Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2019 6:14:40 PM EDT
I'm headed up to Niagara in a few weeks for business and for the kick off of their wine fest.  Anyone been to it before?  If so, how is it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Never been to the festival, but my wife and I go to Niagara-on-the-Lake every year. We've been to several of the wineries.

How much do you know about Canadian wine?

The area is well known for icewine, especially from Inniskillin. That is good stuff.

Whites can be ok, but the price points will be well above what you're used to in the US to get drinkable wine. Most reds are pretty bad, even the very expensive ones, eg. Tawse. In my opinion the best reds in the area come from Ravine, which is one of the smallest operations. We've had decent red from Creekside and Jackson-Triggs. Megalomaniac has a beautiful property but their wine is awful.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
Never been to the festival, but my wife and I go to Niagara-on-the-Lake every year. We've been to several of the wineries.

How much do you know about Canadian wine?

The area is well known for icewine, especially from Inniskillin. That is good stuff.

Whites can be ok, but the price points will be well above what you're used to in the US to get drinkable wine. Most reds are pretty bad, even the very expensive ones, eg. Tawse. In my opinion the best reds in the area come from Ravine, which is one of the smallest operations. We've had decent red from Creekside and Jackson-Triggs. Megalomaniac has a beautiful property but their wine is awful.

Hope this helps
View Quote
Well I spend most of my time in Quebec so I'm all to familiar with ice cider and cheval meat.  I grew up on Lake Erie, so I'm familiar with ON ice wine and know some of those little 200ml bottles can go for 100$.
I'll be sure to be wary of the reds even though that's my poison in regards to wine.

Any suggestions are always appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TnMike:

Well I spend most of my time in Quebec so I'm all to familiar with ice cider and cheval meat.  I grew up on Lake Erie, so I'm familiar with ON ice wine and know some of those little 200ml bottles can go for 100$.
I'll be sure to be wary of the reds even though that's my poison in regards to wine.

Any suggestions are always appreciated.
View Quote
https://ravinevineyard.com/shop/detail/2017-redcoat

https://creeksidewine.com/shop/product/cabernet-merlot3

http://on.jacksontriggswinery.com/product/Jackson-Triggs-Reserve-Series-Meritage

All of the above should be decent. At least if your taste in wine is similar to mine

Many of the reds are unpleasantly smoky or have really odd flavor notes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn’t end up partaking in there wine fest, but did my own. The reds were fur sure different. Niagara is a cool place for a few days. I’m actually surprised that after gambling, tips and beer, I walked out of the Falls View with an extra $3 in my pocket.

Back in Le Swamp tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top