Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2023 2:21:23 PM EDT
Apparently there is no longer crime in Wisconsin, except in my neighborhood and our car windows.

My wife ran out to pick up a pizza and was pulled over by a state trooper. The month and year stickers on her license plate were on the wrong sides. Not unreadable, not expired...on the wrong sides. Apparently it's hard to interpret 24 JAN as JAN 24.
Then he started in on the tinted windows. He could tell the tint level just by looking at them and they're too dark. Never mind that they're factory tint, not some stick on film. I guess we're supposed to replace 4 windows on her Tahoe. I hope he doesn't drive past the Chevy dealer down the street, their lot is full of tickets waiting to happen.

An hour later, our next door neighbor is texting with my wife. She had just been pulled over by a different state trooper. Surprise, her tint was too dark! The neighbor got a fix-it ticket and they have 30 days to comply.

I'm just glad that if there had to be crime in WI, it was outlaws like my wife and my neighbor.
At least no dogs were shot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Must be a new "crackdown" in order to make the streets safer.  I wonder how many tickets they wrote for no front plate?  Must be some new Lt. in the district wanting to impress his higher ups and unleashed his hoard upon the populace.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Really? Cops here don't give a shit about that stuff whether it be locals, county, or state. What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorsePagan] [#3]
My 16 year old got pulled over on his way to school by a state trooper for going 57 in a 55, downhill. Got a warning.

My son had trouble unlocking the glovebox in the 1995 Wrangler and couldn't produce the insurance fast enough, so he got a warning for failure to show insurance and was told to do it faster next time.
My kid looks really young, and was driving a vehicle with hobby plates, but there was almost no real reason for the stop. 1-2 mph over the speed limit for a traffic stop? Never heard of it. I think the trooper thought he was gonna get an unlicensed under age driver.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quiganomics] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NorsePagan:

My son had trouble unlocking the glovebox in the 1995 Wrangler and couldn't produce the insurance fast enough, so he got a warning for failure to show insurance and was told to do it faster next time.
My kid looks really young, and was driving a vehicle with hobby plates, but there was almost no real reason for the stop. 1-2 mph over the speed limit for a traffic stop? Never heard of it. I think the trooper thought he was gonna get an unlicensed under age driver.

My 16 year old got pulled over on his way to school by a state trooper for going 57 in a 55, downhill. Got a warning.
View Quote
I got pulled over doing 27 in a 25 downhill when I was 16. It was right when we moved into Omro...once the cop saw I had an Omro address on my license he let me go. Fucking cash drawer towns.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There are really some folks that shouldn't be in LE.  Not a lot, but some.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Quiganomics:
I got pulled over doing 27 in a 25 downhill when I was 16. It was right when we moved into Omro...once the cop saw I had an Omro address on my license he let me go. Fucking cash drawer towns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Quiganomics:
Originally Posted By NorsePagan:

Sounds like a bunch of "Terry stops" to me. Troopers looking for no insurance, no license/suspended license, open alcohol, etc. State funded money grab.
Gary
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Family member got pulled over and given the drunk driving sham. Reason was they quickly changed lanes and forgot to signal. This was after the cop flew up behind them and pulled the high beams on. Blinding them.  Nearly rear ended them so they quickly changed lanes to get out of the way. Had to do the whole drunk driving drill. Got a warning for improper lane change. Was late at night and no they don't drink.

Wife got pulled over for the window scam. Used car we didn't tint the windows. Got them checked and they were 5% to dark. Yes they have a machine that reads how dark the tint is. He must have been a super trooper to notice 5% to dark.

Getting very sick and tired of these a-holes playing their games. Support the blue my ass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#8]
Originally Posted By SamB:
Apparently there is no longer crime in Wisconsin, except in my neighborhood and our car windows.

My wife ran out to pick up a pizza and was pulled over by a state trooper. The month and year stickers on her license plate were on the wrong sides. Not unreadable, not expired...on the wrong sides. Apparently it's hard to interpret 24 JAN as JAN 24.
Then he started in on the tinted windows. He could tell the tint level just by looking at them and they're too dark. Never mind that they're factory tint, not some stick on film. I guess we're supposed to replace 4 windows on her Tahoe. I hope he doesn't drive past the Chevy dealer down the street, their lot is full of tickets waiting to happen.

An hour later, our next door neighbor is texting with my wife. She had just been pulled over by a different state trooper. Surprise, her tint was too dark! The neighbor got a fix-it ticket and they have 30 days to comply.

I'm just glad that if there had to be crime in WI, it was outlaws like my wife and my neighbor.
At least no dogs were shot.
View Quote
Tint is simple. Go to the Chevy dealer, take pics of her tahoe next to a bunch of new ones with the same tint. Hell have the dealer write a letter stating that its factory AND legal. Hell better yet tell them to measure it. Its not hard to tell if it factory or film.

Plate stickers, well they got you on that. Theres instructions on where to place the month and year stickers right when you get the plates. Years ago they probably wouldnt had cared, but nowadays you have idiots sticking the year stickers all over the plate, sometimes trying to make designs.

2 guys at work have been pulled over for some rather stupid reasons. 1 got pulled over by a local IL cop for having a trailer ball on his bumper. Cop said it blocked his ability to read the plate. Total bull shit reason. Another got pulled (in WI) in his mustang got having a huge mustang logo decal across the rear window, as in HUGE one. Cant obstruct the rear window unless you have a min specific sized side mirrors on both sides.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The tint is bullshit; the license plate is on you.

If you received citations, I'd fight the tint, but bite the bullet on the registration stickers. Not only do they provide clear instructions on the envelope, statute specifically states " any registration decal or tag issued by the department shall be placed on the rear registration plate of the vehicle in the manner directed by the department".

I agree that it's lame, but you gave the man an excuse to pull you over.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#10]
She didn't get a ticket for the tint, trooper just bitched about it. And don't take your seatbelt off while in the car, he bitched about that too. Never mind that she can't reach the glove box for the insurance card with the seatbelt on.
The neighbor who actually got a ticket for the tint is f'ed. Not sure what they're gonna do.

Yes, the sticker thing is totally on me. 24 JAN is an egregious insult to society. JAN 24 keeps all of us safe.
I admit to my criminality. May the state have mercy on my soul!

Fortunately, replacement stickers are free from the DMV.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't mind if the stickers are on the wrong sides...

But for some reason, the people that just plaster the year stickers all over the plate really irk me.  

The only time I've been pulled over for a 'bullshit' reason was when I 'passed' a police officer and it pissed him off.  Eastbound beltline ramp to west 90/94, two lane ramp.  Cop was in the left lane, I was doing the speed limit behind him but in the right lane as I was since about Park street.  I drove that every single day for 5+ years at that point and I did not touch the brakes to take that ramp up onto the interstate.  So I just kept on cruising at 55 while he got on the brakes...so I scooted right past him doing exactly the same 55mph I was doing the last 4 miles.  He immediately pulled me over on the ramp.  Stomped up to my car and told me I was 'an idiot for passing a police officer' and to 'never do that shit again'.  I just stared at him in disbelief....he didn't take my license, he didn't even ask for it.  Just told me to 'get out of here' and stomped back to his cruiser.  

So that was fun.

I would also like to note a time I got pulled over by the nicest cop I ever met.  I was riding my Ducati down 213 between Evansville and Orfordville on my way home from work and I was taking one of the corners in a 'spirited' manner.  I was absolutely speeding, I knew I was speeding but I wasn't going insane speeds I was at probably 70-74ish, and around the corner in the other direction went a cop.  I quickly caught him putting on his brakes right as he passed me so I figured he was probably going to pull me over.  On the other side of the corner I slowed down to 45mph and waited for him.  When I saw him come around the corner with his lights on(which at this point was a couple miles back) I pulled over where it was safe and waited for him.  Had my helmet and bike off before he got to me.  He thanked me for pulling over, told me he had me on the radar at 94(which was complete bullshit) I know for a fact I wasn't going that fast.  But anyway, we talked about the bike for a while and he told me a few stories of when he had to chase bikes.  Then he let me go without even a warning or telling me to slow down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#12]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
I don't mind if the stickers are on the wrong sides...

But for some reason, the people that just plaster the year stickers all over the plate really irk me.  

The only time I've been pulled over for a 'bullshit' reason was when I 'passed' a police officer and it pissed him off.  Eastbound beltline ramp to west 90/94, two lane ramp.  Cop was in the left lane, I was doing the speed limit behind him but in the right lane as I was since about Park street.  I drove that every single day for 5+ years at that point and I did not touch the brakes to take that ramp up onto the interstate.  So I just kept on cruising at 55 while he got on the brakes...so I scooted right past him doing exactly the same 55mph I was doing the last 4 miles.  He immediately pulled me over on the ramp.  Stomped up to my car and told me I was 'an idiot for passing a police officer' and to 'never do that shit again'.  I just stared at him in disbelief....he didn't take my license, he didn't even ask for it.  Just told me to 'get out of here' and stomped back to his cruiser.  

So that was fun.

I would also like to note a time I got pulled over by the nicest cop I ever met.  I was riding my Ducati down 213 between Evansville and Orfordville on my way home from work and I was taking one of the corners in a 'spirited' manner.  I was absolutely speeding, I knew I was speeding but I wasn't going insane speeds I was at probably 70-74ish, and around the corner in the other direction went a cop.  I quickly caught him putting on his brakes right as he passed me so I figured he was probably going to pull me over.  On the other side of the corner I slowed down to 45mph and waited for him.  When I saw him come around the corner with his lights on(which at this point was a couple miles back) I pulled over where it was safe and waited for him.  Had my helmet and bike off before he got to me.  He thanked me for pulling over, told me he had me on the radar at 94(which was complete bullshit) I know for a fact I wasn't going that fast.  But anyway, we talked about the bike for a while and he told me a few stories of when he had to chase bikes.  Then he let me go without even a warning or telling me to slow down.
View Quote
Try getting yelled at by a JPD officer for going around a corner at 30mph on a moped.Told me I could had crashed.

As for the clown on the on ramp (I do know which one you were on), hell I've taken my van around it at 70. Was it Dane Co, MPD or MMPD? I've passed cops before. Dont know what that guys problem was. Maybe he is scared of cornering a car.

So YOU  are the hooligan on the Pasta Rocket thats been terrorizing 213?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SamB:

Fortunately, replacement stickers are free from the DMV.

View Quote

There is no charge, but you have to wait in line at the DMV...so....are they REALLY free?

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I know people in Milwaukee put their tags all over their plate because if it's stuck on the bottom corner, people will use tin snips to cut it off and put it on their car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#15]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

View Quote

On the OTHER end of the spectrum, I remember back when I was stationed at Nellis AFB in Vegas.  My wife and I were taking a drive north out of town in our '64 Vette.  Speed limit out there at the time was "safe and prudent" (yeah, it was THAT long ago), so we were doing about 90 MPH on a straight highway that disappeared into the horizon with not a single other car on the road.  I noticed a car coming up behind me.  He eased into the other lane and slid by us at about 100 MPH.  It was a State Trooper, who just waved as he passed and kept on motoring.  Good times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
Family member got pulled over and given the drunk driving sham. Reason was they quickly changed lanes and forgot to signal. This was after the cop flew up behind them and pulled the high beams on. Blinding them.  Nearly rear ended them so they quickly changed lanes to get out of the way. Had to do the whole drunk driving drill. Got a warning for improper lane change. Was late at night and no they don't drink.

Wife got pulled over for the window scam. Used car we didn't tint the windows. Got them checked and they were 5% to dark. Yes they have a machine that reads how dark the tint is. He must have been a super trooper to notice 5% to dark.

Getting very sick and tired of these a-holes playing their games. Support the blue my ass.
View Quote
Yep. Coming out of the 2020 summer of love fest I was a firm backer of the police. Over the last 3 years they have completely lost any support I had them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Pay attention to Michigan to see who gets state cops' allegiance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Just flip the plate over so the stickers are on the right side. So what if it's upside down. Sticker are right, dip shit can't have it both ways..
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob940] [#19]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
Just flip the plate over so the stickers are on the right side. So what if it's upside down. Sticker are right, dip shit can't have it both ways..
View Quote
Thats a ticket also. Got one (a fix it) for it because a guy I worked with thought it would be funny to flip my rear plate of my truck over. Same as having a plate in a window (has to be on the furthest ends of the vehicle) or not having a front plate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
That's what State Patrol does.  They don't investigate crimes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#21]
@samb

I always have fun with tint pull-overs.  “Oh, you want to see my medical?”  It’s like you kicked their puppy when they see they found the one in four or five people in the state with legal extra-dark tint.  This is one of the few good things about living in Milwaukee County; the cops have WAY better things to do than to chase down tint.  But the outstate cops and state patrol always get annoyed whenever I pass through.  One got really passive aggressive about it until I said I’d remove the tint if he removes my Cluster Headaches.  Apparently someone in his family has them.  Never expected an apology, but he actually did.

FYI, if it’s truly factory installed and you get hauled in on it, cite WI TRANS 305.32(4)(b)(1), 305.32(5)(b)(1), and 305.32(6)(a).
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there an LE exception to the tint law? Local PD seems to think so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like fishing.

Got pulled over for tinted plate covers once.  Just a fix it, but sure were a lot of questions unrelated to the plate cover.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Sounds like fishing.

Got pulled over for tinted plate covers once.  Just a fix it, but sure were a lot of questions unrelated to the plate cover.
View Quote
Mom got pulled for clear ones. Cant have ANYTHING covering the plates. Even frames can be a ticket.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
Mom got pulled for clear ones. Cant have ANYTHING covering the plates. Even frames can be a ticket.
View Quote

The dealer didn't like it when I made them take their frame off the plates. It covered the state and was a good excuse to get their advertising off my car.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
If I was a cop, I wouldn't care about the tinted windows, but I'd probably pull people over for putting their license plate stickers in the wrong spot.  It's not that fucking difficult.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I was about to make a valid point until he started writing tickets and fix-it's...

I would pull people over for some really petty things on traffic grant, but it was grant.  We were supposed to average 6 "vehicle contacts" in 4 hours, so I would scramble to knock six stops out, give six warnings, then go off looking for OWI's or warrants.  My favorite were registration lamp violations.  "Obviously I'm not going to write a ticket for it but I just wanted to let you know your registration lamp is out, never know when you might drive past a trooper that writes tickets for everything so make sure you get it fixed when you get a chance."

I maybe wrote six traffic tickets in my 3 years in law enforcement...

I can't stand cops that write citations over petty shit....
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Towely:
I was about to make a valid point until he started writing tickets and fix-it's...

I would pull people over for some really petty things on traffic grant, but it was grant.  We were supposed to average 6 "vehicle contacts" in 4 hours, so I would scramble to knock six stops out, give six warnings, then go off looking for OWI's or warrants.  My favorite were registration lamp violations.  "Obviously I'm not going to write a ticket for it but I just wanted to let you know your registration lamp is out, never know when you might drive past a trooper that writes tickets for everything so make sure you get it fixed when you get a chance."

View Quote

Long ago, I was on third shift and wrote pretty much ovi tickets only and got some shit for lack of traffic enforcement. So I got 2 fresh books of parking tickets, and spent my "friday" shift writing most of the two books up. Blocking sidewalk, parking in yellow zone, more than 12" from the curb, etc. My sgt thought it was amusing until the calls started coming in about 6:30 am. No one ever mentioned tickets again.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:32:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JVD] [#29]
Originally Posted By Delta_Echo_6:
If I was a cop, I wouldn't care about the tinted windows, but I'd probably pull people over for putting their license plate stickers in the wrong spot.  It's not that fucking difficult.
View Quote

I've always felt people who put those stickers on wrong are just begging for an excuse to get pulled over.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Towely:

View Quote

Because you’re not a petty tyrant. That’s not as ubiquitous as it should be in the the profession
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top