Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 2:30:57 AM EDT
Made the wife dinner, had the kitchen cleaned by 6pm... thought tonight would be a good night to get out and smoke some yotes. Soon it will be too damn hot. Got set up in a field that usually produces. I had one come out of the woods about 200 yards away... held off, it move away. A short time later I saw one come from the woods kind of in the direction the one went earlier... could have been the same one... who knows. Hit the caller a few times and she made her way closer... shot her at about 125 yards.

Nothing else showed up so after about an hour I moved to a completely different area where I know for a fact coyotes hang out... it's a big field near the county waste facility... I've killed yotes here before but haven't hunted this field for perhaps a year or longer. I came in off the main road, killed my lights, and drove about 300 yards and stopped about 100 yards before a fence line that separates the private property I was on from a split piece of land that's owned by an industrial company and the the other part by the county.

There must have been a yote in the field I passed because no sooner that I got set up I swung my turret 180-degrees just to look back towards the highway from which I just came and damned if this female wasn't between me and the highway... she was a good 300+ yards out. A few short sessions on the caller and she got within 100 yards and she got hammered.

After a quick photo-op and a social media post, I got back in my set up and started calling... within 30 minutes or less two came burning in from my right parallel to the aforementioned fence line. They stopped at about my 1:00 and I hammered this nice male. The other took off, and of course I slung some lead but didn't cut a hair. I was quite happy when I got to the downed yote and realized he was a black coyote.

All in all it was a great night... wasn't as cold as I'd like to have been but enough to keep the skeeters at bay. They showed up at dark but cooler weather ran them off. Rifle was a home built 6.5 Grendel with an 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel, Trijicon Hunter MK III 35mm, and home-rolled 123gr SST's.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn fine shootin there brother.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a nice relaxing night I could enjoy!  I can't so I'll live my relaxation through your adventures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I see thermal for the rifle- Are you using thermal on a handheld unit or something to spot them as well?

Think this could be done with NODs and without thermal? I am waiting on NODs but do not have thermal. Yet.

Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see thermal for the rifle- Are you using thermal on a handheld unit or something to spot them as well?

Think this could be done with NODs and without thermal? I am waiting on NODs but do not have thermal. Yet.

Looks like fun.
View Quote

I'm using the Thermal on the rifle to scan.

Hands down, thermal for hunting. You can do it with NOD's and an IR laser but your range is going to be significantly limited as will your detection range... been there, done that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What thermal are you using. I use a IR HUNTER 35 mm to hunt hogs here. Tried the NODS and ir laser you right range is limited as well as detection. I use nods to walk with. Your also right the heat and bugs are horrible in the summer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What thermal are you using. I use a IR HUNTER 35 mm to hunt hogs here. Tried the NODS and ir laser you right range is limited as well as detection. I use nods to walk with. Your also right the heat and bugs are horrible in the summer.
View Quote

Same... IR Hunter MK III 35mm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]
You need to the change the thread title...it was a good night, but not a good night for the Coyotes .

Nice to see the 6.5G getting some kills.  I've used the SST's on hogs and they dropped instantly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Bow, wanna come to Naples and do some city hunting?

They are thick.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Even though you didn’t reach out about this hunt, I’m still happy for you, brother.  The texts and pics you were sending of this hunt while I was at home only further rubbed it in.  

We need to get out in the field together again SOON, but in the meantime we will be enjoying our NV toys with that One Minute Class coming up in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Great post!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top