Your 4473 & NICS are Federal right?  They don't call the Texas D.P.S., but it goes to BATFE "Examiners in the East" as I understood the process.

For that matter, I'm not 100% sure on the rules for a Citizen of one state to purchase a firearm in a different state.  I thought that was a NO NO... ??

Kind of Jacked Up - since I could fly to FL, walk in and purchase a car or do the same in VT.  But I'm not sure I could fly out to another state & purchase a gun in that state.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

BIGGER_HAMMER

You can buy a long gun in any state as long as it is legal for you to own it in your state. Handguns can only be bought in your state, or have a FFL ship it to a FFL ship it to your state. NICS is federal, but a state can set up their own as long as they meet a minimum of federal standards.

California has other misdemeanors that federally not bar you from buying a gun, but in California they will bar you from buying a gun. One thing about the California system is it is very fast for approval or denial, but California still has a 10 day wait for any firearm. When you picked up the gun after 10 days you filled out your 4473 and the 4473 and Cal DOJ approval are filed together.

Not all states CHL/LTC’s can bypass NICS because of the background check. Texas is good to go because it does a very through background check including but not limited to NICS. That is one of the reasons they take so long.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not to disagree, but as I understood - Your CHL is only valid to bypass the Brady NICS check if it is from the Same State as your residence (TX CHL in TEXAS) & purchase (In Texas).  
View Quote

Correct.

(i)the transferee has presented to the transferor a permit that—
(I)allows the transferee to possess or acquire a handgun; and
(II)was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place;
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank You both Don & RenegadeX.

Always glad to have access to some of the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to firearms & laws.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Many thanks to all for your recommendations regarding LTC.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will simply go online to the DPS website and submit an address change.  Easy-peasy

You took a class in Texas, right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You will simply go online to the DPS website and submit an address change.  Easy-peasy

View Quote

Question on the class, with so many online classes, couldn’t you take the Texas online class anywhere and take the shooting portion in Texas with a Texas instructor?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Question on the class, with so many online classes, couldn’t you take the Texas online class anywhere and take the shooting portion in Texas with a Texas instructor?
View Quote

Yes sir
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You will simply go online to the DPS website and submit an address change. Easy-peasy

View Quote
+1 Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep. +1 to simply requesting a new card with your new address.

I moved from Texas to Colorado. And then back to Texas. All it took was as stated - update your address through the web. New one shows up in the mail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top