Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2018 5:40:29 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me the deal on purchasing a long gun from an FFL in IL if I'm from MO?

Do I just need my drivers license, complete the 4473, and walk out the door with the firearm, or are there any other differences?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If I recall the "contiguous state sales" clause in the GCA of 1968 correctly, you have to abid by the rules of the state where the purchase was made. If Illinois has a 24 hour wait on the transfer of a long gun, the Illinois based FFL must hold the long gun for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The sale has to comply with laws from both states; IL has a 24 hour waiting period for long guns.
Your purchase as a MO resident would be subject to the waiting period in IL, unless the MO waiting period(if any) is longer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The sale has to comply with laws from both states; IL has a 24 hour waiting period for long guns.
Your purchase as a MO resident would be subject to the waiting period in IL, unless the MO waiting period(if any) is longer.
View Quote
What about the foid requirement?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What about the foid requirement?
View Quote
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

Does not apply to non IL residents

"(b) Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois."
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
But you need to pay the $57 for the hunting permit?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But you need to pay the $57 for the hunting permit?
View Quote
I read it as either/or so NO if you are a contiguous state resident.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I read it as either/or so NO if you are a contiguous state resident.
View Quote
You're right I misread.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're right I misread.
View Quote
I would also suggest to verify store policy.   Just because they can do something, it does not mean they will sell to a non resident.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your help guys... Successful purchase.

What's with the $2 for a nics check though???
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for your help guys... Successful purchase.

What's with the $2 for a nics check though???
View Quote
Unless things have changed, it is an Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP) fee ISP charges to FFL passed to buyer.  Some FFLs charge more to buyer but usually just pass on the $2.  Illinois ISP does their own check and then runs it thru NICS unlike other states where FFLs do it directly I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top