Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2018 11:48:02 PM EDT
Let's start planning for the next Utah Hometown Meet & Shoot.

Location will be North Springs Range outside of Price, which is literally a world-class shooting complex with more ranges than you can shake a stick at.  To really get an appreciation for the range, you'll want to spend more than a day there if you can.

In the past, I've done events that were 3 days and 2 nights, so we could get night fire in.  The facilities really are more than capable to fulfill most of your shooting disciplines and more.

There is local catering in town that is great, or we can potluck with the pavilion kitchen at the cowboy town.

I'm thinking we can do at least a 2, if not 3 day event.  Do some camping in the campgrounds with some survival tips, campfire, story-telling, etc.

If you want to just plink, with some of the coolest ranges you've ever seen, there's plenty of room for that.

If you want to show off your pistolero or rifle skills, there's plenty of room for that.

It will be a great time and opportunity to meet fellow Arfcommers, lovers of 2A, and Utahans.

The range is year-round accessible, 6600ft elevation about 15 minutes south of Price.  Range fee is only $8 a head, which is crazy for what the range provides.

Ranges and facilities include:

* 1000yd rifle range with steel every 50yds, from 200-1000yds, multiple steel targets, gongs and silhouette racks (Nearby restrooms with running water)

* 600yd rifle range right next to it with the same, 200-600yds

* Multiple 100 and 50yd bays
* LE Range
* Cowboy Action Town with pavilion, kitchen, nice restrooms, 18 different bays including 2-story/balcony with Long Range targets to be engaged from the windows

* Buffalo Canyon Range with steel targets out to 800 and 1100yds

* Over The Edge canyon range with countless steel targets

* Campgrounds Western style with picturesque landscape

Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Since this shoot will be about 200 miles from my house, I am out...
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since this shoot will be about 200 miles from my house, I am out...
View Quote
That's gotta be Bear Lake distance on the border.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That range looks awesome, I wouldn't rule it out but it may be a bit far for me and I'm not sure I can afford too many days away from home.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a 2hr 15minute drive from the Salt Lake Valley.

The nice thing is that all the targets are ready to rock.  No need to go crazy setting up stands, stapling, etc.  For those that want close range targets, I can do ADVON and set up some stages in the bays that we'll use.  They have tons of plate racks, dueling trees, Yosemite Sams, card game steel, so I personally like to work the plate racks when I'm doing pistol or PCC drills.  I just did that last weekend.

No need to worry about 4 wheelers and bikes driving by, trash disposal from people who think the desert is their dump site, road access, etc.

I find that when I drive out into the West Desert, drive time is usually 1 - 1hr 20, depending on what site.

Then we'll spend about 30-45 minutes putting out steel, the farther we want to shoot and more targets, the longer it takes.

Once we're done, we have to break down, taking another 30-45 minutes, then drive back for the 1-1hr 20.

Or I can drive 2:15 to NS, check in at the lodge, set up at the range, and start shooting.

Once we're done, sweep up brass, load vehicles, and leave.

We'll run 2-3 days, but people can show up whenever they want, based on their schedules.

It will be interesting to have people from Northern UT meet up with those from St. George, Santa Clara, Washington, Hurricane, Cedar City, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds pretty fun.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in.  I have the ability to adjust my work schedule to have a 3 day weekend and I have the gear to stay out for that length of time.  I'd even take an extra day off to do an ADVON for an extra day, since they're open Th-Sun.

Looks like I'm bringing my entire safe and gear closet
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to, work schedule accommodating. Probably only manage one day but I'd drive in from Farmington for it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm new to the area how long does it take to get there from st george
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm new to the area how long does it take to get there from st george
View Quote
4hr 15 minutes from St. George (this is the farthest major city you can be from North Springs)

3hr 36 minutes from Cedar City

1hr 38 minutes from Provo

2hr 33 minutes from Bountiful

2hr 47 minutes from Ogden

3hr 30 minutes from Logan

2hr 16 minutes from West Jordan

2hr 10 minutes from Draper
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks like a sick range, i would be up for something like that. I am still kicking myself for not going to this past one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you all think about having some fun, scenario-based stages of fire for different firearms and ranges set-up in advance?

Examples:

Pistol Work-

* Plate Rack challenge with games (maybe play for money, small bills)

They have plenty of plate racks

* Enter and clear a room with multiple targets in Cowboy Town

* Night pistol work in the house with weapon lights, handheld lights, lasers

Carbine work-

* Enter and clear a room in cowboy town, then run up the stairs and engage targets out to 200yds, then exit the town and engage targets in Buffalo Canyon out to 500yds

* Flat range CQM, turners and movers

* Night carbine work in Close Quarters with weapon lights

Long Range

* Long Range stages on 600yd and 1000yd ranges with spotters

* Long Range at Over The Edge and/or Buffalo Canyon

To do all of this, we can organize with self-RO's at each stage who have experience doing these various tasks.  I did a Multi-Gun course that did all of the above a number of years ago, and it was a blast.  It was 3 days, 2 nights, finished with a culmination exercise where you had to apply all the skills learned in the course into a final event that started in the Cowboy Town, then progressed to Buffalo Canyon and Over The Edge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I am totally in!

I'm an NRA RSO, and have helped RO at multiple shooting events including IDPA, 3-Gun, and long range events.

Since there may be quite a few that have never done this kind of thing, maybe we should do some introductory type matches, just something to get their feet wet?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
It would be nice if one of the days we could close down cowboy town for some real long range from the Barnes shack.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am totally in!

I'm an NRA RSO, and have helped RO at multiple shooting events including IDPA, 3-Gun, and long range events.

Since there may be quite a few that have never done this kind of thing, maybe we should do some introductory type matches, just something to get their feet wet?
View Quote
Thanks for that.

I think a balance between a relatively informal, yet focused shooting opportunities with some stages from various disciplines, will really be both fun and expansive to all of us by sharing our different experiences.

On one hand, we want people to have an open feeling where there isn't any intimidation from a formal competitive scenario.

On the other hand, it's great to get around shooters who have pursued a particular discipline for decades, learn from them, and have fun shooting at the same time, while getting to know each other better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ll come up for this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Schedule permitting I am in!!  I will be coming from the Ogden area.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be in for this as well.  Depending on the dates chosen.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Good idea!  I will go for at least a day probably two.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd be down, as long as it's not first week of April.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in, if anybody in the Vernal area wants a ride PM me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Should we start planning on a date for the event?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Should we start planning on a date for the event?
View Quote
If we want to do a winter suckfest, we can do that.

It has year-round access.

If you want to do a Fall before it gets too crazy, it will still be cold, but chances are higher of sunny, pleasant days....roll the dice.

Or we can do "spring", whatever that is in Utah, ha.

Bring your arctic suit and Borat mankini.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I was down there once in March after it had snowed for a DM class with LRRP.  High temperature was 17 Fahrenheit, 30 mph full value wind gusting to 40-45 mph.  Learned that.308 isn’t as great in the wind as everyone says
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to the OP for posting this range. I recently moved to Utah and had no idea this exist. Looks amazing. I live in Salt Lake county.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks to the OP for posting this range. I recently moved to Utah and had no idea this exist. Looks amazing. I live in Salt Lake county.
View Quote
If you ever want to drive down some time, give me a holler.

I would live at that range if I could.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Saturday looks to be a good day
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you ever want to drive down some time, give me a holler.

I would live at that range if I could.
View Quote
Sure! Since I'm new here, I need to make new like minded friends.
The really exciting part is the shoot town. https://youtu.be/MecrTqQPrlI
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#28]
The AMAZING North Springs Shooting Range, with DTA
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd be in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's gotta be Bear Lake distance on the border.
View Quote
3 hours 45 minutes or 195 miles from Brigham City...  As fun as it would be, I am not able to make that trip.  My work schedule will simply not allow it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
spartanglory11 and I went down there yesterday for ADVON and to do some long range, as well as some CQM with his Omega MP5K 9mm suppressed.

Shooting distance in Buffalo Canyon on the steel targets was fun as usual, started with his SPR Mk.12 clone and 75gr Hornady, as well as my 12" 6.5 Grendel pistol.

We went over to one of the flat ranges to do plate rack speed drills with the suppressed MP5K and Aiming T1, which is giggle-fun.

I talked with Scott (Rangemaster) about the Hometown Forum Shoot, and he said just let him know and make sure we RO it well.

There's a pavilion at the cowboy town with a modern kitchen if we want to cook/eat, use bathrooms, with running hot water.  Very modern facilities.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like fun.   I might be able to show up depending on the schedule.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been to that range, and it's worth the drive. It's a day trip from SLC.

I think a campout in the winter is going to be a tough sell.

Here's me in September shooting up Buffalo Canyon. The Sunday we went, we were the only people in cowboy town.

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m in the ogden area. We have some good shooting but I would be down for a spring shoot. I would have to make a weekend out of it but what the hell?  I could maybe round up a couple buddy’s.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Camping at North Springs is basically boondocking. Bring your own water & toilet.

Huntington State Park is nearby, and nice.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Camping at North Springs is basically boondocking. Bring your own water & toilet.

Huntington State Park is nearby, and nice.
View Quote
North Springs has brand new latrine buildings with hot running water at:

* The main lodge by the 1000yd, 600yd, and several 100 and 50yd bays
* LE Training Center
* Cowboy Town Pavilion

The campsite I normally use has a picnic table, 55gal trash drum, and fire pit.

There is an area for RV parking as well, but I don't think they have hook-ups.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I've wanted to go shoot at their range for years.  Do they have any charge for overnighting on their grounds?  It would be great to set up the camper so close.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've wanted to go shoot at their range for years.  Do they have any charge for overnighting on their grounds?  It would be great to set up the camper so close.
View Quote
Yes, but the fees are ridiculously low.

Daily range fee is $10.  I think camping is something like $15 for overnight in the campsite, and a little more for a camper maybe.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm lazy, if we do a two day shoot town is only 20 minutes away with plenty of restaurants and hotels.

If we bail on camping we could do the shoot anytime we want, winter or not.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Count me IN.

Any date you pick is fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#41]
OP, this is the first time I've been in the hometown forum in months.  Make sure you text me when you've got a date, I'm only an hour away and will definitely make it.  I'll bring my boys too.

I'd even be in for a winter suck-fest if you want to.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Definitely in, just need dates
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I wanna go.

But only if we make a rule that nobody gets to dress all tacticool unless they actually look like an operator.  No 250lb 5'7" Burger Hunters if you know what I mean.

I dont wanna have to defend my online mall ninja acquaintances to my real life friends when they make fun of pics from the shoot    It's hard enough converting new shooters
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wanna go.

But only if we make a rule that nobody gets to dress all tacticool unless they actually look like an operator.  No 250lb 5'7" Burger Hunters if you know what I mean.

I dont wanna have to defend my online mall ninja acquaintances to my real life friends when they make fun of pics from the shoot    It's hard enough converting new shooters
View Quote
I only wear jeans, boots and flannel.

Some people didn't join because they'd punch a drill sergeant. I didn't join because I can't wear flannel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wanna go.

View Quote
Well at the first shoot there were zero mall ninjas, just regular folk who like to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well at the first shoot there were zero mall ninjas, just regular folk who like to shoot.
View Quote
Well, I am 245 and about 6' tall.  I didn't feel like it was necessary to wear my Team Wendy ballistic helmet at the last event.  I believe that Aaron summed it up nicely.  Just normal folks who like to shoot.  Of course, I will not be gracing the Utah HTF with my presence at the next event because it is too far for me to drive.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#47]
What are we thinking for dates?  It's a bit of a drive for me but it sounds like a cool place.  I'm interested but it depends.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I can support pretty much any time of year.

I enjoy going there in the dead of winter and purposely schedule some of my courses during that time, but nice weather is more pleasant to shoot in.

You normally don't start seeing 50° weather in that area until April.

They have giant space heaters under all the covered range facilities for the weak and infirm, which I seem to be headed towards lately.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like my work schedule is about to change, giving me every other weekend off. I won’t know my schedule for a few weeks, but if I’m off, I’ll plan on being there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I haven't been in this forum for quite a few months, I am glad I stopped in and saw this thread.  I am in WJ and never knew this place existed.

Count me in!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top