Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2022 6:03:29 PM EDT
It says “artificial lights”.  Anyone know?

Raccoons?
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see why not.

https://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping/

Coyote

No closed season. Night Hunting: Coyotes may be hunted at night from Jan. 1 through March 31. Lights may be used, except from a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or OHRV. Coyote night hunters are restricted to shotguns, .22 caliber rimfire, muzzleloaders, or archery equipment in those towns with special rules (see Towns with Special Rules section in Deer Hunting Regulations).
Electronic calling devices are legal.
Written landowner permission, filed with the local conservation officer, is required to hunt coyote at night or to place bait for coyotes.
Baiting is not permitted on ice-covered public waters.
From the close of the bear baiting season through December 15, baiting for coyote will be restricted to the use of meat, animal parts, carrion, or fish only.

Raccoon

Raccoon may be hunted at night. It is illegal to use a rifle or pistol larger than .22 caliber, or shot size larger than number 4 birdshot. It is illegal to take raccoons using a light from a motor vehicle or OHRV.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't see why not.

Coyote

No closed season. Night Hunting: Coyotes may be hunted at night from Jan. 1 through March 31. Lights may be used, except from a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or OHRV. Coyote night hunters are restricted to shotguns, .22 caliber rimfire, muzzleloaders, or archery equipment in those towns with special rules (see Towns with Special Rules section in Deer Hunting Regulations).
Written landowner permission, filed with the local conservation officer, is required to hunt coyote at night or to place bait for coyotes.
From the close of the bear baiting season through December 15, baiting for coyote will be restricted to the use of meat, animal parts, carrion, or fish only.

Raccoon

Raccoon may be hunted at night. It is illegal to use a rifle or pistol larger than .22 caliber, or shot size larger than number 4 birdshot. It is illegal to take raccoons using a light from a motor vehicle or OHRV.

@eric496

I keep reading “light” everywhere.  I think it’s reasonable to presume night vision is Ok, but thermal?  I guess it’s still light in the most general sense.  I’d still want to see it allowed explicitly written.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anything that's not illegal is legal.

https://www.pointoptics.com/night-hunting-laws/#28-new-hampshire
View Quote

Thank you @eric496

I’ll plan to use NV and thermals.

NO, I’m not writing a letter to Fish & Game.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking for a hunting buddy I would love to go coyote hunting.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
What irks me is the 22LR restriction on rifles

300blk with a suppressor would be great for this.  A plus would be the round will not travel as far as a 22LR also.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Samesies.

I'd probably just use an AR with a 22LR conversion kit with my NV strapped on top
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ll refresh thread as things get closer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

300blk with a suppressor would be great for this.  A plus would be the round will not travel as far as a 22LR also.
View Quote

@Archangel1972

That is just for raccoons, correct?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
No coyotes

I would not want to use a shotgun at night  I would prefer to use a rifle and with coyote now you can use 22LR or shotgun or bow ...  I swear we used to be able to use other rifles. But to me add 300BLK to that list it would make a fine Yote gun
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Archangel1972

That is just for raccoons, correct?
View Quote

@C-4

Yeah that would be a hell of a round on a racoon.. a tad bit much I would say.

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Where does it say the caliber restrictions for hunting coyotes?

I would assume it is the same as deer depending on where you are at.

Only thing I seen was written landowner permission for night hunting
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No coyotes

I would not want to use a shotgun at night  I would prefer to use a rifle and with coyote now you can use 22LR or shotgun or bow ...  I swear we used to be able to use other rifles. But to me add 300BLK to that list it would make a fine Yote gun
View Quote

@Archangel1972

I think it’s towns with special rules only?

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, that's only in towns with special rules for deer. I think that's all or most of WMU M?

Coyote night hunters are restricted to shotguns, .22 caliber rimfire, muzzleloaders, or archery equipment in those towns with special rules (see Towns with Special Rules section in Deer Hunting Regulations)

I should buy a thermal for one of my suppressed 5.56s cat.jpg

ETA: Beat like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@eric496

I keep reading “light” everywhere.  I think it’s reasonable to presume night vision is Ok, but thermal?  I guess it’s still light in the most general sense.  I’d still want to see it allowed explicitly written.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see why not.

Coyote

Raccoon

@eric496

@C-4 it says lights may be used except those on a vehicle.

Night vision works through passive ambient light or with an IR emitter (basically a flashlight that emits a wavelength visible through night vision sensor) It's basically a very sensitive camera which you can use an emitter to enhance the "light" available.

Thermal doesn't emit any energy, it only "sees" what heat energy is given off by various objects including the environment and there are no devices available to enhance that image, nor do you need any. It's basically a camera that sees a different spectrum (heat) of energy and not the light spectrum.

ETA: fuck NH Fun & Games
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Night vision works through passive ambient light or with an IR emitter (basically a flashlight that emits a wavelength visible through night vision sensor) It's basically a very sensitive camera which you can use an emitter to enhance the "light" available.

Thermal doesn't emit any energy, it only "sees" what heat energy is given off by various objects including the environment and there are no devices available to enhance that image, nor do you need any. It's basically a camera that sees a different spectrum (heat) of energy and not the light spectrum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see why not.

Coyote

Raccoon

@eric496

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah @c-4

I read the previous link and it made me think they must have changed the night hunting. I could not find that anywhere else so, sorry for my confusion.

SO YAY for hunting with suppressors and yay for hunting with 300BLK w. suppressor!
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I have NV and a suppressed 300 BLK. Let me know when you boys are gonna do this, I’m down to tag along if anyone needs a partner.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah @c-4

I read the previous link and it made me think they must have changed the night hunting. I could not find that anywhere else so, sorry for my confusion.

SO YAY for hunting with suppressors and yay for hunting with 300BLK w. suppressor!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have NV and a suppressed 300 BLK. Let me know when you boys are gonna do this, I’m down to tag along if anyone needs a partner.
View Quote

I will post more here when the time comes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Black Friday got me for a thermal scope. Definitely need to get on this now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#22]
There's a bunch by me. I get out of work at midnight so plan on getting some.

I'll be boring and just use flashlights though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to do some night hunting.  I've got suppressed .22s and two sets of NODs but nowhere to hunt at night.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd love to do some night hunting.  I've got suppressed .22s and two sets of NODs but nowhere to hunt at night.
View Quote

If you are anywhere around Barnstead, I’m working on a few spots at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you are anywhere around Barnstead, I'm working on a few spots at the moment.
View Quote
I'm about 20 minutes from there.

If anyone wants to go to the range, hit me up.  I have a membership at Major Waldrons.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Some of my spots fell through. I have one that I hunted for the first time last night but it’s pretty heavily wooded and not ideal. I did manage to call in a bobcat, it was cool to watch it trough thermal.

Having said that, I have thermal scope, thermal monocular, expensive ass call, suppressor, and tripod. What I need is a decent property with a landowner that will sign the night hunting permission slip or someone to hunt with who has that already. I like model trains, hit me up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It should read .22 rimfire.

This would be my one reason to get a .22Mag and set it up with thermal.
 I is a dummy

I have at least four different dogs which hang out on my place or pass through.  Some of them are going to either get the day time .223 treatment or nighttime .22mag love.

Example from recent
Attachment Attached File

and this fluffy little guy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
You can shoot them at night with any caliber so long as you don’t reside in a city/county with the shotgun restrictions.

Night hunting raccoon is limited to .22 or smaller.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can shoot them at night with any caliber so long as you don’t reside in a city/county with the shotgun restrictions.

Night hunting raccoon is limited to .22 or smaller.
View Quote

Well crap, just re-read that section.

My excuse for a new gun is gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top