Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2019 10:54:47 AM EDT
Just getting into the nightvision game and struggling to find good places to shoot at night. Anywhere in the Iowa City area to do something like this? Does IA DNR allow target shooting on public hunting lands?

Or any group get togethers to do some night shooting?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:29:23 AM EDT
If you let me play with your fancy gear I might have a spot

My Gen 1 monocular is effective... as a melee weapon

I'm in CR area FWIW
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:20:49 PM EDT
Nothing too fancy, picked up a gen 3 pvs14 with a omni VII tube, Atpial-c, peq2, and a couple cans to round out some clone builds.

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:39:48 PM EDT
I like your style. I'm saving my pennies to put together a similar setup. There is a private range I think I could shoot at after dark, if all weapons were suppressed. A lot of the public ground around me is posted with "no target shooting" signs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2019 6:50:16 PM EDT by DernHumpus]
PM sent. Anyone else hit me up and we might be able to put something together. I can shoot 100 yards at home. Waterloo area..
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:52:42 AM EDT
You can shoot anywhere if you are quiet enough

I haven't seen many public ranges that allow or welcome it without prior communication and approval. I only shoot on private ground now so I don't have to deal with all that BS (thankfully) but I would be sure to communicate with wherever you end up (private or public) what you would like to do and when... I've had the cops and/or DNR show up even after my due diligence and it can get a little tense in the middle of the night.

Nothing like getting yelled at to walk towards them while wearing a helmet, NVG's and several firearms as they shine a shitty Maglite around....
Link Posted: Today 6:28:19 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rbhoover:
You can shoot anywhere if you are quiet enough

I haven't seen many public ranges that allow or welcome it without prior communication and approval. I only shoot on private ground now so I don't have to deal with all that BS (thankfully) but I would be sure to communicate with wherever you end up (private or public) what you would like to do and when... I've had the cops and/or DNR show up even after my due diligence and it can get a little tense in the middle of the night.

Nothing like getting yelled at to walk towards them while wearing a helmet, NVG's and several firearms as they shine a shitty Maglite around....
View Quote
Not only this, I don't think private ranges have any interest in it. My range is dawn-dusk.
Link Posted: Today 10:54:03 PM EDT
I am also in the Waterloo area, there is a real lack of ranges around here that allow any sort of night shooting. You will always have the DNR breathing down your neck typically. I've wanted to get into NV but the lack of any available ranges keeps me from it.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top